SMaSH NEIPA... What is your favorite hop?

what hop is your favorite?

• Amarillo

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Hallertau Blanc

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Centennial

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Huell Melon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mandarina Bavaria

• Nelson

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Jarrylo

• Cashmere

• Vic Secret

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Sorachi

• Total voters
Yeast causes haze more than anything in my experience.
yes, yeast can cause haze when it's still in suspension, but my conversations with pro brewers concerning NEIPAs they brew indicate that they're actually crashing to drop yeast and that's not the big contributor to haze that we would assume...it's not a Hefeweizen. The haze is coming mostly from monster hop additions and malt profile so brewing an IPA and drinking it before the yeast settles does not a NEIPA make. ;)

And biotranformation hop additions. My 2nd runnings beer is persistently hazy from a small 30g galaxy bio hop addition (im pretty sure this is tye haze cause).
Look forward to your hazy SMaSH beer oliver.:)

And biotranformation hop additions. My 2nd runnings beer is persistently hazy from a small 30g galaxy bio hop addition (im pretty sure this is tye haze cause).
Look forward to your hazy SMaSH beer oliver.:)
gotta wait for my hops to get delivered, first.

I'm in a tossup between Maris and 2-row at this point. and I might even consider Belgian Pils. and I'm also not sure what ABV I should target, and I'm mildly inclined to do a session, or something lower, like plus or minus a couple around 5%.

Yep if your going big on the hops id go big on the malt you just gotta prop them hops up. But tasting my burst carbed 3.6% 34/70 ale temp fermented galaxy/citra pale lager its good still needs more hops but- so session strength aint too bad but its up to what what you want. It is a ballancing act but a man who loves his hops as much as you will know more than me where to start;)!

Yep if your going big on the hops id go big on the malt you just gotta prop them hops up. But tasting my burst carbed 3.6% 34/70 ale temp fermented galaxy/citra pale lager its good still needs more hops but- so session strength aint too bad but its up to what what you want. It is a ballancing act but a man who loves his hops as much as you will know more than me where to start;)!

That sounds tasty. I have been doing session lagers all summer. Finishing up a centennial lager right now.

It's summer, I want to brew an IPA. I want it to be a SMaSH beer.

I want to know what your favorite hop is, and WHY. flavor descriptors, aroma descriptors, etc.

Here's my recipe:
Water
Ca: 115, Mg: 5, Na: 10, Cl: 200, SO4: 50

Malts
100% 2-row, (or Maris, or whatever)

Hops
I DON'T KNOW YET, HELP ME OUT

Yeast
WLP095 Burlington Ale

Well I've just done a SMASH with Marris Otter and East Kent Goldings. It's just fermenting so I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
Have a MO/Citra SMaSH in a keg now doing a natural carb now. I'll know how it turns out in a week or so. I really wanted Galaxy but it's impossible for me to source.

Last edited:
So this is weird but in the spring I would have said Amarillo or Cascade and now I am fully in the Tettnang camp.

^^^^ They're classics for a reason.

Probably had enough Cascade and Amarillo to get you through 'til next Summer :)

Back