Recipe help.

Does it seem like a nice brew?

• Whatever you do, do not brew this!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Not familiar with those hops at all, but the rest of it looks fine to me. Brew on!

Simple, clean, uncluttered... I like it! the hops sound very interesting. Two things that stand out...Warrior is a pretty neutral hop, but getting most of your IBUs from it might get in the way of some of your interesting flavors and aroma. I might tweak to put a dose of the Southern Passion at 30 so the Saaz parentage can spice up the hop flavor profile and support your more subtle fruit aromas. Also, since noble hops are the pedigree, I find dry hopping can lend a grassy flavor...I'd be careful of leaving them too long.
But as is, it looks quite fine.
PS...there's a "Recipes for Feedback" section that's perfect for this sort of thing. ;)

Use more hops. 90 grams or more at flame out is not outrageous. 60-90 grams on dry hop for 3 days.
Other than that, brew it. Most home brewers short themselves by not using enough hops and the true nature of the hops is too subtle and you may not get very good flavor or aroma.

Looks a whole lot like the Sierra Nevada recipe - different hops though. Looks to be nicely balanced, should be good!

Use more hops. 90 grams or more at flame out is not outrageous. 60-90 grams on dry hop for 3 days.
Other than that, brew it. Most home brewers short themselves by not using enough hops and the true nature of the hops is too subtle and you may not get very good flavor or aroma.
Respectfully, that seems like an outrageous amount of hops to me

And I don't think I've ever heard of homebrewers not using enough hops. From my view, it's the exact opposite.

Respectfully, that seems like an outrageous amount of hops to me
And I don't think I've ever heard of homebrewers not using enough hops. From my view, it's the exact opposite.

I've been working on getting a pale ale recipe right for a couple of years. Every time I would enter a pale ale in a comp it would tank and I would go back to the drawing board. I read the book "For the Love of Hops" and I started doing whirl pool additions. The beers were fantastic, the hop rates were exceptionally high. 8-12 ounce total in the recipe. Afterward I tried one in a big comp (900-1000 beers) and won gold. The only complaint I got was that there wasn't enough aroma, which I thought was a little nutty. Since then when I enter this beer it almost always goes gold or silver and I competed with it at GABF in the pro-am.

Here's my typical recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/253526/wayner-s-pale-ale

Most people would say it's over the top, but it's balanced, believe it or not. Hop bitterness and gravity should be restrained in a pale ale, but hop flavor and aroma should be prominent, but not as much as an IPA.

You should try this with a whirlpool, it's awesome.

Reactions: J A

Back