Session IPA

MarcolinoCM

Trial Member
Reaction score
Is this a good recipe for a session IPA?
I will try this recipe in a few days, and I don´t know if it will do great.
I expect a beer with lots of hops flavour and aroma, with light-medium body and some caramel from malt.
Mash temperature will be 68 Celsius or 154.4 Fahrenheit.
Yeast: US-05 fermentis, at 18 Celsius or 64.4 Fahrenheit.

OG:1.044
FG: 1.009
ABV: 4.63%
IBU: 37.83
SRM: 14.39
For 25 liters or 6.6 gallons.

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
3.9 kg United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale 38 3.75 82.1%
0.4 kg United Kingdom - Amber 32 27 8.4%
0.4 kg United Kingdom - Crystal 140L 33 140 8.4%
0.05 kg Flaked Oats 33 2.2 1.1%
4.75 kg Total
Hops
15 g Centennial Pellet 10.9 Boil 20 min 11.33
15 g azacca Pellet 10.1 Boil 20 min 10.5
15 g pekko Pellet 15.4 Boil 20 min 16
20 g Centennial Pellet 10.9 Boil 0 min
20 g Azacca Pellet 10.1 Boil 0 min
20 g pekko Pellet 15.4 Boil 0 min
40 g Centennial Pellet 10.9 Dry Hop 5 days
40 g azacca Pellet 10.1 Dry Hop 5 days
40 g pekko Pellet 15.4 Dry Hop 5 days

sounds pretty good. personally i prefer no caramel malts in my IPAs, caramel can cover some hop flavor.

Im not saying this wont be good but I thought the whole reason of having any session beer was to lighten all flavors and alcohol making it an easy drinking beer
I thought that this recipe was an IPA with lightened flavors and alcohol, do you think that IPA-style can´t be "sessioned"?

I personally have had a strong hop flavor in a session beer and didn't like it my self but thats not to say it will be bad, thats just my taste

I've made "session" IPAs with IBUs in the 35-40 range and it absolutely depends on the hops and how the bitterness lays against the thinner bodied-malt. If those hops are not too harsh or lingering in their bitterness ( I have no experience at all with Azacca or pekko,) it might be fine. Those are high-AA hops and the bit of Crystal and Amber will give someplace for the hop flavor to land, so to speak.
I'd consider flaked barley instead of the oats, though. And the Maris Otter is great, but you might consider a touch of Munich or Vienna to lend some sweet malt to help fill out the more dry, bready, toasty character.

IMO C 140 may be a bit heavy handed in the beer your looking for. I would look into C 60 to give that nice light carmel instead of a sweeter toffee of C140 and should aid in drink-ability. Another go to for me is golden naked oats in place of flaked oats; impart great mouth feel and add some foam stability.
might I add with a session I've done I found patience was really needed for that style of beer to really mature in aroma and mouth feel; give her 6 weeks to condition.
Prost!

Back