Kegging Problems

MrBIP

Premium Member
Reaction score
Kegging problems: Beer one, tap line split beer spewing out, so fixed that. Beer two: pulled out the next keg that has been sitting cold (lager) for 2 weeks, to add gelatin, no seal on the lid (it fell off apparently), was in the bottom of the keg... so it went to a new keg and screw the gelatin, it's fine enough. Still easier than bottling, but geez. Should have took 30 minutes tops, hour and half later... Beer three is going to keg Friday, hopefully that one goes smooth. (I'm laughing, big PIA tonight, but I'll have 3 taps flowing this weekend
1f642.png
:) )

PIA tonight... IPA this weekend!

Lucky you didn't have that keg on gas or you'd have an empty co2 bottle too:eek::p. How the heck did the seal end up in the keg?

Great ....all my life needs is more problems
I thought kegging would make my life easier and I just ordered the liquid side of my kegorator setup today
2x Intertaps
Gas line
Liquid connects
Clamps
$100 AUD
Kegs x 2 and reg cost me another hundred from a workmate but will get fresh seals before use .
If I can keep build with free fridge under $400 I'll be a very happy man !
(All prices in Aussie Pesos , our wages are higher but everything is expensive here )

Love me intertaps there mark great choice with these no foward sealing parts to get stuck on you. I was just searcing eBay and saw 2nd hand kegs going 50 with free postage! Probably stolen lol

I know where to steal corny kegs from , I may be a pirate at heart but still not a thief !
There's room for 4 kegs in the fridge , will add a manifold so I can slow carb and store kegs and also been given a liquid post adapter with a tap fitting for mobile beers so club meets will be easy

I know where to steal corny kegs from , I may be a pirate at heart but still not a thief !
There's room for 4 kegs in the fridge , will add a manifold so I can slow carb and store kegs and also been given a liquid post adapter with a tap fitting for mobile beers so club meets will be easy
Is that a liquid post adapter for intertap Mark?

Yea found it on keg King growler filler attachment ;).​

ive had my own problem the last couple days with a keg. dang dip tube keeps getting clogged with hop debris (thought I was more careful during the transfer). i must have unscrewed the post and cleaned it out about 8 times by now. First pull works beautifully, but the second one is barely a dribble.
I didn't secondary this beer either. I know it's not necessarily a causal relationship, but this is exactly why i do a secondary

Lucky you didn't have that keg on gas or you'd have an empty co2 bottle too:eek::p. How the heck did the seal end up in the keg?

All I can figure is that it fell off when I put the lid on two weeks ago (or 3?) and I didn't notice it. The seals on two of my keg lids are really sloppy; I need buy some new ones. I had put a short burst of CO2 on there for sit time, so when I pulled the pressure relief and got nothing, I knew something was wrong.

Good news is 30 PSI since last night, just checked it, by morning these two drop to serving pressure and tomorrow night I'm good to go. Which beats the heck out waiting 2 or 3 weeks for bottles and then having that weird indescribable "homebrewey" background taste for several more weeks after. Kegging is awesome. Clean beer. Quickly.

As for taps: I bought the cheap $12 taps and realize I need to go to the Intertaps or Perlicks. I don't drink beer every single day and these things getting sticky real quick. There's an upgrade coming in the near future on that end.

Careful JMcNamara, you're going to spur a "to secondary or not to secondary debate" :) I've also experienced the plugged dip tube. I prefer to transfer always for clearing out also. Oxidation smoxidation, between what I drink and give away, nothing lasts that long anyway. Risk of infection is also over dramatized in my opinion (my opinion may change if/when it actually happens).

Haha, I fully knew what fires I may have stoked when I said that.:D
Like you said, no oxidation or infection yet, so I'll keep doing what I'm doing

And I agree on a new tap, I'm probably going to be looking soon too. Do you know if the fancy ones can just go on a "regular" kegerator tower?

ive had my own problem the last couple days with a keg. dang dip tube keeps getting clogged with hop debris (thought I was more careful during the transfer). i must have unscrewed the post and cleaned it out about 8 times by now. First pull works beautifully, but the second one is barely a dribble.
I didn't secondary this beer either. I know it's not necessarily a causal relationship, but this is exactly why i do a secondary
Maybe cut a little more off the dip tube? Can get another one later to replace then would have the short one just in case this happens again.

Maybe cut a little more off the dip tube? Can get another one later to replace then would have the short one just in case this happens again.
Yeah, definitely thought of that, but don't have anything to cut it with

If anything, it's taught me to be a heckuva lot more careful racking the next time

When it first happened, we were out of town and I thought it was theasy picnic tap I bought. Ended up taking the top off the keg and pouring it into a jug. Not the best, but gotta get that sweet nectar out somehow

Careful JMcNamara, you're going to spur a "to secondary or not to secondary debate" :)
I have a quick answer. Use a secondary if you like to use a secondary. Don't use a secondary if you think it's a wasted effort or a risk. We as a forum promise not to judge you either way. :)

Cheep.tap.that doesnt gunk up is picnics tap that black pastic one. Yep cheep forward sealing ones are a PITA!

Last edited:
Best thing I ever did was replace my cheap Chinese taps on my kegerator with perlicks. If you're going to splash out I would recommend going for flow control - so much easier than trying to balance pressures etc.

Best thing I ever did was replace my cheap Chinese taps on my kegerator with perlicks. If you're going to splash out I would recommend going for flow control - so much easier than trying to balance pressures etc.
So it's a universal fit? I.e., whatever type of tire tread I get, it'll still fit on the rim?
(Not sure if that's the right analogy, I'm about 3 deep on my vodka and juices)

And MrBIP, how'd you know how to capitalize my last name? More importantly, do you know if it's Mick or Mac? (I can always tell the telemarketers for this one)

So it's a universal fit? I.e., whatever type of tire tread I get, it'll still fit on the rim?
(Not sure if that's the right analogy, I'm about 3 deep on my vodka and juices)
They fit onto the same shank (which goes through the fridge door) so yes it was a direct replacement. (I think that's what you were asking.....)

Back