Water treatment, NEIPA

Maybe it is the ph, have to rely on the water calculator here which said it's fine. Guess I'm going to stop treating my water. Just thought reversing that ratio of sulfate to chloride to 1:2 would be an improvement, since it says so in almost every article you read on NEIPAs.

Thanks for all the input!

I have a couple of clarifying questions for you.

Is this the same recipe as the previous batches that you liked? I assume so, but just to clarify.

Where did you get the starting water profile? Is it from a lab test, or from your water supplier?

Was the water the same water other than the salt and acid additions you made.

I am no expert on water, but I have learned enough to have gone to RO water and adding salts/acids to get to a desired water profile. My beer improved right away. My tap water has chloromine in it so that may have been the biggest factor in beer improvement. But the point is that treating my water with salts or acids did not make my beer worse.

Cheers!

Is this the same recipe as the previous batches that you liked? I assume so, but just to clarify.
-> Yes it is.

Where did you get the starting water profile? Is it from a lab test, or from your water supplier?
-> It's from the water supplier.

Was the water the same water other than the salt and acid additions you made.
-> I had a previous batch, tap water but with chloride as well as gypsum additions. Was also too harsh, but not as bad as this batch. Thought it was due to the gypsum. So for the last batch I diluted my tap water with distilled water and added only 5 grams of chloride. The effect is, that it is now nearly undrinkable.

You can follow what I did in the link I put in one of my posts. According to the calculator ph and everything else should have been fine. Now of course I don't know how exact the stats from my water supplier are.

Cheers!

Maybe that is the issue, maybe the water report is not accurate. As I noted my beer improved, a lot, when I started using RO water and adding salts and acid to get to a target profile. RO water costs me about $6 per batch, money well spent in my mind. Maybe give that a try.
Good luck,
Craigerrr

Maybe that is the issue, maybe the water report is not accurate. As I noted my beer improved, a lot, when I started using RO water and adding salts and acid to get to a target profile. RO water costs me about $6 per batch, money well spent in my mind. Maybe give that a try.
Good luck,
Craigerrr
Remember, municipal water is variable over time, depending on season, where the water is coming from ion concentrations can be half or double the average. The thing RO water gives you is consistency in the water supply but it's not without problems. The RO process strips everything out of the water, including micro-nutrients your yeast need, things like Zinc and Manganese. I'd supplement the boil with some yeast nutrient to give the nutrients back for a more healthy fermentation.

Oh that's a good piece of advice, I will have to start doing that myself.

Thanks nosey. I'm going down the ro trail as well. Using my old RO/DI unit from my aquarium hobby days.

Back