Covid

I wish I could share your optimism @Craigerrr:
View attachment 18850

And here's the hospital capacity data lately. Red dots have 0-25% inpatient bed capacity available
View attachment 18851
Whoa! I haven't looked at the global numbers for a while, that is disturbing for sure.
I see that the new cases in the US has been roughly 750k the each of the last couple of days.
These numbers are from worldometers site for Thursday
upload_2022-1-7_5-35-30.png

Does anyone believe these numbers?
upload_2022-1-7_5-31-55.png

Canada has been on fire too, for a per capita amount you can roughly multiply this by 10.
upload_2022-1-7_5-34-11.png

Remember that testing is also more prevalent. Nonetheless the actual number of cases is possibly ten times higher.

Remember that testing is also more prevalent. Nonetheless the actual number of cases is possibly ten times higher.

Well.... "Like" might not be the right word...more like agree, Don. I too think all the earlier numbers were lower than reported and in this round, the numbers for children are much more significant!

In the UK they count anyone who has not had their booster (which you can ONLY get if you have had both vaccines) and double vaccinated people not yet past 14 days after the second vaccine (when the vaccine has taken effect) as being unvaccinated. This means that vaccinated people are included in the "unvaccinated" figures. I find this highly suspicious if not bordering on deliberately corrupt - just to increase the fear factor and further divide the vaccinated from the unvaccinated. I for one do not like being manipulated by government agencies. It makes me suspicious of their actions and question their motives. Their arguments for being vaccinated turn from persuasive to enforcement - something a democracy should NOT do.

In the UK they count anyone who has not had their booster (which you can ONLY get if you have had both vaccines) and double vaccinated people not yet past 14 days after the second vaccine (when the vaccine has taken effect) as being unvaccinated. This means that vaccinated people are included in the "unvaccinated" figures. I find this highly suspicious if not bordering on deliberately corrupt - just to increase the fear factor and further divide the vaccinated from the unvaccinated. I for one do not like being manipulated by government agencies. It makes me suspicious of their actions and question their motives. Their arguments for being vaccinated turn from persuasive to enforcement - something a democracy should NOT do.

I am not a medical expert, so please feel free to tear this apart…
I was under the impression that the original vaccine was not designed to last forever, thus the need for the booster. So if you got your original vaccine last spring and never received a booster, for all intents and purposes you are unvaccinated.

further divide the vaccinated from the unvaccinated
This has hit home for me, quite literally. One of my close friends is unvaccinated, and I respect his decision, but due to concerns over the spike in cases and the highly contagious nature of the latest variant, we have had to exclude my friend from our weekly get togethers. It took some ginger stick handling to deliver the message, and not ruin the friendship. This stupid ass pandemic could not come to an end soon enough...

You're a lot more patient and forgiving than I am Craig. I wouldn't be nearly that polite in that circumstance.

This has hit home for me, quite literally. One of my close friends is unvaccinated, and I respect his decision, but due to concerns over the spike in cases and the highly contagious nature of the latest variant, we have had to exclude my friend from our weekly get togethers. It took some ginger stick handling to deliver the message, and not ruin the friendship. This stupid ass pandemic could not come to an end soon enough...

I work with someone who refuses to get any vaccination of any kind and contracted Covid the other day and you have to think "why do these people think there invincible" they go out to big events like normal, I've had 4 family members die of Covid, all over the age of 80 so in my head I'm both saying get well and sorry but but at the same time saying I told you so :confused:

You're a lot more patient and forgiving than I am Craig. I wouldn't be nearly that polite in that circumstance.

Appreciate the thought Hawk. I don't have a hate on for non vaxxers. For whatever reason they have it is their decision, and for whatever reason my decision is mine. I don't look at it as a right vs, wrong thing. I trust the science, and he does not.

We have been gathering weekly with the exception of the first lockdown period almost two years ago now, and have been gently prodding him to get vaccinated during this time. He has been describing himself as a hesitant vaxxer, but now that we have put a pause on his participation he has stated that he will not be getting vaccinated. I respect this, and look forward to having him back as soon as it makes sense. Part of my thought process is that if I am vaccinated, he poses a limited risk to me. At the same time, his increased risk of infection, increases the chances of me becoming infected.

I believe, or at least hope that this will eventually this will pass (unless this is in fact prophesy coming to fruition as some believe), at that time I sincerely hope that my friend will still be my friend, for ever and ever, amen.

I view them with the same attitude as the idiots who wouldn't get an MMR vaccine and caused Measles to make a comeback. Your own note proves it was never "hesitancy" and they were lying about that. To me that means they don't care about my health and well being beyond whatever selfish reason they have for not doing it. (Note, those literally unable to get it do not go in this category, they are the ones we're supposed to be protecting)

I can appreciate your position but I've made and lost multiple friendships in my life over ethics so losing another one won't be the end of my world.

Back