Home made pizza

2 pound pizza day, its a clean all leftovers out of the fridge pizza and man is this
filling, 16" pan pizza

WP_20170429_001.jpg

Dough is rising now. I'll cook up garlic sausage shortly, not sure what else yet. I'm making a cheese butter crust today.

Nice New York style pizza, this has Broccoli on it, kind of takes over but still great, Hamburger, Pepperoni, Broccoli, yellow onions, Crushed Garlic and 2 types of cheese

WP_20170506_001.jpg

WP_20170506_003.jpg

Nice New York style pizza, this has Broccoli on it, kind of takes over but still great, Hamburger, Pepperoni, Broccoli, yellow onions, Crushed Garlic and 2 types of cheese

View attachment 1493

View attachment 1494
Was angling for some Pizza on the menu for my place this coming Friday but was shocked to hear the missus describing my pizza as " the base is too dry and the pizza too salty". I'm going to have,to up the Ante next time no exceptions only the best ingredients and definitely no hops making it in lol:D.

pizza is a tricky thing, even using the same ingredients and recipes it can turn out different every time in some way, the way you prepare the dough and the way you cook it and the pan its in is the key and just like brewing everyone has a different set up so don't listen to the hard core pizza makers, test and figure out your set up your self. I had the same hard crust before realizing that my self ;)

pizza is a tricky thing, even using the same ingredients and recipes it can turn out different every time in some way, the way you prepare the dough and the way you cook it and the pan its in is the key and just like brewing everyone has a different set up so don't listen to the hard core pizza makers, test and figure out your set up your self. I had the same hard crust before realizing that my self ;)
So are.you a thick or thin type pizza crust guy? I stick chia seeds in with my base mixture for health and that crunch but i recon you cant go past a.good old fashioned sour dough base mmmm so nice pity i didnt keep up me sour dough starter. Was like loosing a close friend:D.

I like a garlic bread type thick crust with lots of spicy sauce my self but the family likes ultra thin so when I'm by my self is the only time I get what "I" want

my recipe is a mixed flour but use what every you have, for a 16" I use 3 1/2 cups of flour 1 tablespoon of yeast 1 tablespoon of sugar 1 tablespoon of garlic salt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 3/4 cups of water.

first I make a quick yeast starter by adding the sugar and hot water in a measuring cup, then add the yeast, stir and let set for a few minutes. I use a Cuisinart mixer to mix the dough I always have to add something either flour or water to get the right stickiness. then you add to a large bowl I just use the same bowl I mixed it in, I spray vegetable oil inside the bowl

Ive found the key to my oven and crust recipe, its to make a very wet dough and let it rise on the pan so you pour the dough out of the fermenting bowl, "you herd it pour" then roll it around a bunch of flour just to stop the stickiness, form it into the pan the best way you can, it will stretch in 10 minute increments otherwise you fight it too much and make it tough, the more you handle it the tougher it gets. once formed put a towel over it and let it set for 30 minutes, it will rise some so just shape a little here and there and add the sauce, add a thin 1/8" layer completely covered then your set to add your goodness

Last edited:
Reading this thread has made me hungry! - but I've got nowt in the house to make a pizza so its Lancashire Hot Pot for me tonight
Great looking pizzas guys!

I love pizza. I make thick, thin, loaf, 'zones, I love 'em all. I've had so many people ask me if I like thin or thick crust it is mind boggling to a pizza lover. Yes, I do prefer thin or thick crust, hard to eat otherwise now ain't it?

I agree, it is how it is cooked as much as actual components. I grease my nonstick pan with home rendered lard or bacon grease. With the thin pan the bottom of the crust actually fries crispy regardless of thickness. It takes time to learn your oven.

I bake on a pizza stone preheated in the Webber Q to as hot as she will go then slide in pizza using paddle then around 10 mins later she's done. I find the stone doesn't give you the crispy base that you get from an oiled pan though.

I should get a deep pan like that before next fall. My cooking time gets short as the growing season proceeds.

My brother said the same thing about his stone, not giving a crisp crust. I think he said he leaves it on the stone awhile after removing it to help it some. I've heard the same elsewhere too so I never got a stone. Maybe the actual stone makes the difference.

I'd say it's crusty not crispy if that makes any sense o_O. The one thing I do love about a pizza stone is its at 220+ degrees so a soon as your pizza hits it she's off and cooking I find you get a great rise out of the base like this.

Yes, that makes sense to me.

I've got a multigrain crust ready to go now. I'll get to it as soon as I've given enough belly rub to Kuma, my Akita.

Garlic sausage, pesto, fried onion, shroom, bell and hot peppers,mozz and extra sharp cheddar so far.

I'm going to build about the same pizza as my last one except it will have sauteed asparagus on it, just picked.

Pizza Day, and man this is good, I didn't know how Hungary I was, I had left over shank ham, on the link pepperoni sliced thin , I slightly cooked the ham with half an onion then chopped raw with it, both yellow, also black olives, mozzarella on the bottom and cheddar on top, oh forgot minced garlic on top

WP_20170522_002.jpg
WP_20170522_003.jpg
WP_20170522_004.jpg

Last edited:
I baked a pizza yesterday. I didn't make it, though? It came from Papa Murphy's. (That's a pizza joint with no ovens. You take it home and bake it.)

Back