Secondary question

OAE Iceman

Premium Member
Reaction score
I rarely use a secondary fermenter but in this case after 12 days in the primary I will transfer to a secondary for 30 days. Im sure most yeast activity will have ceased by then. I used 05 for my yeast in the primary. After I transfer to the secondary should I add a little more yeast to create some more fermentation for co2 to help get any O2 out of the secondary? Thanks!

More yeast won't do anything...more sugar will. If you can't purge with CO2, maybe a pinch of something to slightly re-krausen wouldn't hurt. You'll stir up any CO2 that's in suspension, so a lot of it depends on the temp of the wort. If it's relatively cool, there'll be a fair amount of CO2 in suspension and you shouldn't have to worry about anything. Even if it's fairly warm, there'll be some.
Just curious why you're doing a 30 day secondary on an ale?

When I was using a secondary I'd transfer with 5 points to go before fg , that ensured CO2 production and yeast would take care of any oxygen from transfer .
I don't bother with secondary anymore but also curious why you'd leave it 30 days ? Much of my brew is consumed by then

I pretty well always rack into another FV after around 10 days then leave for another 5 or so to make sure it's finished.Never had a problem with my beers but understand many would never ever rack one.
30 days is an awful long time:oops:

More yeast won't do anything...more sugar will. If you can't purge with CO2, maybe a pinch of something to slightly re-krausen wouldn't hurt. You'll stir up any CO2 that's in suspension, so a lot of it depends on the temp of the wort. If it's relatively cool, there'll be a fair amount of CO2 in suspension and you shouldn't have to worry about anything. Even if it's fairly warm, there'll be some.
Just curious why you're doing a 30 day secondary on an ale?

I'm making a imperial stout. I am making a recipe I got out of the latest Brew magazine called 4 tarsinas stout and it called for a 30 secondary.

Reactions: J A

Back