Everything Bagel Seasoning

Adding Everything Bagel Seasoning to boil or secondary?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TrailTrash

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am going to be brewing an Everything Bagel ESB. Saw a thing on it, and wanted to try it. I am curious whether I should add the seeds in the last 5 minutes of the boil or add them to secondary.

Just curious...Did you actually try a beer with sesame, poppy, onion, garlic, salt and enjoy it? Enough to brew an entire batch? ;)

I'd agree with JA: Best place for everything bagel seasonings and seeds is on a bagel. But if I were going to do it (and I can't imagine why), I'd do five minutes prior to flameout, hoping it would boil off some of the dried onion flavor....

All snark aside, it's your beer. If you want the flavors, the dried stuff has to rehydrate and the spices need some time to work so five minutes prior to the end of the boil sounds right to me.

There was an episode of Beerland on Viceland where someone made it, and they said it was pretty good. Figured Id give it a go and see what happens. Even thought of leaving the salt, garlic, and onion out and just using the poppy & sesame

You may be on to something with limiting the spicing to poppy and sesame. I was imagining an onion gose - not my idea of a great beer!

The jarred seasoning gets baked on a bagel. You may want to toast that first, then coarse grind and add at 5m. I wouldn't expect secondary to pick up the seed flavors, and seeds will have yeast and bacteria on them.

A true ESB is bready to start with so this idea may not be too bad

The jarred seasoning gets baked on a bagel. You may want to toast that first, then coarse grind and add at 5m. I wouldn't expect secondary to pick up the seed flavors, and seeds will have yeast and bacteria on them.

A true ESB is bready to start with so this idea may not be too bad

Great idea to toast them first, thanks!

If the stuff to toast is large enough, I think a hot air popcorn popper might be a good way to get a toasted flavor.

For small seeds, preheat an ungreased frying pan to about 400° and toss for 1-2 minutes or until you start to smell them. It doesn't take long.

O/T: if you have extra toasted sesame, grind it up and add olive oil to make tahini

For small seeds, preheat an ungreased frying pan to about 400° and toss for 1-2 minutes or until you start to smell them. It doesn't take long.

O/T: if you have extra toasted sesame, grind it up and add olive oil to make tahini
Extra O/T +1 on this, tahini is great to use in oriental dishes but also as seasoning in others. I usually add some lemon juice to it too.

There was an episode of Beerland on Viceland where someone made it, and they said it was pretty good. Figured Id give it a go and see what happens.
Variety is the spice of life, I guess. Best of luck with it. :)

Likewise! Not something I'd try but hey, it's your beer!

I will be interested to see how you work the big fat slab of cream cheese in there, me thinks in secondary...

Sorry, couldn't help it...

Good luck with it!

I will be interested to see how you work the big fat slab of cream cheese in there, me thinks in secondary...

Sorry, couldn't help it...

Good luck with it!
Allow a bit of diacetyl and tartness in there and voile! Cream cheese!

Reactions: J A
We are being a little harsh on our OP...it's a valid question, but I can't resist being a little perverse about novelty beers. :D
Surely someone has some actual advice that's pertinent and helpful. :)
And, @TrailTrash , I see that you are new so we should take an opportunity to welcome you. You'll find lots of very useful information here...and a little good-natured ribbing from time to time. ;)

I hope you take the light ribbing in the spirit it's offered, TrailTrash. JA excepted, we're really a pretty friendly bunch.... We've seen lots of novelty ideas come and go. Best advice I can give is go for it and prove us wrong. I think most of my ideas have been covered by myself and others so good luck with it.

I hope that my post was taken as light ribbing, I apologize if I was "offside".
Sincerely,
Craigerr

Have you considered making tea with the spices and then tasting it?
This will give you a good idea of the flavor contribution and also the amount you may want to add.
I think the biggest problem is the amount of salt added. As Nosy said, unless it's Gose style, that's not good in beer.
The Garlic and Onion are flavors that can be found in some Hops, so other than being stronger in flavor, I'd be fine with them.
The other spices, as suggested, may be better toasted. I'd crush and press them between paper towels to get as much of the oil out of them as possible.
Have fun with it and keep us posted.
Cheers,
Brian

A little light ribbing is always fine by me. Believe me I make a lot of traditional beers as well. Just wanted to try this one for the novelty of it. Thought it sounded interesting and wanted to see how I could make it work. My thoughts are this, I’m going to just use poppy and sesame seeds, toasted and crushed and add at 5mins. I don’t want an overbearing flavor to hit you in the face with dried garlic and onion. I just want the seeds to come through. Chose an ESB for its yeasty/bread characteristics and added some biscuit malt as well. I’m actually doing a Kölsch this weekend. I’m doing the ESB next month with a buddy.

Back