Stone and Wood pale ale

Told you , it's a monster of a yeast strain
the sugar in the tallies wakes them up and gets them hungry for more complex sugars .
i have a cube here to get in the fridge asap for easter weekend , will have that kegged in 12 days and gassed and pouring by good friday

I did warn you .... Less than 18 hours in 1.048 wort with a chilled starter and shaken aeration wort and its got a solid 100 mm of krausen
This is a fourth generation starter so your results may vary

Attachments

• IMG_20170402_175548.jpg
    IMG_20170402_175548.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 190
@Mark D Pirate hey what sort of attenuation do you get out of this yeast on Average Mark?
Kicked off second step of all malt starter yesterday great fermentation this time plenty of krausen on top of starter and bubbles rising through flask. I'm thinking of spinning up a controlled starter at 17c same as expected ferment temp till brew day then toss it in hopefully at highish krausen.

depends on grainbill and mash temp , with low crystal grist @ 62 C mash i get 82 % + and a nice dry finish .

On that brew it's already at 1.019 so bumped up temp to 19C to let it finish off , will easily have that on tap by easter for my assistant to take away for the long weekend

depends on grainbill and mash temp , with low crystal grist @ 62 C mash i get 82 % + and a nice dry finish .

On that brew it's already at 1.019 so bumped up temp to 19C to let it finish off , will easily have that on tap by easter for my assistant to take away for the long weekend

Cheers Mark I'll use 80% as my custom attenuation and see how she goes. I think mash temp is set at 64 slightly higher then 62c. Grain should rock up for this brew tomorrow.

Alrighty gunna do a Friday night brew for this stone and wood Brew! Never done a Friday night brew but got an early nock off and thought why not get this baby rolling:p. Will flick some,pics when done.

Got my third step spinning on that coopers yeast it's at high krausen ATM so will pitch that later on tonight all into brew. I've got it spinning at 18c and will probably pitch at 18 or should I go 17 Mark just thought for first run with this yeast to not hold it back??

Going for bitter profile for this more gypsum and PH 5.2-3 ish gunna mash 63c 60min then 72 20 min for foam stability (I've herd this to be the case plus it converts any unconverted sugars).

Well I better go light the kettle then:).

Hope it works well for you , run it at 17 for a cleaner taste , first generation may behave a little different but will still charge through and start to drop out in a few days .
I had huge convection through the FV last batch , simply churning away

My go to homebrew store was sold out of Galaxy when I put my order in the other day. Went to local homebrew store today to pick up some Galaxy all sold out! :eek:. But luckily there was still some Morgan's finishing hop bags available them 12 g ones so bought three of them. I've still got a half a bag from last brew but was a close shave:rolleyes:.

Ok Mark I'll set regulator at 17;).

You know why its sold out ? Guys like me bought kilos ! Our Yank cousins have also decided its the ducks guts so they bought big too

The ducks guts or the Ducks Nuts a great bar up in Darwin don't know if it's open anymore used to have a great Vodka bar for the lady's. Yep she's a Stella hop my last three brews including this one were all Galaxy bound:).

Alrighty she's done my boil off calculations were way off with this brew I'm used to doing 90 min boils so I reduced my mash by 3 liters to account for less boil off biut my grist was larger and hop absorption I should of listened to Brewers friend water requirements :oops:. I plot 17 liters instead of 21 in fermentor I had a two liter starter and I boiled a two liter water addition to bring fermentor up to 21 LT @ 1.050. I've got some dialing in to do for 60 min boils :cool:.

Pic 1 is pre boil above expected of 1.038
Pic 2 ph right on the money as predicted by brewersfriend
Pic 3 active 2 LT coppers yeast starter to be pitched
Pic 4 OG of 1.050 after mucking around with volumes

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 173
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 140
Shes going bonkers this evening Marky boy nice foamy krausen not as crazy as the one you posted but for a recultured first run im very pleased with the results thus far. The Galaxy aroma fills the freezer mmmm yum might go stick me head back in the freezer:D.

I added some wort from samples i took whilst brewing to my flask for a fast ferment sample it will give me an estimated final gravity for this brew.

Took that gravity sample form fast ferment flask it was 1.010 80% attenuation that's all I ask out of my yeasties anything more is a bonus with saison yeast as an exception lol. Main batch is still burbling along this morning not as vigorously though.

Took that gravity sample form fast ferment flask it was 1.010 80% attenuation that's all I ask out of my yeasties anything more is a bonus with saison yeast as an exception lol. Main batch is still burbling along this morning not as vigorously though.

Since you now know when it is finished you can do some calculations and put in the keg at the right point in fermentation and let it self carbonate! Was at a brewery last summer that carbonated in the ferment tank then canned. Pretty cool set up for a small brewery, all organic.

Mashed at 63 i wouldn't be surprised if main batch gets a little lower than 1.01
by monday night i wouldn't be surprised if gravity is down to 1.020 or so and you can do a temp bump to 18-19 to ensure it finishes properly .

Mashed at 63 i wouldn't be surprised if main batch gets a little lower than 1.01
by monday night i wouldn't be surprised if gravity is down to 1.020 or so and you can do a temp bump to 18-19 to ensure it finishes properly .
My thoughts exactly yep will bump it up to 19 tomorrow night then wait two more days then throw in 30g dry hop addition wait 4 days then keg her up that's if all goes to plan;)

If you want that on tap by easter could even bend the rules and dry hop tuesday to thursday , keg and carb for the little bunny visit .
It's a monster of a yeast mate , have you taken a sample yet ?

If you want that on tap by easter could even bend the rules and dry hop tuesday to thursday , keg and carb for the little bunny visit .
It's a monster of a yeast mate , have you taken a sample yet ?
Na I'm still seeing airlock activity so untill then I'll sit tight and wait plus there is a scooner or two of passionfruit saison in the keg this is going into so no rush;).

Back