Glitter Beer

When should Beer_Pirate toss in the sparkly stuff?

• Whirlpool

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • During Primary

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kegging

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Beer should never sparkle

Votes: 15 62.5%

• Total voters

Beer_Pirate

Premium Member
Reaction score
SWAMBO saw a post on facebook where some breweries are adding food safe luster dust to make their beers glittery. Her birthday is coming up and she wants a glittery pale ale. Does anyone have any ideas on when to add the dust? My guesses would either be whirlpool, during primary, or at kegging.

Knowing nothing about it, I’d do it at packaging.

That's what I'm leaning towards most, since I feel like it would drop during a cold crash, leaving me with useless yeast slurry and un-glittery beer.

Definitely at packaging - had it not been a SWAMBO request I would have said no way. And be sure to rouse it (unless it somehow magically stays suspended) otherwise your first glass will be a glass of glitter, subsequent ones will have lost their sparkle.

And be sure to rouse it (unless it somehow magically stays suspended) otherwise your first glass will be a glass of glitter, subsequent ones will have lost their sparkle.
I'm actually worried this may be an issue. How often would you think I need to rouse it? Hourly? Daily? Every Pint?
I guess I could bottle it from the keg, but I'm planning on a NE-style pale ale and don't want it to turn that sewer brown color I can't seem to avoid when bottling anything NE-ish.

I do all the pours in my house. Any chance you do the same? If so, sneak it in anytime you pour her one :D

I wouldn’t want that “magic dust” in my keg or beer lines. Why not make a couple snow globes with it by adding the glitter to clear growlers full of well carbonated beer. ;)

I wouldn’t want that “magic dust” in my keg or beer lines. Why not make a couple snow globes with it by adding the glitter to clear growlers full of well carbonated beer. ;)
You’d do it if your wife asked you!

And... we’re back to post #1!

Maybe she would like the glitter growlers. But if you must, I would add to the keg. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

i ger my caebonarion to swirl in the glass off my picnic tap pours aimed across the glass and down. it swirls for a bit. maybe this is how they get it swirling in the glass like in that pic...

i swear that glitter is already settling to the bottom in the short video.
i recon throw it in either keg or in glass after.pour.

i ger my caebonarion to swirl in the glass off my picnic tap pours aimed across the glass and down. it swirls for a bit. maybe this is how they get it swirling in the glass like in that pic...

i swear that glitter is already settling to the bottom in the short video.
i recon throw it in either keg or in glass after.pour.
It does look like it's settling in the last two videos o_O I might have to add it to each pour, and even then it may be an exercise in futility.

I've just contacted Bold Missy about this (first beer in the article jeffpn linked), so we'll see if they can offer any insight!

I've just contacted Bold Missy about this (first beer in the article jeffpn linked), so we'll see if they can offer any insight!

Just set a couple of kids down at the table and give them some glitter and glue to make a birthday card. You will have glitter in your beer(and everywhere else) for months. Guaranteed!

Back