"Tradional" German Wheat Beer

I am reluctant to buy too much equipment and "stuff" so I won't be working with Ph meters for a while,

A few pH test strips can give you better confidence you're in the range you want to be in for ferulic effects. You might be wasting all that time on the extra steps if you're flying blind.

Hey girls and guys

I am pretty new here and just found the forum part of the site, they have everything here! :)

Anyway looking to see what people think of this recipe. It's the first that I will have come up with an All Grain recipe myself and the first Wheat Beer I will have made.
I have done a decent amount of reading of forums about the yeast and the temperature I should ferment at, I am aiming for a noticeable Banana and Clove character but not overpowering, no bubblegum.

This is where I am at - http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/429728/summershine-hefeweizen

Some pointed questions:

1 - I have read that when using larger amounts of wheat Carapils isn't necessary, is this true
2 - Are Rice Hulls required to loosen the wheat in BIAB?
3 - I have hopped it quite heavily, do you reckon the flavours/aromas will compete?

So apart from the horrible name what do you think?

PS It's still a new system I'm brewing in so I haven't got all my volumes and % set yet, just in case some of them look crazy

I've rarely used Carapils for anything and see no need to in general. Wheat is much better at rounding out the mouthfeel and retaining head. Unless you want a grain bed the consistency of concrete, rice hulls are necessary. And finally, heavy hopping is not normal for a "traditional" German wheat beer, more likely found in American varieties. Getting both banana and clove is a balancing act with fermentation temperatures, too cool you balance toward clove, too warm toward banana. Trick is where is "just right." You'll have to brew it a few times to find your sweet spot. Hops will mask these flavors so keep that in mind when you talk about "heavy hopping."

Ferrulic acid rest will help with the clove flavors. As mentioned, add any acids after the rest.

A few pH test strips can give you better confidence you're in the range you want to be in for ferulic effects. You might be wasting all that time on the extra steps if you're flying blind.

That's true

I've rarely used Carapils for anything and see no need to in general. Wheat is much better at rounding out the mouthfeel and retaining head. Unless you want a grain bed the consistency of concrete, rice hulls are necessary. And finally, heavy hopping is not normal for a "traditional" German wheat beer, more likely found in American varieties. Getting both banana and clove is a balancing act with fermentation temperatures, too cool you balance toward clove, too warm toward banana. Trick is where is "just right." You'll have to brew it a few times to find your sweet spot. Hops will mask these flavors so keep that in mind when you talk about "heavy hopping."

Ferrulic acid rest will help with the clove flavors. As mentioned, add any acids after the rest.

Yeah, I have removed a good load of the hop additions and will probably reduce it some more. I have a lot more to think about than I thought

Regarding the clove/banana balance...I've found that most of those yeasts will throw more esters (banana) at higher temps and phenols (clove) at lower temps. The difference between 60F and 70F has a profound effect on the yeast flavor contributions.

Regarding the clove/banana balance...I've found that most of those yeasts will throw more esters (banana) at higher temps and phenols (clove) at lower temps. The difference between 60F and 70F has a profound effect on the yeast flavor contributions.

So do you think start lower then raise it up?

Yeah, I have removed a good load of the hop additions and will probably reduce it some more. I have a lot more to think about than I thought
Typical for a Hefeweizen is about 15-20 IBU.

So do you think start lower then raise it up?

That's what I would do. Maybe pitch fairly warm to get things going and cool down relatively quickly once the fermentation starts. There's usually pretty good info about yeast strains so you can probably make a good guess at the range that will give you the results you want.

I think that BF calculates wrong this wheat fermentables potentional sugars. Maybe you need more wheat or other fermentables to get your OG.

Back