What are you drinking right now?

Oktoberfest for me. Pumpkin Spice Porter for my wife.

Attachments

• IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    354.5 KB · Views: 127
Mmmm yum my Brulosophers Moctoberfest definitely coming into its own now gee time does change flavour it has all blended and mellowed together to one malty clean flavour lingering deliciousness. Anyone stuck on an October beer recipe I definitely recommend this as a goer. PROST!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    660.7 KB · Views: 156
I absolutely love a well made malty October beer, its one of my favorite styles

from this week, while at Bayou Teche had their Bayou Peche IPA, Sunset Limited, Legacies Lager and the 2nd Series of Legacies, and LA 31 Spur. LA31 is their Pale Ale and the Spur is the dry hopped barrel aged version of it, really damn good beer.

from whenever: Crowd Control (2016) by Southern Prohibiton, always good. Luau Krunkles by Terrapin was absolutely amazing. Dr. Hoptagon by Parish was also really good. Found the Paulaner Hefe-Weizen on draft.

and from last night, So Fresh & So Green, Green by Terrapin was good. And, Gnarly Barley has their Korova Peanut Butter Porter out, It's a milk porter with some of the richest chocolate taste i've ever experienced. It's like drinking a dark chocolate bar with peanuts. Too good.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMAG0209.jpg

Well balanced IPA. Ran out of my HB Copper King IPA:eek:

from this week, while at Bayou Teche had their Bayou Peche IPA, Sunset Limited, Legacies Lager and the 2nd Series of Legacies, and LA 31 Spur. LA31 is their Pale Ale and the Spur is the dry hopped barrel aged version of it, really damn good beer.

from whenever: Crowd Control (2016) by Southern Prohibiton, always good. Luau Krunkles by Terrapin was absolutely amazing. Dr. Hoptagon by Parish was also really good. Found the Paulaner Hefe-Weizen on draft.

and from last night, So Fresh & So Green, Green by Terrapin was good. And, Gnarly Barley has their Korova Peanut Butter Porter out, It's a milk porter with some of the richest chocolate taste i've ever experienced. It's like drinking a dark chocolate bar with peanuts. Too good.
Another pub crawl aye Oliver? You sure do get around the beer scean:p I tell ya what if I ever want to know a run down on a beer I haven't tried I'll be hitting you up for sure;).

I don't know about you guys but I haven't bought a commercial brew for ages I sorta feel bad buying beer when I make it:oops:. If I don't know a style of beer like cream ale for instance I'll brew one that's my craft beer journey. Down side would be I wouldn't know if I've knocked that style on the head so to speak.

i do still buy beer , dan murphys get some of the beers listed as commercial examples of the BJCP styles , i don't always enjoy them as some styles are simply not to my taste and will never be brewed .

i do buy a bit of the Grolsch , easy drinking beer but it's mostly for the swingtop bottles

Did just crack open an early sample Golden Promise / Cascade SmaSh and it's shaping up well , good on the nose and sits well on the tongue with mild esters from the yeast ... pretty much what i planned on :cool:

i do still buy beer , dan murphys get some of the beers listed as commercial examples of the BJCP styles , i don't always enjoy them as some styles are simply not to my taste and will never be brewed .

i do buy a bit of the Grolsch , easy drinking beer but it's mostly for the swingtop bottles

Did just crack open an early sample Golden Promise / Cascade SmaSh and it's shaping up well , good on the nose and sits well on the tongue with mild esters from the yeast ... pretty much what i planned on :cool:
Well I poured my first sample of my vanilla cream ale 1week in keg on 11psi not much carb little vanilla on the nose plenty on the pallet with a dry Finnish leading to slight vodka Finnish it's slightly warm down the throat but also has a little residual sweetness left behind will be interesting in a week or more. Definitely a sipper;).

Vodka finish and warm in the throat sound like fusel alcohols , did the ferment temp get a bit high ?
Those buggers made me quit brewing years ago until i had housemate ( food chemist ) who taught me error of my ways ....horrid nasty evil headaches from fusels

Vodka finish and warm in the throat sound like fusel alcohols , did the ferment temp get a bit high ?
Those buggers made me quit brewing years ago until i had housemate ( food chemist ) who taught me error of my ways ....horrid nasty evil headaches from fusels
Na not at all I steeped my vanilla pods in vodka for a week and then threw em in fermentor once primary fermentation was done its carried through to keg. That wlp 090 is super clean yeast so I'm sure it's got no,part in it but I don't mind the flavour I think it will turn out alright it just needs time in the keg to round off

Drinking my L1 steam lager nice drop if I might say so myself:)

Just wish I'd kept my line clean and not run vanilla cream ale through then my lager I'm sure residual in this glass ha ha

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    484.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
And yet again brulosophers moctoberfest mmm my favourite on tap ATM. A well balanced brew!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    570.4 KB · Views: 132
I don't know about you guys but I haven't bought a commercial brew for ages I sorta feel bad buying beer when I make it:oops:. If I don't know a style of beer like cream ale for instance I'll brew one that's my craft beer journey. Down side would be I wouldn't know if I've knocked that style on the head so to speak.

buying and trying as many beers as possible is part of the process in my opinion. I find it a necessity to get my fix of beer, it's important. Understanding what's out there, understanding ingredients, techniques, styles. That's like calling yourself a musician who makes all his own music, but never listens to anyone else and has no influences. It just doesn't work that way.

buying and trying as many beers as possible is part of the process in my opinion. I find it a necessity to get my fix of beer, it's important. Understanding what's out there, understanding ingredients, techniques, styles. That's like calling yourself a musician who makes all his own music, but never listens to anyone else and has no influences. It just doesn't work that way.

Agreed. Last night's Dortmunder at the Dry Dock nearly made me weep. Dang, I wish I could brew that beer!

I guess that makes me a musician that is quite happy to hear only my own music (and share my music with people who tell me they like it.)

If you want to brew and buy, do it.

If you want only to brew, do it.

If you want only to buy, do it.

Perfectly happy people can exist in any of those 3 scenarios.

That and I am a cheep arse. What's a slab worth over in America that's a craft type beer? here in Aus your looking at 60 bucks I can brew nearly two hopped up batches for that. most of the craft beer and regular session beer they sell I can in my opinion make better to suit my taste. We've got a dan Murphys just opened up in town so will be sure to see if they have some top drop and I'd probably buy something like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale so I can re culture the yeast :rolleyes:.

Don't get me wrong I have some great emerging micro breweries in my back yard here on the coast but I think our craft beer scene don't quite rival the American craft beer scene. You walk into a bar here in Aus you'd have all the major typical breweries beers on tap and maybe two craft brews that are probably brewed and owned by them big boys anyway. I've herd it costs a bit to get your beer on tap in a pub here and there is a lot of rivalry from the big breweries too. I remember talking to a beer rep a while back who used to market woollies beer here Australia wide She said they pretty much own the pubs and bottle'os and not only that but have their own beer they sell for cheaper than the competition they even buy out complete breweries like Sol Mexican brewery I herd they just bought the whole brewery so they could set the costs at what they wanted. So that's my rant on why I don't buy comercial or try not too anyway.
Micro Brewers you bet! big comercial brews na sorry I don't think it's condusive to better beer them big boys want to squash them Micro breweries outta the market.

Aussie tastes are different , look at our highest selling beers and they're pretty awful !
Here in Radelaide theres an emerging beer culture , if you head down to Brisvegas you can find plenty of decent beers
As to getting good imported beers they dont travel well , SNPA tastes much better in the US !
We had them here for our beer fest with the draft version and fresh bottles , much tastier

I'm all for trying different beers when I go to a bar. I'll just never buy them to stock them at home. I'm much more inclined to let those beers inspire a new recipe to find or build.

Aussie tastes are different , look at our highest selling beers and they're pretty awful !
Here in Radelaide theres an emerging beer culture , if you head down to Brisvegas you can find plenty of decent beers
As to getting good imported beers they dont travel well , SNPA tastes much better in the US !
We had them here for our beer fest with the draft version and fresh bottles , much tastier

Well I suppose I'll just have to brew one aye Mark I see its one of the top brews on this site and I think by mr Ozark if my beer swilled memory serves me corect :rolleyes:

Back