GLB Christmas Ale

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I had been eyeing this recipe for my next brew, then, when in Cleveland last weekend enjoyed the real thing on tap.
Decision made, I want to try to brew this one.

I forget who I poached the recipe from, but please have a look and tell me what you think.
TIA
Craigerrr

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/718882/great-lakes-christmas-ale-clone

Questions would be

I selected balanced profile, is this a good water profile for this one?

When to add the honey

GLBC lists 7.5%, recipe is 7.27%
author warns not add more honey, should I increase the grain bill, or brew it at 7.27?

I assume the spices go in after fermentation is complete, comments?

looks solid, looking at the salts are you starting with RO water?

Reactions: J A
I had been eyeing this recipe for my next brew, then, when in Cleveland last weekend enjoyed the real thing on tap.
Decision made, I want to try to brew this one.

I forget who I poached the recipe from, but please have a look and tell me what you think.
TIA
Craigerrr

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/718882/great-lakes-christmas-ale-clone

Questions would be

I selected balanced profile, is this a good water profile for this one?

When to add the honey

GLBC lists 7.5%, recipe is 7.27%
author warns not add more honey, should I increase the grain bill, or brew it at 7.27?

I assume the spices go in after fermentation is complete, comments?

*I don't see a problem with balanced water
*I would add the honey at flameout or near the end of fermentation. I personally, like to add it at the end so I get an accurate OG.
*I wouldn't worry too much about the abv because the chances of hitting 7.27% on the nose are little to none since you haven't brewed it before. You may end up higher or lower depending on your efficiency and yeast's attenuation. If you're worried about being too low, I would bump up the base malt.
*I normally add spices with 5 minutes remaining in the boil. Be careful with the ginger. Fresh ginger can be very overpowering so I use ground.I don't have a reference how much 0.92 oz of ginger is but it seems like a lot.

Just my opinions so you can take it with a grain of salt if you like.

Last edited:
a new local brewery uses honey in their ales, and they come out quite dry. if don't use any honey and you can get more of a good full bodied ale. If you do use honey it could turn out at a lower final gravity and have a nice sharp crispness to it. Your choice.

add your spices at the end of the boil to sterilize. Like said above, fresh ginger is really spicy, and can take over if you don't have too much experience using it.

edit: I was confused.

Looks okay to me.. With most English or Belgian yeasts, I like adding adjunct sugars after fermentation has progressed a bit. Maybe day 2 or so. I wouldn't worry about sanitation with honey, just open a fresh bottle or jar and dump it in. For bulk stuff you have to be a little more concerned, but honey is naturally a pretty aseptic substance.

I was at my LHBS today, and picked up the yeast, he recommended that I use the escarpment labs English Ale I. I bought it, so adjusted the recipe, ABV took a shit kicking, but that's okay with me. More interested in flavor than ABV.

Last edited:
Looks okay to me.. With most English or Belgian yeasts, I like adding adjunct sugars after fermentation has progressed a bit. Maybe day 2 or so. I wouldn't worry about sanitation with honey, just open a fresh bottle or jar and dump it in. For bulk stuff you have to be a little more concerned, but honey is naturally a pretty aseptic substance.
Thanks for the input JA!

a new local brewery uses honey in their ales, and they come out quite dry. if don't use any honey and you can get more of a good full bodied ale. If you do use honey it could turn out at a lower final gravity and have a nice sharp crispness to it. Your choice.

add your spices at the end of the boil to sterilize. Like said above, fresh ginger is really spicy, and can take over if you don't have too much experience using it.

edit: I was confused.
Thank you for the input Oliver!

*I don't see a problem with balanced water
*I would add the honey at flameout or near the end of fermentation. I personally, like to add it at the end so I get an accurate OG.
*I wouldn't worry too much about the abv because the chances of hitting 7.27% on the nose are little to none since you haven't brewed it before. You may end up higher or lower depending on your efficiency and yeast's attenuation. If you're worried about being too low, I would bump up the base malt.
*I normally add spices with 5 minutes remaining in the boil. Be careful with the ginger. Fresh ginger can be very overpowering so I use ground.I don't have a reference how much 0.92 oz of ginger is but it seems like a lot.

Just my opinions so you can take it with a grain of salt if you like.
All advice is welcome, especially when asked for :p:p:p. If I plan to add the honey to the fermenter, i suppose I could monkey around with the recipe to get a reference point for OG without the honey.
Thanks for the caution on the ginger, i guess it's like salt on your fries, or sugar in your coffee. You can always add more next time, but you can't take it out.

I'm really curious with the Escarpment stuff, being Canadian and all.

I used their Cali ale yeast on the Lagunitas IPA clone that I dry hopped tonight. Will let you know the difference in taste between this and what I used on the same recipe I am drinking now. I will buy shit from China when it is a no brainer, but I like supporting local talent. Escarpment is right in my backyard.

I had really good results adding honey (not pastuerized) right as the krausen was dropping on my last honey wheat. Enough activity still going to scrub the O2 out and ferment out the honey quickly, enough yeast and ABV to discourage any bacteria or wild yeast from taking hold.

Reactions: J A
Thanks White Haus

Question on the Hops. Recipe calls for some mount hood. I have some Fuggles, and east kent on hand, they are roughly the same A/A.
Are either of these a good substitute for mount hood?
Or should I just get some mount hood when I get my other ingredients at the LHBS?

Acording to the chart in "brewing classic styles" book, yes they will both sub.

Awesome, thanks

Fermentation is done on this one, FG 1011, attenuation 85.3%.
Escarpment Labs English Ale I yeast lists average attenuation as 67%, FG was supposed to be 1021.
This puts ABV at 8.4%
Set ferm fridge to 31F to crash, put sample in the fridge to cool, will give it a taste shortly

Yeeouch! That's a pretty big disparity. Better be sure you don't have some help from unwanted little friends. Are you really confident it's done? If you had a bug it might keep going.

I was pretty confident as air lock activity had stopped completely.
It takes a couple of days for my ferm fridge to bring it down to 31F, should I leave it for 2 or 3 days then check the gravity again?
The sample tasted good, or at least okay anyway

I was pretty confident as air lock activity had stopped completely.
It takes a couple of days for my ferm fridge to bring it down to 31F, should I leave it for 2 or 3 days then check the gravity again?
Never trust the airlock. :cool:
Yes, definitely check it over 2-3 days at fermentation temp. It's probably done but hydro readings are absolutely the only way to be sure. ;)

Back