What are you doing with homebrew today?

Boiled the lemon basil gose. Hops, salt, and nutrients added in the boil with a little lemongrass, and lemon peel and fresh basil leaves are soaking in the hot wort overnight as it no chills. Will pull the aromatics out tomorrow when I pitch yeast. This is a quirky one, but fingers crossed!

So 48 hours since I racked the wort into the fermenter. According to my tilt it’s dropped 5 points….
To say I am freaking out is an understatement

Last edited:
@sunfire:
I keep thinking you are using lemon-basil, instead of lemon & basil :) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_basil
I got my garden full of the stuff, but I prefer it, and italian basil, on my pizza.
Can't imagine basil in my beer...
Maybe I just have to drop in on you for a taster and broaden my horizon

@sunfire:
I keep thinking you are using lemon-basil, instead of lemon & basil :) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_basil
I got my garden full of the stuff, but I prefer it, and italian basil, on my pizza.
Can't imagine basil in my beer...
Maybe I just have to drop in on you for a taster and broaden my horizon
I agree it's a little weird :) I got the idea from a beer I tried at a craft beer fest a few years ago. It was an especially hot day and I was very narrow minded in my beer preferences back then, and thought there was no way I would like this lemon basil wheat...but it was delicious!

So 48 hours since I racked the wort into the fermenter. According to my tilt it’s dropped 5 points….
To say I am freaking out is an understatement
Only dropped 8 as of right now. I’m fermenting at ale temps under pressure….I should be more than 8 points down. My question what are the effects of super slow fermentation? Will this thing actually get going? At what point do I dump and brew another?

Last edited:
Only dropped 8 as of right now. I’m fermenting at ale temps under pressure….I should be more than 8 points down. My question what are the effects of super slow fermentation? Will this thing actually get going? At what point do I dump and brew another?
Seems odd that the 34/70 hasn't taken off either. How much pressure and how long into fermentation did you start spunding?

Bottling day....and what a day it was...a wand malfunction had me washing the kitchen matt and the vinyl floor but I still got 2 cases + and a little something to test out in the SodaStream. Munich Cluster with some oats...reminds me of an ordinary bitter....I used Lutra at a low temperature, 68° F....the stuff makes a pretty dense yeast cake.

View attachment 21565
Howduya like them sexy blue crowns?

Oh yeah...the Indestro worked great...let's see how those 4 test bottles do...
I love those sexy blue crowns.

I agree it's a little weird :) I got the idea from a beer I tried at a craft beer fest a few years ago. It was an especially hot day and I was very narrow minded in my beer preferences back then, and thought there was no way I would like this lemon basil wheat...but it was delicious!
Not at all weird. Basil rocks, even in beer. I made a bacon, jalapeno and basil omelette this morning for breakfast. With cheddar. Yum! Cucumber, basil and onion salad for dinner.

Yeah…I’m down 11 points now.
Maybe that yeast is just a crappy pitch.
Your under what pressure.
The pressure reduces yeasts growth and ester production.
Maybe maybe a slight underpitch even at the warmer temps.
I would worry about it tasting bad if it were a clean pitch Maybe this one's just playing hard ball with you I'd definitely bump the temp up before FG in a day or two to help this sluggish yeast.

So yesterday evening it took off like a rocket. Once I let the temp get up to the mid 60s. Woke up his morning and it’s at 1.020 and 72 degrees so I’ll cool it a little.
Now this will be one of the best beers you've ever made and you'll never be able to replicate it :D

Back