What's your next brew

Don't skimp on them in your brew.
In my American Wheat (2.5 gallon batch), I’m adding 7 grams each at 5 minutes and after knockout to whirlpool for 15 minutes. Then 4 days before bottling, I will dry hop 14 grams. This should be enough, I hope, to deliver some of what I seek.

In my American Wheat (2.5 gallon batch), I’m adding 7 grams each at 5 minutes and after knockout to whirlpool for 15 minutes. Then 4 days before bottling, I will dry hop 14 grams. This should be enough, I hope, to deliver some of what I seek.
I assume you want no bitterness in that brew.

I reworked my Azacca Wheat recipe, increasing the wheat, adding some Pilsner at the expense of some 2-row, and increasing the honey malt. This recipe lost Azacca hops altogether, in favor of Mandarina Bavaria - I’m going after an aroma and flavor of tangerine without the hassle of zesting.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/1402898
Not telling you how to brew what you want, but a carrot/potato peeler does a fantastic job of peeing citrus zest. Try it next time you want something that needs citrus peel.

Not telling you how to brew what you want, but a carrot/potato peeler does a fantastic job of peeing citrus zest. Try it next time you want something that needs citrus peel.
I come from the work harder school, but on this brew I really wanted the hops to deliver the flavor. Going back to the Azacca Wheat, which I submitted for the 3rd Quarter Community Brew in 2022, I was aiming for a flavor similar to Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat, a commercial favorite. On that beer, I peeled tangerines and soaked them in vodka, adding the infused vodka just hours before bottling. Unfortunately, here in Eugene I don’t have the extensive selection of citrus that was available in SoCal.

I come from the work harder school, but on this brew I really wanted the hops to deliver the flavor. Going back to the Azacca Wheat, which I submitted for the 3rd Quarter Community Brew in 2022, I was aiming for a flavor similar to Lost Coast Tangerine Wheat, a commercial favorite. On that beer, I peeled tangerines and soaked them in vodka, adding the infused vodka just hours before bottling. Unfortunately, here in Eugene I don’t have the extensive selection of citrus that was available in SoCal.
Yeah, citrus is gonna like the warmer climes. Was the vodka marinade for sanitation? I just dumped the zest into the boil about 10 minutes before flameout, along with the coriander. The coriander seems to hide the citrus from desiccated peel, but the oils from fresh zest aren’t that easily hidden. This batch is as good as any I’ve made on the recipe. How much impact did the vodka have on the FG? Seems that would make it a fortified brew.

Yeah, citrus is gonna like the warmer climes. Was the vodka marinade for sanitation? I just dumped the zest into the boil about 10 minutes before flameout, along with the coriander. The coriander seems to hide the citrus from desiccated peel, but the oils from fresh zest aren’t that easily hidden. This batch is as good as any I’ve made on the recipe. How much impact did the vodka have on the FG? Seems that would make it a fortified brew.
Yes, whenever someone talks about adding citrus with vodka, the vodka is to sanitize the citrus.
Usually, when you sanitize in the boil, you do lose flavor from things like fruit and honey. At least, that is my research, and I have relied on it. My research indicated not to put honey in the boil and not to put blueberries in the boil.

I always read that name wrong.
Sometimes it is hormonal kveik and sometimes homicidal kveik :rolleyes:

Anyway, my next brew is a simple cider on slurry
Here you go. I spelled it incorrectly as well.
20230804_133643_01.jpg

Brewing a Apricot Vienna Lager today!

Hornidal was the first kviek i used. Voss is my current favorite for how neutral and fast it is.

I just looked at my old brews and I had used Hornindal in the past but it was early in my brewing. Voss is quick and clean. A couple of years ago I reused it 3 or 4 times from dry.

I just looked at my old brews and I had used Hornindal in the past but it was early in my brewing. Voss is quick and clean. A couple of years ago I reused it 3 or 4 times from dry.

Ya I generally get 3 to 4 generations before it craps out. Also very dependent upon my brewing schedule. I generally toss it if it is more then a week or 2 old unless i have ALOT of it to pump up my total cells.

I have used Opshaug, Horni, and Voss. of the 3 Voss is my preference. Plus I can get it in 500g blocks from Llalamand(sp?) which is 2 full pitches for me.

That seems pretty straight forward. I don't have some of the hops but I'll give this a try. Thanks Ben!
They come out like a Hazy with the oats and wheat.
They were ment to be straight forward to brew but more so about the hops.
I see I really wacked alot of gypsum in there.

The Hornidal I had wasn't isolated so it had some other stuff going on. I got that yeast of Ebay from some guy in Europe called the "Yeasterbunny$ lol:D

A mate of mine brewed with it exclusively for easy over a year (GOT HIM INTO BREWING WITH KVIEK) until I got a new fruity Kviek strain called Framgarden which he still brews with up until these days same yeast just repitching trub years later.

I perfered the Hornidal over Framgarden for hoppy tropical fruity beers where you didn't care for clarity.
I found none of my kviek beers ever cleared up.
I found they needed some love toward the end of fermentation even when fermenting 40c.
I brewed kviek when it came out originally 4 years ago and ran with it exclusively for a year or two in all styles i brewed including stouts.

If you like kviek try and get one of the more traditional non F'd with strains (non isolated) they will perform better long term and taste better. They will repitch better and remain the same...

My mate that was using Hornidal actually preferred my Hornindal strain over Imperial Yeast Hornidal strain saying it threw Banana on him :confused: WTF it's not a Hefeweitzen yeast lol.

Anyhow as you can tell I love the more funky kvieks I don't understand us brewers trying to turn a Farm house ancient Kviek strain into a lager strain just leave Kviek Kviek and grab some Lager yeast or chico if you want a clean beer:);).

Back