What are you doing with homebrew today?

Glycol is cooling kegmenter down to 18c
20220807_072818.jpg
then I'll pitch this ripe BRY 97 starter
20220807_072731.jpg

Fare thee well Murgy :D

Well the last 3 brews have I’ve under shot the gravity. On the zoom i mentioned the crush didn’t look right (northern brewer). So the Festbier I brewed today is a Helles. The larger batch size, mashing and with less water I’m sure caused it. It was raining so we used my stove. Didn’t want that much grain and water in the stove so we topped off at the end. I topped off too much to boot. Oh well it will be enjoyable and sessionable

So @Trialben you said a mill was the best improvement for you. I’m mill shopping now. @Sunfire96 also looking into a corona mill

Well the last 3 brews have I’ve under shot the gravity. On the zoom i mentioned the crush didn’t look right (northern brewer). So the Festbier I brewed today is a Helles. The larger batch size, mashing and with less water I’m sure caused it. It was raining so we used my stove. Didn’t want that much grain and water in the stove so we topped off at the end. I topped off too much to boot. Oh well it will be enjoyable and sessionable

So @Trialben you said a mill was the best improvement for you. I’m mill shopping now. @Sunfire96 also looking into a corona mill
There's a good thread on homebrewtalk for corona mill builds. I'll find it for you tomorrow

Yeah man I stand by this.
Like i said to you 6 years ago if I could of appeared to my hombrewing past self and said "Oi D!@khead get a mill" I would of been blest:D.

But you know have to grind my grains a hundred times in the thermomix to finally shed $80 bucks yup that's all it was for a kegland 2 roller mill.
Best purchase lately I've been having brewer heavenly moments though when using my kegmenter I love that thing it's nothing special but it's stainless and sealable and you can dump boiling wort or cleaning liquids straight in without no probs and you can fit your arm in the 4inch opening..only thing is no body told me tri clamp seals Strech somehow:confused: yup gotta get some 4" tri seals.

Anyhow anough hot air from me you know what you gotta do Josh :Dlol!

Wholly crap ok this is a first time keg hop experience yup I bought the thing a few batches back but didn't use it.

Thought I'd try a sample after overnight
20220807_123440.jpg

Yup it's more hoppy but gee check the haze this is yesterday's sample as above
20220806_134758.jpg

Maybe I've re stirred up the trub at the bottom dropping in the stainless cylinder and the loss of carbonation causing nucleation briefly has caused this extreme murk.
Anyhow @Sunfire96 I know you've been doing this recently the haze clears after I bit I expect lol
Check the whipped cream.
20220807_123850.jpg

I'm happy I did this though
Turned it briefly into a Neipa ....

Wholly crap ok this is a first time keg hop experience yup I bought the thing a few batches back but didn't use it.

Thought I'd try a sample after overnight View attachment 21740
View attachment 21741
Maybe I've re stirred up the trub at the bottom dropping in the stainless cylinder and the loss of carbonation causing nucleation briefly has caused this extreme murk.
Anyhow @Sunfire96 I know you've been doing this recently the haze clears after I bit I expect lol
Check the whipped cream.
View attachment 21742
Bet you'll be sharting after that one!

Bet you'll be sharting after that one!
Yeah ive had 5 milds now but that one got tirfed half way through it was enough for me to do some yard work though.
Worked up a good thirst for some mild ale:p.

I'll find out tomorrow lol Ok sharing to much now lol:p

Today I'm drying hops, if the rain stops long enough for things to dry out, I may pick some more. I built six 2'x4' burlap drying screens last year, right now they are all full. Northern Brewer will hopefully be dry by this evening, Saaz and mystery hop #1 are just a bit behind(hoping for Tuesday?). As of right now, I figure I have about 1/3 of the hops yard picked, with the Early Cluster NEEDING to get picked(or not, I have 10 L8 Cluster bines too). The Sterling will be ready by next weekend, Mystery Hop #2 is ready(I susspect it is also Sterling, a little ahead of the Sterling up the hill from it...probably because of the higher trelis and better sunlight).

Don't expect the main Cluster trelis to be ready until the last week of August/first of September.

So yesterday evening it took off like a rocket. Once I let the temp get up to the mid 60s. Woke up his morning and it’s at 1.020 and 72 degrees so I’ll cool it a little.
My guess here would be oxygen paired with pressure fermenting. How well did you oxygenate on this batch versus previous? I assume the same but I know I have forgotten to oxygenate after a long brew day and the result was a late start to fermentation... Glad to hear it finaly took off. I assume that you're lagering at some nice cool temps now or have already kegged it :)

Looking forward to getting some consistency. I still have enough crushed grain to get me through 3 more batches of beer. I’ll run those grain through it on brew days.

Thought I'd try a sample after overnight View attachment 21740
View attachment 21741
Check the whipped cream.
View attachment 21742

Looks like you made a milk shake IPA. What was the hop load on this brew?

Brewin' up my 'lazy' recipe, Rapier Wit. Boil on in 10 minutes (took that long to heat the pot). Witing for flavor step (orange peel and coriander). Dissolved the DME in 2.5 gallons of water, Will dilute with clean ice to chill it down to pitch temp. Repitching 4th generation S-33 in this batch. Still smells nice and bready after decanting the nice smelling beer on top. I think I'm gonna toss the yeast cake after this batch because I still have the cake from the last batch of Rapier Wit as well.

Back