BenBe

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I brewed an Oatmeal Stout ealier this month. I am planning to bottle it in 5 days.
I choose this kind of stout because of the oatmeal flavor.

What if I add half a pound of oatmeal with my carbonate solution (which would be 500ml of boiled water, 3 oz of maple syrup)?

Like as in have a half pound of oatmeal floating in your bottled product?

Curious on how the "French Canadian" became a tag for this post.

I'm guessing they're probably from Quebec.

Silly Yankee.

Like as in have a half pound of oatmeal floating in your bottled product?
Sorry for my english! I meant, oatmeal in the bottling bucket, with the priming sugar, before bottling. To enhance the oatmeal flavor. Strain the oatmeal before the bottle.

Post boil... I follow the rule that whatever goes into the wort/beer, needs to be sanitized. Not sure how you could do that with the oats. Not even sure what, if anything that may do to help any characteristics of a beer other than make it cloudy at best. At worst... who knows.

My recommendation would be to just bottle without the oat addition. Stouts flavor mature over time and you may just like how it ends up. If you dose it with oats at the stage you are thinking, you may not get the desired effect. If you take good notes and just bottle without the oats, you'll find what you do and don't like about the finished product and can make changes to the next batch. Including bumping up your oat addition during the mash.

Last edited:
Post boil... I follow the rule that whatever goes into the wort/beer, needs to be sanitized. Not sure how you could do that with the oats. Not even sure what, if anything that may do to help any characteristics of a beer other then make it cloudy at best. At worst... who knows.

My recommendation would be to just bottle without the oat addition. Stouts flavor mature over time and you may just like how it ends up. If you dose it with oats at the stage you are thinking, you may not get the desired effect. If you take good notes and just bottle without the oats, you'll find what you do and don't like about the finished product and can make changes to the next batch. Including bumping up your oat addition during the mash.
thanks Mase

For a number of reasons, it's not a good idea. Raw starch in the beer isn't going enhance the flavor. Next time just alter the recipe and maximize the oats or even add oats at the end of boil so that the starches are gelatinzed but not converted to sugar. If you want to do something to this batch to increase the perceived sweetness and thicker mouthfeel, you could add some lactose at bottling.

Still wondering how to help the OP.... Maybe make a "tea" out of the oatmeal? But at this point I think it's a bit too late to get oats into the beer.

Still wondering how to help the OP.... Maybe make a "tea" out of the oatmeal? But at this point I think it's a bit too late to get oats into the beer.

I think you need to turn that on its head... Make porridge with milk stout... or is that Scottish thing...o_O

Plenty of oat flavour...;)

The only way I can think of at this stage is to make up a small batch of oat wort. Boil for 10 minutes and add to fermenter and leave for another 4/5 days.

The only way I can think of at this stage is to make up a small batch of oat wort. Boil for 10 minutes and add to fermenter and leave for another 4/5 days.
That would work if the oats were malted. He'd have to combine the flaked oats with about an equal weight of high-diastatic malt (two row, six row or pilsner), mash, lauter then boil. Likely a bit much for someone posting in the beginner's forum! My advice to the OP, go with what you have for now and get the oats in there next time, either by steeping them or by doing a mini-mash (as mentioned above). Good luck with it!

For a number of reasons, it's not a good idea. Raw starch in the beer isn't going enhance the flavor. Next time just alter the recipe and maximize the oats or even add oats at the end of boil so that the starches are gelatinzed but not converted to sugar. If you want to do something to this batch to increase the perceived sweetness and thicker mouthfeel, you could add some lactose at bottling.
I think I will brew a new version today, with 1 pound of lactose.
I am bottling also, how much lactose should I add?
What if I add maple syrup, 4oz and lactose?

Reactions: J A
I'm not sure how much lactose you'd want for bottling, but if you add maple syrup, it's fully fermentable so you have to replace some of your priming sugar with it. Those more familiar with lactose can help with that. I think there can be some solubility issues with adding at bottling. so do a little research. And don't forget...lactose in beer can really set off someone who's lactose intolerant at all. :eek:

I bottled my stout today, named Hue Body Hue. Next version I will add 50 gr of banana puree, 1 pound of lactose at the 15 minutes boil, priming with 4 oz of maple syrup, same recipe of black malt, chocolate malt, roasted barley, maris otter and crystal 60L.

You have to boil the lactose for it to disolve clear. Its for sweetness an unfermentable sugar. Ive added condensed milk to brown coffee ale with good results. How much is up to you.

Back