Show us your Homebrew!

Citrus Orange Wit... One of the best beers I've ever drank commercial or otherwise... Credit David Heath of Grainfather for the recipe
citrus-orange-wit.jpg

View attachment 3448
Only a week in the bottle. Looks great to me but there is an off flavor -

Diactyl in Hefeweizen?

Wasn't there before I bottled it... Sanitization was top notch... I did use a Spiese method for bottling but I did boil the Spiese for ten minutes and then cooled before pitching... Do you think that it is just the early work of the yeast on fresh wort? Might it clear up in a couple weeks? I plan to bring it to a wedding but not if it tastes like butterscotch.
--- It isn't undrinkable, just a hefe with a butterscotch flavor. --- Hoping it clears up - sitting in a closet in the 70's right now.
It's been a few more weeks how did that Hefeweizen turn out?

I agree. I never tire of the C's. I've got my 1st round of cascades and chinook dried. Thinking about popping a top on a keg and heaping in a few oz's.

Amen Brother!

Lemon Drop Saison brewed back on May 5th 7.8% ABV, 15 days in the fermenter, 3 weeks bulk conditioned @45°, 8 weeks bottled conditioned. Purchased the ingredients locally at the LHBS based on the recipe in the link. Put this one in the fridge a few days ago to check progress... it taste as good as it looks... very complex flavor profile with aggressive carbonation

It's been a few more weeks how did that Hefeweizen turn out?
Not good in my opinion. Tart. Others have liked it but I dont care for it. Next time will be with a different yeast and I will probably just keg it.

Not good in my opinion. Tart. Others have liked it but I dont care for it. Next time will be with a different yeast and I will probably just keg it.

Everything else I have made has come out great. Wedding party demolished my Marzen and blonde ale! But hefeweizen continues to elude me! It is maddening! Lol

I am only set up to do BIAB 10 liters at a time I always keg 5 liters (1.75 gal keg) and bottle 5 liters to share with friends... The bottled beers always taste better to me, cleaner and more subtle flavors...

I did a Weihenstephaner Clone first week of May that I put together based on this article Hefe Weissbier, Bavarian Style @ BA for a small family reunion... I kegged all 10 liters for serving convenience... Two weeks in the fermenter @ 66° - 70°, one week CC @50° and two weeks on CO2 @ 12 PSI before I even tasted it... It came out exactly as I had hoped but I think next time I will ramp up the temp higher to get more banana... the head was creamy and frothy I think the mash schedule played a direct role in this... my brother in law who only drinks Bud Light thought it was great... I would like to have had some in a bottle to see where it is now...

For 5 liters (14-15 12oz bottles) I use 35 - 45 grams of table sugar (depends on the style) with ¼ cup of distilled water boiled for 5 min... I put a liquid out ball lock fitting on my bottling wand then fill my 1.75 gal keg with the sugar water and 5 liters of beer... purge the keg then crank my regulator down to about 1 pound and bottle away... after I'm done I'll run a little PBW through the hole thing to clean it up...

Last edited:
Everything else I have made has come out great. Wedding party demolished my Marzen and blonde ale! But hefeweizen continues to elude me! It is maddening! Lol

Same here. Hefe has got to be one of the hardest to actually nail down...correctly anyways. I've given up completely on the Wlp strains. I get too much pineapple/pear/citrus type flavors no matter what I do. None have been bad or undrinkable and everyone else has loved them, but I can tell. Haha. Agreed on the maddening!

Hefeweizen is a difficult one. I finally got a good one by fermenting very cold. Screw the underpitch nonsense, ferment it in the low '60's and let it throw clove flavor. Much tastier and less transient - Hefeweizen is not a long-lived beer - than the upper end and its banana/bubblegum flavors.

Hefeweizen is a difficult one. I finally got a good one by fermenting very cold. Screw the underpitch nonsense, ferment it in the low '60's and let it throw clove flavor. Much tastier and less transient - Hefeweizen is not a long-lived beer - than the upper end and its banana/bubblegum flavors.

I'd have to agree with you. I do find them much better fermented cold. At least for my tastes.
Hey @Nosybear do you use Inland much? I've yet to try it out, but interested in giving a local yeast producer a shot.

I've used their American Ale blend and their Saison blend, both to good effect. I like the no-starter aspect. All I've heard about them has been good and at 200 billion cells per bottle, saves me a bunch of DME doing starters. My only problem is their selection is pretty limited.

Same here. Hefe has got to be one of the hardest to actually nail down...correctly anyways. I've given up completely on the Wlp strains. I get too much pineapple/pear/citrus type flavors no matter what I do. None have been bad or undrinkable and everyone else has loved them, but I can tell. Haha. Agreed on the maddening!
Good to know that I am at least not the only one who finds them tough... lol

Back