Stone and Wood pale ale

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Gday Goodevening Good night what ever time zone your in.
Now my fellow Americans this here beer recipe may not really ring a bell with you far far across the broad Pacific Ditch!:D

But I'm hoping for some enlightenment on this next recipe I'm looking at brewing next.
A stone and wood pacific ale batch. This s small time brewery from Byron Bay East coast Australia New South Whales beers have taken the east coast of Australia by storm! It seems a lot of non craft beer enthusiasts have taken a rather fond liking of this wheat beer (please correct me if I'm wrong:rolleyes:).

So of course my question is to my fellow Aussie brewing comrades who might have attempted in the not so distant future to brew this beer? I grabbed this beer recipe off my local home brew store website www.nationalhomebrew.com.au and am hoping to get some thumbs up or down feed back please:). I hear it's a low bittered Galaxy wheat beer using all Australian malt and hops except for the Briess Carapils for I'm guessing mouth feel more than head retention or both with this brew as it's got 1kg of wheat in it.

Alrighty below is the link let me know how you feel about it . Cheers!

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/469770/s-w-summer-ale

15136003_10154793122288223_525258238177215419_n.jpg 15135767_10154795581193223_2569003881943962221_n.jpg 15056515_10154795581403223_2403352546170286627_n.jpg 15095633_10154795583238223_3725632103503440463_n.jpg
Gday Goodevening Good night what ever time zone your in.
Now my fellow Americans this here beer recipe may not really ring a bell with you far far across the broad Pacific Ditch!:D

But I'm hoping for some enlightenment on this next recipe I'm looking at brewing next.
A stone and wood pacific ale batch. This s small time brewery from Byron Bay East coast Australia New South Whales beers have taken the east coast of Australia by storm! It seems a lot of non craft beer enthusiasts have taken a rather fond liking of this wheat beer (please correct me if I'm wrong:rolleyes:).

So of course my question is to my fellow Aussie brewing comrades who might have attempted in the not so distant future to brew this beer? I grabbed this beer recipe off my local home brew store website www.nationalhomebrew.com.au and am hoping to get some thumbs up or down feed back please:). I hear it's a low bittered Galaxy wheat beer using all Australian malt and hops except for the Briess Carapils for I'm guessing mouth feel more than head retention or both with this brew as it's got 1kg of wheat in it.

Alrighty below is the link let me know how you feel about it . Cheers!

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/469770/s-w-summer-ale

Hey Ben

This beer is so unbelievably popular here it's crazy, the guys from Stone and Wood have done a fantastic job and getting the beer out and selling it.
So I have never brewed this clone but I am part of a homebrew group in Australia and well this guy did.
He thinks he is very close to the original and everyone else in the group thinks the recipe looks great, the IBUs look high to me but I don't know.

28litre boil for 75mins
whirlfloc @ 10mins
Nottingham yeast ferment @ 20c
15136003_10154793122288223_525258238177215419_n.jpg 15135767_10154795581193223_2569003881943962221_n.jpg 15056515_10154795581403223_2403352546170286627_n.jpg 15095633_10154795583238223_3725632103503440463_n.jpg

Hope this helps a little.

Stephen

PS just found another post about it in the same group
2.80 kg 2 Row 60%
1.80 kg Wheat Malt 40%
10.00 gm Galaxy 15 min
25.00 gm Galaxy 5 min
35.00 gm Galaxy flameout
40.00 gm Galaxy dry hop 3-5days
Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Final Gravity: 1.012 SG 4.43 %

60 min Step 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out 76.0 C
Batch sparge 78C
Us05

Last edited:
Ben ,looks good but be careful using Coopers ale yeast .

You want a good healthy starter of 1.5 litres + and crash / decant it
You want to run it cool or it will throw esters being English in origin .

I've not brewed this yet but can see why its a popular beer , very approachable
Good luck with it !

View attachment 1347 View attachment 1348 View attachment 1349 View attachment 1350

Hey Ben

This beer is so unbelievably popular here it's crazy, the guys from Stone and Wood have done a fantastic job and getting the beer out and selling it.
So I have never brewed this clone but I am part of a homebrew group in Australia and well this guy did.
He thinks he is very close to the original and everyone else in the group thinks the recipe looks great, the IBUs look high to me but I don't know.

28litre boil for 75mins
whirlfloc @ 10mins
Nottingham yeast ferment @ 20c
View attachment 1347 View attachment 1348 View attachment 1349 View attachment 1350

Hope this helps a little.

Stephen

PS just found another post about it in the same group
2.80 kg 2 Row 60%
1.80 kg Wheat Malt 40%
10.00 gm Galaxy 15 min
25.00 gm Galaxy 5 min
35.00 gm Galaxy flameout
40.00 gm Galaxy dry hop 3-5days
Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Final Gravity: 1.012 SG 4.43 %

60 min Step 66.0 C
10 min Mash Out 76.0 C
Batch sparge 78C
Us05
Cheers swish looks like I'm not too far off then cheers for sharing looking forward to brewing this brew up. Yea it's a pretty darn popular brew and the price tag at the bar makes me cringe when I know I can make it for a fraction of the coast :). Will keep you posted how this one fairs. Have you tired recultured coopers yeast in this brew? That's the recommendation from local homebrew store less floculating than Chico strain.

Ben ,looks good but be careful using Coopers ale yeast .

You want a good healthy starter of 1.5 litres + and crash / decant it
You want to run it cool or it will throw esters being English in origin .

I've not brewed this yet but can see why its a popular beer , very approachable
Good luck with it !
So will probably be approaching brew day in forthright but in the meantime will follow your reculturing method for coppers pale yeast.

So step one find 3 fresh bottles of coopers pale ale drink contrnce from glass of course pouring carefully to leave trub at bottom like homebrew till last 50 ot so mls left swirl and eventually decant this to ready to go first starter flask.

@Mark D Pirate So first culture is how many mills? 500 and im guessing a mix of 60/40 dme/cane sugar? Or is that for next step?

Once fermentation has begun and finished in first starter step to 1.5 lt 1.040 starter let run its course chill decant then pitch in the big game?

My last saison has whispers of this pale ale brew with the light grain bill with plenty of wheat malt and good quantities of Galaxy at flame out.

My new boss is keen on this beer its his beer of choice so i told him id brew some up see what he thinks:p.

If i can get close which i think i can, i think ill beat it for freshness its a wheat beer after all lol.

So i should go Notingham if not coopers?

Im keen to get to know this coopers yeast...

So will probably be approaching brew day in forthright but in the meantime will follow your reculturing method for coppers pale yeast.

So step one find 3 fresh bottles of coopers pale ale drink contrnce from glass of course pouring carefully to leave trub at bottom like homebrew till last 50 ot so mls left swirl and eventually decant this to ready to go first starter flask.

@Mark D Pirate So first culture is how many mills? 500 and im guessing a mix of 60/40 dme/cane sugar? Or is that for next step?

Once fermentation has begun and finished in first starter step to 1.5 lt 1.040 starter let run its course chill decant then pitch in the big game?

Im keen to get to know this coopers yeast...

I wake it up first with straight table sugar in each longneck , a teaspoon or so as it acts as a viability test if nothing else
Otherwise yup that's first step up then chill / decant and give it 1500 ml and ferment it out .

Monster of a yeast mate , don't cold crash it too long as its very flocculant if left sit cold but will hang around a few days
Notty is great but won't give you the cloudy pour you get with the real thing

I wake it up first with straight table sugar in each longneck , a teaspoon or so as it acts as a viability test if nothing else
Otherwise yup that's first step up then chill / decant and give it 1500 ml and ferment it out .

Monster of a yeast mate , don't cold crash it too long as its very flocculant if left sit cold but will hang around a few days
Notty is great but won't give you the cloudy pour you get with the real thing
WELL looks like were brewing some coopers yeast with this stone and Wood galaxy Pacific pale ale then:D. Yep true to style we want that brew to stay plenty cloudy with the wheat malt it will confirm it. Cheers mark ill add some sugar to each three coopers long necks for viability then start the yeast proporgation step procedure.

Cheers swish looks like I'm not too far off then cheers for sharing looking forward to brewing this brew up. Yea it's a pretty darn popular brew and the price tag at the bar makes me cringe when I know I can make it for a fraction of the coast :). Will keep you posted how this one fairs. Have you tired recultured coopers yeast in this brew? That's the recommendation from local homebrew store less floculating than Chico strain.

No, never tried anything like that, I have never even harvested yeast from a batch, I was planning on doing it for the IPA I have going but the ****** keeps coming down so I don't think that is the kind of yeast I want to be keeping.

Would reculturing involve taking the yeast from the bottom of the bottles and building them up? or am I thinking of something else?

No, never tried anything like that, I have never even harvested yeast from a batch, I was planning on doing it for the IPA I have going but the ****** keeps coming down so I don't think that is the kind of yeast I want to be keeping.

Would reculturing involve taking the yeast from the bottom of the bottles and building them up? or am I thinking of something else?
Exactly making a mini batch of wort out of DME and letting them loose in there then after a day or two step the small starter up to larger one.

Cheers mate love brewing a new beer being an ale and a wheat beer it should have a fast turn around so will keep you updated;).

You may want to ensure you have plenty of headspace with wheat and recultured Coopers yeast , that strain takes no prisoners and has made a mess in my fridge before

You may want to ensure you have plenty of headspace with wheat and recultured Coopers yeast , that strain takes no prisoners and has made a mess in my fridge before
Cheers Mark will keep that in mind mate must throw a big krausen then?

It does , monster of a yeast that'll munch down to FG in a matter of days if you let it run warm and produce esters
Keep it under 17 and it'll be a cleaner tasting beer

It does , monster of a yeast that'll munch down to FG in a matter of days if you let it run warm and produce esters
Keep it under 17 and it'll be a cleaner tasting beer
Cheers Mark yep I've got zilch experience with this coopers yeast! Lucky for me I'm in your department and ferment in a bucket so high krausening yeast shouldn't be a problem. So you ferment under 17c for instance 16c? Sounds like a fun yeast to experiment at different temperatures with :)

Today I'll slip down the bottle o and pick up some coopers tallies and begin my coopers yeast reculturing and have a few beers at the same time mmm yeah I like this hobbie :D.

So one more question for vitality you add tablespoon of sugar straight to talkie and just mix it through place foil on top and wait for signs of life? Do you preboil then cool the sugar solution I'm thinking maybe I should don't wanna be getting a lacto culture going lol. but I guess your nose is your friend in this game trying to detect any off aromas. I'm guessing this yeast smells fruity?

I just nuke it in microwave in a plastic jug , cool it and pour in
Gladwrap and a rubber band .

100 mls solution per tallie
Give it 48 hours to wake up and munch down then onto stir plate for the first step up repeat for second step up and pitch away .
Might be a plan to do a 2 litre starter and hold back some yeast for another batch , I have old Vegemite jars with cultures of my favourites to save $$$

I just nuke it in microwave in a plastic jug , cool it and pour in
Gladwrap and a rubber band .

100 mls solution per tallie
Give it 48 hours to wake up and munch down then onto stir plate for the first step up repeat for second step up and pitch away .
Might be a plan to do a 2 litre starter and hold back some yeast for another batch , I have old Vegemite jars with cultures of my favourites to save $$$
Yep not wrong mark im not going to all this effort without saving some cheers for the tips mate.

Well I opted to boil half dextrose and half DME in a 500ml starter and sink dregs off 3 coopers tallies started spinning just now plenty yeasty looking tomorrow will tell how viable the yeast is. I've got high hopes.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 212

Back