Funky/hoppy saison

Looks great, but I'm wondering whether your Hallertau Blanc might get covered up with those bold hops. The noble quality may come through and lend a nice earthiness, but the more subtle characteristics may be lost.
Should be a great beer, though. ;)

Yep brewed two Saisons in a row here and I've found the yeast are the big players in this style so let them do their thing keep em happy.

Any of guys had experienced with the wyeast 3711 French saison ? I curious on how exothermic it is ... more so wether I need to keep the glycol chiller hooked up to keep temps down. @J A my hope from the blanc addition is that "Sauvignon blanc" citrusy floral notes to complement the big tropical fruit from MoCitra

@J A my hope from the blanc addition is that "Sauvignon blanc" citrusy floral notes to complement the big tropical fruit from MoCitra

That hop is fantastic as a late addition. I've used it for my adjunct lager and those subtle notes really come through in a nice way. Given the distinctly un-subtle nature of both Citra and Mosaic, I doubt that you'll get much out of it. Personally, I'd use something like Magnum if you want the noble qualities and save the HB for a lager or maybe Kolsch or clean Blonde Ale. It'd be really interesting to try a split batch like this and see what it adds to that combination. Sometimes hop profiles are much more than the sum of their parts in terms of complexity.

I do have a kolsch up on deck (got a different hop in mind for it).:) I have plenty of experimenting I want to do with this saison ; apricots and oak , lacto and cherries, 100% Brett ..definitely need more fermentors for split batching

Reactions: J A
Yeah...with all that going on, any subtle hop notes are out the window. :)
Your big flavor/aroma hops should hold up, though.

Good night !!! Wyeast 3711 is a freaking monster 1.046-1.014 in just around 56 hrs !!! dry hop ready and transfered to a keg tonight ...5 days in keg w/ hops then they get pulled ...sample tasted really good with a little funk starting to shine through

thats the issue yeast love to ferment between 70 and 80 but we try to keep it cooler to start because it will raise up to 7 degrees during fermentation, I keep mine at 62 and always have a clean tasting beer and no off flavors from over excitement

Reading that German brewing forum the other day and they use this pitching method for ales of 30-ferment temp = pitch temp. Eg I'm going to ferment my summer ale at 18c so 30-18=12 so pitch ale at 12c and let free rise to ferment Temperature supposed to reduce and off flavours. Something new to me though.

I Wasn't trying to say that I felt it was an issue. More of an observation of how different yeast strains can be in their activity level.. this French saison strain for instance at its lowest temp range of 70 chewed through the wort where as others ale strains I've used at their low minimum temp could take 10 days to achieve the same level of attenuation.. sample tasted as expected

I Wasn't trying to say that I felt it was an issue. More of an observation of how different yeast strains can be in their activity level.. this French saison strain for instance at its lowest temp range of 70 chewed through the wort where as others ale strains I've used at their low minimum temp could take 10 days to achieve the same level of attenuation.. sample tasted as expected
Mate I fully get what your putting down. my last two Saisons I brewed I started them @26c as stated on the yeast packet and let the yeast free rise after first 24 hrs. they went bonkers and pretty much completely fermented out in the first 24 hrs. They both Finnished at 1.000 within the week! Yea saison yeast is one hungry sugar monster :D.

Tried my berrie saison for.lunch today to see how its comming along and it had a really nice tight creamy head on it. May not br delighted in the colour but the rest is mighty fine.

What don't you like about the color ? Muddy ?
Yep exactly not enough fruit there Llewellyn i needed to tripple the fruit addition to 2kg instead of 500g. I can taste the berries in the back ground but the fruity galaxy hop 8s pretty bold and steels the show still a nice brew that will get better with time.

Hmmm, well I tried to pull my dry hop charge from the keg tonight.... not happening. I would never guessed in 5 days that the yeast would have the beer on that much gas!! Slowly Pulled and pulled on relief value to get the lid off and you would think I had a tank hooked to it hahaha... put her in the kegerator to cool down and absorb more gas and try again tomorrow....a positive, the foam that came out was super creamy with little itty bitty bubbles ! Love it

Back