Partial Mash West Coast Aussie IPA

Brewer #133983

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been out of the game a while, but have recently gotten back into it by showing a mate a few extract brews. After getting the basics down, he'd like to go partial with a well balanced IPA, so came up with the recipe below.

Would be great to get some feedback and reasoning behind any suggested changes.

Any amount of help is appreciated.

Cheers
Rob

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 21 liters (5.5gal) (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 11 liters (2.9gal) (13.5L - 3.6gal kettle)
Boil Gravity: 1.117
Efficiency: 65% (haven't measured - assuming lower end of spectrum)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 6.11%
IBU (tinseth): 64.02

FERMENTABLES:
2 kg (4.4lb) - Dry Malt Extract - Light (40%)
2 kg (4.4lb) - American - Pale 2-Row (40%)
0.5 kg (1.1lb) - Caramel / Crystal 20L (10%)
0.5 kg (1.1lb)- Munich (10%)

HOPS (all pellets):
60 minutes
25 g (0.9oz) - Columbus, AA: 15
25 g (0.9oz) - Simcoe, AA: 12.7

15 minutes
20 g (0.7 oz) - Columbus, AA: 15
20 g (0.7oz) - Simcoe, AA: 12.7

1 minute/flameout
15 g (0.5oz) - Columbus, AA: 15
15 g (0.5oz)- Simcoe, AA: 12.7

Dry hop (~14 days)
15 g (0.5oz)- Columbus, AA: 15
15 g (0.5oz)- Simcoe, AA: 12.7

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 67 C (153 deg F), Time: 30-45 min, Amount: 9 L (2.4gal) (+/- 3L/kg grain (~1.4 qt/lb). Mash in a bag)
2) Sparge, Temp: 75 C (167 deg F) , Amount: 2 L (0.5gal) to take up to boil volume +/- 11L (2.9gal)

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale 1056
Fermentation Temp: ~19 C (64-65 degF)

my only input would be drop the DME and go another 2kg.of grain your going to mash anyway so just throw some more grain in:) oh and if preboil doesnt meet required gravity from lower mash efficiency then use your DME to crrect it here. looks like a nice malty/hoppy IPA beer other than that.

my only input would be drop the DME and go another 2kg.of grain your going to mash anyway so just throw some more grain in:) oh and if preboil doesnt meet required gravity from lower mash efficiency then use your DME to crrect it here. looks like a nice malty/hoppy IPA beer other than that.

That's a good idea, so pretty much go all grain, and add in DME where required to meet OG.

Cheers for the suggestion

Love Columbus and Simcoe!! I would maybe first wort with Columbus and save the Simcoe for a 20 minute addition. I find that it adds a depth of flavor when it's used in the middle of the boil. That's going to be a nice danky IPA. Very similar to my preferred house IPA.

With a lower ~2 L/kg due to more grain? Still in a bag. Or are you asking something completely different...
no was just wonderkng which merhod you take when mashing. if mashing in a bag grind up them.grains finer it will give you better extraction and if you can sparge thw grain bag some to fet that few more points of gravity. good luck

use the quick water requirements in recipie to determine water needed too;)

Back