"Tradional" German Wheat Beer

SwishBrewing

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey girls and guys

I am pretty new here and just found the forum part of the site, they have everything here! :)

Anyway looking to see what people think of this recipe. It's the first that I will have come up with an All Grain recipe myself and the first Wheat Beer I will have made.
I have done a decent amount of reading of forums about the yeast and the temperature I should ferment at, I am aiming for a noticeable Banana and Clove character but not overpowering, no bubblegum.

This is where I am at - http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/429728/summershine-hefeweizen

Some pointed questions:

1 - I have read that when using larger amounts of wheat Carapils isn't necessary, is this true
2 - Are Rice Hulls required to loosen the wheat in BIAB?
3 - I have hopped it quite heavily, do you reckon the flavours/aromas will compete?

So apart from the horrible name what do you think?

PS It's still a new system I'm brewing in so I haven't got all my volumes and % set yet, just in case some of them look crazy

Haha, you stumbled onto a good place here

I've heard rumblings that carapils isn't even all that necessary in general. I certainly don't use it every brew, and I think you'll be fine here to leave it out

I biab and have never used rice hulls.theyre used in a more traditional mash tun to keep things loose. They won't hurt anything, but they won't help. Save that space for more grain :)

I have no idea what summer hops even are, so can't help you much there. Good luck!

For the name, how about Summershinin' Hefeweizen? I do like some rhyming

Haha, you stumbled onto a good place here

I've heard rumblings that carapils isn't even all that necessary in general. I certainly don't use it every brew, and I think you'll be fine here to leave it out

I biab and have never used rice hulls.theyre used in a more traditional mash tun to keep things loose. They won't hurt anything, but they won't help. Save that space for more grain :)

I have no idea what summer hops even are, so can't help you much there. Good luck!

Cheers for the quick reply.
I think it may have been you that posted it on another thread about the Carapils.

Carapils are gone. up'd the Carared.
The Summer Hops also called Summer "Saaz" I have never used them before but meant to give a distinct Melon and Apricot aroma when used in Dry Hopping.

Cheers again.

Interesting know those hops. Sounds like it'd go good with the banana from the yeast

Not so sure about the clove side though. But, I do not like that flavor anyway, so what the heck do I know?

I would defiantly go at least 90 minutes on mashing wheat, its not as easy to pull sugars from than barley as a base

I would defiantly go at least 90 minutes on mashing wheat, its not as easy to pull sugars from than barley as a base

Should I just increase the times on the rests I have or add a few more in? The different rests are all very new to me, the only one I know is "important", in this case, is the Ferulic Acid rest.

Interesting know those hops. Sounds like it'd go good with the banana from the yeast

Not so sure about the clove side though. But, I do not like that flavor anyway, so what the heck do I know?

Most likely a lot more than I do. I'm thinking that Cloves and Apricot go well on Ham . . . and Lamb ohh and in Jam and it rhymes!! It's meant to be.

Most likely a lot more than I do. I'm thinking that Cloves and Apricot go well on Ham . . . and Lamb ohh and in Jam and it rhymes!! It's meant to be.
I do like how you think. You've got a flavor profile you're trying to get and building the recipe to get there

IMO...
yes on Q1
No on Q2
Probably not on Q3...hoppy wheats are sort of a thing in some circles.
For a wheat, I think I'd skip the protein mash. It's a Hefe, after all. Cloudiness is part of the style.

As for the name, I like it. Might go with Sunrizin' Hefeweizen just because it flows a little better. :)

IMO...
yes on Q1
No on Q2
Probably not on Q3...hoppy wheats are sort of a thing in some circles.
For a wheat, I think I'd skip the protein mash. It's a Hefe, after all. Cloudiness is part of the style.

As for the name, I like it. Might go with Sunrizin' Hefeweizen just because it flows a little better. :)

I have read that doing the 40c rest helps promote Ferulic Acid which is important in the formation of the clove like flavour?
I thought with this much wheat this beer will be hazy unless I go crazy filtering and fining?

That's true. If you're inclined to do it,it's not going to hurt. I think if you're really going all the way with the traditional German method, you'd need to do a decoction somewhere in there.

Idk, simpler is better in my book

From what I've read, today's malts are really geared towards a simple mash schedule. Doing all those rests actually work against all the science that made the malt the way it is

That's true. If you're inclined to do it,it's not going to hurt. I think if you're really going all the way with the traditional German method, you'd need to do a decoction somewhere in there.

Yeah so I'm not willing to do a decoction, just just no. hence the "traditional"
I plan to make this one a few times to get it right so next time I might try it without protein rest.

Reactions: J A
1 - I have read that when using larger amounts of wheat Carapils isn't necessary, is this true
2 - Are Rice Hulls required to loosen the wheat in BIAB?
3 - I have hopped it quite heavily, do you reckon the flavours/aromas will compete?

1. true. Wheat is excellent for head retention
2. only if you recirculate
3. significant late and dry hopping isn't really traditional. You have the right yeast for the flavor you want. I've been told most championship hefe's use the 300 for the authentic Southern German banana/clove.

The 40c rest will work to slightly reduce pH via lacto. Play that into the mash pH note from your link to make sure you're getting what you want out of it.

The 40m sacc rest seems short. Unless you already know you can get your 75% efficiency in that time, check it before you go to mash out and plan extra time in case conversion is not complete.

1. true. Wheat is excellent for head retention
2. only if you recirculate
3. significant late and dry hopping isn't really traditional. You have the right yeast for the flavor you want. I've been told most championship hefe's use the 300 for the authentic Southern German banana/clove.

The 40c rest will work to slightly reduce pH via lacto. Play that into the mash pH note from your link to make sure you're getting what you want out of it.

The 40m sacc rest seems short. Unless you already know you can get your 75% efficiency in that time, check it before you go to mash out and plan extra time in case conversion is not complete.

Not sure on any of my numbers really. This will be my second brew with it.

Where I am living now is not where I am going to be in 6 months so I am reluctant to buy too much equipment and "stuff" so I won't be working with Ph meters for a while, I guess iodine would be worth it though.
I will extend the sacc rest to 60 (going to be a long brew day)

Reactions: J A
Hay swish I know nose bear did a wheat beer awhile back with a ferulic acid rest. I was reading on mash ph last night and it said ferulic acid is better at a high mash ph so don't add any acid additions in until after your acid rest.
From www.braukaiser.com
If a ferulic acid rest is held at 35-40C (95-105F) the release of ferulic acid is reduced if the pH is below 5.7 [Narziss, 2005]. Because of that it is advisable to add any acidulated malt, which may be part of the grist for pH correction, after that rest has been complet

Back