What are you doing with homebrew today?

Monitoring the IPA fermentation, waiting for a tracking number for the bottles I ordered, and deciding what my next brews will be after the cream ale. I'd like to try a grisette and I emailed the brewery where I tried one a couple years ago to see if they will divulge any info about theirs that I enjoyed a lot. @Nosybear I would love to take a look at your recipe too if that's alright :)

I'm leaning towards a French saison yeast because I've heard they're less "saisony" than the belgian strains. I've also done some reading about the new Lalbrew Farmhouse ale strain and Omega Gulo Ale strain, both seem interesting. The Lalbrew is a high attenuator and non-diastatic strain and the Omega Gulo is a hybrid of Irish ale yeast and French Saison yeast that is also a high attenuator with diastaticus present but is supposed to be very clean and dry without the peppery phenols.
This sounds good. How will you carb in bottle or keg. I believe the carb level is supposed to be up around 3.0 vol. Normal bottles might not handle that level

This sounds good. How will you carb in bottle or keg. I believe the carb level is supposed to be up around 3.0 vol. Normal bottles might not handle that level
IIRC a standard American glass bottle is rated to 3 vol of CO2. I've been using carb tabs to prime lately, I probably won't change the dose from what I've been doing on my pales/IPAs.

Monitoring the IPA fermentation, waiting for a tracking number for the bottles I ordered, and deciding what my next brews will be after the cream ale. I'd like to try a grisette and I emailed the brewery where I tried one a couple years ago to see if they will divulge any info about theirs that I enjoyed a lot. @Nosybear I would love to take a look at your recipe too if that's alright :)

I'm leaning towards a French saison yeast because I've heard they're less "saisony" than the belgian strains. I've also done some reading about the new Lalbrew Farmhouse ale strain and Omega Gulo Ale strain, both seem interesting. The Lalbrew is a high attenuator and non-diastatic strain and the Omega Gulo is a hybrid of Irish ale yeast and French Saison yeast that is also a high attenuator with diastaticus present but is supposed to be very clean and dry without the peppery phenols.
Another Farmhouse strain I've been interested in is Lithuanian farmhouse Simonaitis
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...kQFnoECAMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3lsalZGxhG15S-DCo48eZ-
Like kviek but not quite .
Anyhow this is the isolated strain.

Another Farmhouse strain I've been interested in is Lithuanian farmhouse Simonaitis
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...kQFnoECAMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3lsalZGxhG15S-DCo48eZ-
Like kviek but not quite .
Anyhow this is the isolated strain.
Looks intriguing. I'm trying to avoid low floccuating strains because I bottle straight from the fermenter. Omega has a Lithuanian Farmhouse strain as well, but the description of strong black pepper turned me off of it

https://omegayeast.com/yeast/belgian-ales/jovaru-lithuanian-farmhouse

I got an email back from the brewer about the grisette! I spent a lot of time today researching mixed fermentation and yeast strains and came to the conclusion that I'm going to need solid fermentation temp control before I attempt this beer. And preferably a 2nd fermenter. I've never used diastaticus yeast before and I'm worried about the long fermentation time and my lack of patience in packaging to open up the fermenter for another brew :)

I got an email back from the brewer about the grisette! I spent a lot of time today researching mixed fermentation and yeast strains and came to the conclusion that I'm going to need solid fermentation temp control before I attempt this beer. And preferably a 2nd fermenter. I've never used diastaticus yeast before and I'm worried about the long fermentation time and my lack of patience in packaging to open up the fermenter for another brew :)
I'm brewing with Diastaticus Belgian Sasion 1 yeast. That passionfruit saison I bottled 7 off the keg @1.008 so far i havnt opened one but I'll let you know if its over carbonated or goes boom:)

Nice when a brewer is happy to share :D

Diastaticus scared me, even though I was kegging. Yes, you think it is done, the Tilt says it is done, but those Diastaticusses are sneaky. Then to avoid 'infection' I used Iodophor to make sure it was all dead after. A second fermenter will let you leave it be for a while.

Patience, and multiple fermenters are quite the plus. I am glad to be in possession of both.

I have my second batch of IPA of the 3 C’s in the fermenter since Labor Day, and my wife and I are going out of town for a little vacay. Sunday, before we leave, I will dry hop that brew. It should be ready for packaging when we return on Thursday, so almost 3 weeks in the fermenter. The previous batch I had bottled in about 2 weeks. I am hoping that the extra time in the fermenter might improve clarity - that is the patience part. If not, it is still a very tasty beer.

I just renewed my AHA (American Homebrewers Association) membership, and as a result of renewing early, I saved $5. An added bonus is they are sending me a half kilo (1.1 pounds) of Azacca hops. Therefore, I will be looking into beers to use this huge (for me) quantity of hops.

I just renewed my AHA (American Homebrewers Association) membership, and as a result of renewing early, I saved $5. An added bonus is they are sending me a half kilo (1.1 pounds) of Azacca hops. Therefore, I will be looking into beers to use this huge (for me) quantity of hops.
Nice!! Last year I just got a few dollars off. I need to pay attention to stuff like this.

I'm debating whether to renew or not. To me it is essentially a magazine subscription.

A nice benefit of membership is the discounts that are offered by home brewing supply shops, breweries and brew pubs/restaurants. I will try to use membership to my benefit next week in Palm Springs.

Back