SMaSH NEIPA... What is your favorite hop?

what hop is your favorite?

• Amarillo

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Hallertau Blanc

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Centennial

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Huell Melon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mandarina Bavaria

• Nelson

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Jarrylo

• Cashmere

• Vic Secret

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Sorachi

• Total voters

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
It's summer, I want to brew an IPA. I want it to be a SMaSH beer.

I want to know what your favorite hop is, and WHY. flavor descriptors, aroma descriptors, etc.

Here's my recipe:
Water
Ca: 115, Mg: 5, Na: 10, Cl: 200, SO4: 50

Malts
100% 2-row, (or Maris, or whatever)

Hops
I DON'T KNOW YET, HELP ME OUT

Yeast
WLP095 Burlington Ale

Citra, Mosaic and Cascade

Tough to choose 1 but centennial is a tried and true duel purpose hop and can make a juicy neipa on it's own with multiple additions through the process.

Centennial is always good

From your list I'd have to go with Centennial, but my favorites are Cascade, Chinook and CTZ, in that order. Centennial does come in 4th. Guess I'm stuck in the C hop days of yore.

From your list I'd have to go with Centennial, but my favorites are Cascade, Chinook and CTZ, in that order. Centennial does come in 4th. Guess I'm stuck in the C hop days of yore.
They're hard to beat.

I would like to try galaxy also. Hear lots of good reviews.
Im fermenting a galaxy citra lager atm the two combined are supposed to be a treat will soon find out:).

I wanna try Centennial think id go that in a SMaSH brew.

I've done a galaxy single hop before, was and probably still is my favorite hop.... But, we can't get galaxy distributed available at the moment. Haven't had it at the shop for many weeks.

I'm right there with @BOB357 and @Nosybear. Love my C's.
I do love some Amarillo, but alone I've had some that are somewhat oniony/garlicy.

I'm right there with @BOB357 and @Nosybear. Love my C's.
I do love some Amarillo, but alone I've had some that are somewhat oniony/garlicy.
There is a taste I don’t much care for with Amarillo that I just can’t nail down. I mixed Citra and finished with a little Mosaic on my last IPA. Pulled the Mosaic and increased the Citra for the next run.

If you really want a NEIPA, none of the hops you mention are really used extensively, as far as I know. the name of the game with a NEIPA is JUICY. Hops with rich fruit, especially sweet citrus and tropical are the order of the day. Citra is probably most common, by far. Mosaic is a no-brainer. Azzaca, Galaxy, and a number of others have similar characteristics.
One of my favorite brews to date is a Session NEIPA/Hazy Pale with a big dose of dry hops in primary including Eldorado, Simcoe and Mosaic. Lush and funky! :)
If you just want a solid single hop for IPA, Centennial is an easy choice. Get hold of some Bell's Two-Hearted Ale for a perfect model.

I went a different route than posted above; bought some South African hops.

Experimental N1/69 hops
Described as: Kool-Aid, Juicy Fruit, mango, citrus, plums, dank, and pungent

If you do another SMaSH, Azacca was really good as well as someone said Equinox/Ekuanaut. Ive Made 2 single hop beers with those. They were almost SMaSH's but i threw in some flaked oats to them mash as well :D

as well as someone said Equinox/Ekuanaut.
A lot of folks really like this hop and I get it but as a single hop, I find it too vegetal. Some describe ripe green pepper and that seems about right to me. Deep, musky, fresh Bell pepper right from the garden is what it brings to mind. It's a wonderful flavor note, but too much of it overpowers. I think I like it in conjunction with some of the more tropical fruit/stone fruit hops that soften and compliment that green spice note.

A lot of folks really like this hop and I get it but as a single hop, I find it too vegetal. Some describe ripe green pepper and that seems about right to me. Deep, musky, fresh Bell pepper right from the garden is what it brings to mind. It's a wonderful flavor note, but too much of it overpowers. I think I like it in conjunction with some of the more tropical fruit/stone fruit hops that soften and compliment that green spice note.
Not everyone thats like the cats piss simcoe thing some people get it some dont. I dont. Yes equinox i found worked great as single hop each to their own though :).

Reactions: J A

Back