Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

ok im having another stab at cooking on the AusPIG! this time ive turned down the burner (char) and am cooking on coals.
im cooking a small half leg of lamb oiled salted and rubbed with dried tyme. see no flames
20180512_162833.jpg

then ive put this cast iron pot on too to trap in the heat like am oven smarts eh;).

and now i can sit hear listening to the crackle of the roast adjusting the heat by the pigs door.
20180512_163750.jpg

Attachments

• 20180512_162912.jpg
    20180512_162912.jpg
    862.6 KB · Views: 98
ok im having another stab at cooking on the AusPIG! this time ive turned down the burner (char) and am cooking on coals.
im cooking a small half leg of lamb oiled salted and rubbed with dried tyme. see no flames
View attachment 3041
then ive put this cast iron pot on too to trap in the heat like am oven smarts eh;).

and now i can sit hear listening to the crackle of the roast adjusting the heat by the pigs door.
View attachment 3042

Nice looking chunk of lamb. I only get lamb once a year on Easter. The wife pierces a bunch of holes in it and stuffs garlic cloves and rosemary sprigs in them. The last couple of years I've then cooked it low and slow to medium rare on the pellet grill. Great stuff.

yep lambs a pretty cheep cut over here more exy these days but remember "we rode the sheeps back" for some time when wool was worth a pretty penny the world over. i remember visiting Tassie and some locals turned their nose down to a lamb roast or any cut for that matter an inferior meat. thats what happens when you have oversupply i spose?

but yes my fave meat (for roasting) its hard to stuff it up. pork aint far behind but nit everyone digs it so lambs a safer option. rump (beef) can get tooo dry if not done right or if not prime cut or old beast even if grain fead grass fead.

the roast truned out scrupulous for first attempt about 2 hours i lasted till i had to have a chew. i got a bit hasty toward end and threw in a bit more timber as the coals were dying. lesson learned from slight char. it comes with a diffuser to use if on flame i threw this on but it didnt help.
i see there is a rotisary kit for em ive got a motor left over from old BBQ might rig it up in the pig.
will be roasting more.

I personally like a chard outside not burnt but sweet chard as long as the inside is tender

I personally like a chard outside not burnt but sweet chard as long as the inside is tender
so a sugary glaze would work thats something to try is pasting on some glaze every time i turn. tell ya what its sunday today i might have another crack at a roast. ill pitch it to the missus she was wanting chicken last night so i might do a chicken with a fresh lime stuffed in the clacker for tenderness (apparently keeps tge meat juicy) kafir lime leaves are good too in the clacker.

that leads me to this question anyone ever tried the coke can chicken??

its where you open the can and slide the poor chicken over the can ive not tried this one yet but.

so a sugary glaze would work thats something to try is pasting on some glaze every time i turn. tell ya what its sunday today i might have another crack at a roast. ill pitch it to the missus she was wanting chicken last night so i might do a chicken with a fresh lime stuffed in the clacker for tenderness (apparently keeps tge meat juicy) kafir lime leaves are good too in the clacker.

its where you open the can and slide the poor chicken over the can ive not tried this one yet but.
I've used a cheap can of beer in chicken, turned out great. Brined it overnight first too. Thing was so juicy we couldn't stop picking bits off when we went to clean up.

Also...whats a clacker?

We used to do that with a half full beer can on the grill. Even when I got my first smoker we did it, but stopped with the can. The smoker has its own water pan.

I find that the chicken doesn't get much flavor from the can of whatever. The moisture from the inside is what makes it nice and juicy. I've used Coke, good beer and cheap beer with no discernable difference.

Agreed. The can makes a good, cheap stand and maybe a bit of moisture, but not much more. I usually spatchcock my birds any more for a more even cook. No low and slow for my chicken either. I find lower temps make it kinda rubbery. I get the temps up and get a nice crispy outside.

ok good to hear cook time is less with chicken too. ive got heaps of limes so ill cut one in half and let that do the juicing.

I've used a cheap can of beer in chicken, turned out great. Brined it overnight first too. Thing was so juicy we couldn't stop picking bits off when we went to clean up.

Also...whats a clacker?
the clacker is ..... its sphincter:p!

right so got the fire on getting coals ready. chook is oiled salted and cajun rubbed and a lime quarted and stuffed in the clacker with legs scured together. let the roast begin!
20180513_162436.jpg

Back