Funky/hoppy saison

Sounds like an similar issue Ozarks Had recently a miraculous extra gassy keg that kept over carbing and pouring foam.

Yep chill that keg down :).

Chilled overnight and after a hour of pulling on the little ring... success!!! Time to warm the critters back up for couple weeks.
I do believe that the hop aroma is much more distinctive and crips using this method, my guess is from the oxygen scrubbing of the still active fermentation when racking to the keg; orrr it was just due to blowing off what seemed like
500 L of co2 from that 4" headspace filling the air with MoCitra goodness :D

Chilled overnight and after a hour of pulling on the little ring... success!!! Time to warm the critters back up for couple weeks.
I do believe that the hop aroma is much more distinctive and crips using this method, my guess is from the oxygen scrubbing of the still active fermentation when racking to the keg; orrr it was just due to blowing off what seemed like
500 L of co2 from that 4" headspace filling the air with MoCitra goodness :D
A spunding valve let's you set at desired carbonation pressure then set and forget till ready to drink

I Wasn't trying to say that I felt it was an issue. More of an observation of how different yeast strains can be in their activity level.. this French saison strain for instance at its lowest temp range of 70 chewed through the wort where as others ale strains I've used at their low minimum temp could take 10 days to achieve the same level of attenuation.. sample tasted as expected

I'm new to all grain brewing - only a few batches under my belt. First - a general thank you to all who post on the forums. I have had many questions answered by forum topics/posts and reading them have been very helpful on my journey.

I made my first Saison 5 weeks ago with Wyeast 3711. I know the optimal fermentation temperature is higher but I read elsewhere to try fermenting it lower - in the 60-62 degree range. My basement ambient temps are 62 degrees in the winter so I tried it. I figured I would let rise to whatever temp it hit during fermentation.

My recipe had an OG of 1.056. I was a little concerned nothing was happening hearing how beastly 3711 ferments. I thought maybe the cool fermentation idea was a bad choice. I was not seeing signs of a vigorous fermentation - no airlock activity and the temperature bar on the fermentation bucket remained constant (usually I see a 3-4 degree rise with ale yeast). I knew something was happening, however, I could see a good krausen.

After 11 days in the primary, I transferred to a secondary to see what was happening. The gravity reading was 1.008. After 10 more days in the secondary, the gravity was holding steady at 1.006.

I'm not sure how long it took to get to 1.008 and I was surprised it dropped more to 1.006. I was very pleased with the end result. Tried it Saturday after 2 weeks in the bottle (I could not wait) and it had a very pleasant smooth mouth feel. If it gets better as it develops in the bottle, I will be very pleased.

Really a nice Saison with the banana and spice in the background mixing nicely with my hops. Certainly one of the better beers brewed to date and the 3711 yeast certainly can attenuate well below ideal fermentation temperatures.

I'm new to all grain brewing - only a few batches under my belt. First - a general thank you to all who post on the forums. I have had many questions answered by forum topics/posts and reading them have been very helpful on my journey.

I made my first Saison 5 weeks ago with Wyeast 3711. I know the optimal fermentation temperature is higher but I read elsewhere to try fermenting it lower - in the 60-62 degree range. My basement ambient temps are 62 degrees in the winter so I tried it. I figured I would let rise to whatever temp it hit during fermentation.

My recipe had an OG of 1.056. I was a little concerned nothing was happening hearing how beastly 3711 ferments. I thought maybe the cool fermentation idea was a bad choice. I was not seeing signs of a vigorous fermentation - no airlock activity and the temperature bar on the fermentation bucket remained constant (usually I see a 3-4 degree rise with ale yeast). I knew something was happening, however, I could see a good krausen.

After 11 days in the primary, I transferred to a secondary to see what was happening. The gravity reading was 1.008. After 10 more days in the secondary, the gravity was holding steady at 1.006.

I'm not sure how long it took to get to 1.008 and I was surprised it dropped more to 1.006. I was very pleased with the end result. Tried it Saturday after 2 weeks in the bottle (I could not wait) and it had a very pleasant smooth mouth feel. If it gets better as it develops in the bottle, I will be very pleased.

Really a nice Saison with the banana and spice in the background mixing nicely with my hops. Certainly one of the better beers brewed to date and the 3711 yeast certainly can attenuate well below ideal fermentation temperatures.
Yes it's a cool style if you like it I hear a lot of mixed feelings about saison. I find the beer gets better with time and the initial funkiness mellows some. I'm definitely going to continue brewing this style.

Saison is one of my go to styles. Always pleasing to drink and I enjoy the complexity of it . I have some dark saisons I how to get to so they are ready for next winter

Back