What's your favorite extract recipe?

That is not possible, you must be wrong :rolleyes:

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Warped sense of humor)
I'm willing to try more beer to change my opinion, but so far all belgian or belgian-style beers I've tried have not been for me. Similar to weizens/weiss beers, that yeast profile just isn't doing it for me lol

I'm willing to try more beer to change my opinion, but so far all belgian or belgian-style beers I've tried have not been for me. Similar to weizens/weiss beers, that yeast profile just isn't doing it for me lol
You’re not alone, try as I may, Belgians simply don’t appeal to me.

Okay, I am going back some decades in time. One of my first brews was a try at an English Ale. I used amber malt extract and fuggles. I really liked it.

Drawing from everyone's suggestions here (thanks again!), I've put together a theoretical Short boil IPA...do you think it will work?

I'm steeping the grains with acidulated malt to keep the steeping pH in appropriate range. Once the steep is complete, add FWH and bring to boil. Add "bittering" hops and begin the 15 minute boil. It should isomerize quite a few IBUs due to the low gravity of the wort (preboil gravity is 1.003). Add LME and Irish Moss at 10 min, add aroma hops at 0 min, and do a 20 min hopstand at flameout.

Chill/top off to get to ~100F with 2.5 gal in the fermenter, pitch half a pack of Voss Kveik, and add dry hops when the krausen is almost dropped out. Let it ride 3-5 more days, check for FG. I'm curious what y'all think!

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1167423/short-boil-ipa

Drawing from everyone's suggestions here (thanks again!), I've put together a theoretical Short boil IPA...do you think it will work?

I'm steeping the grains with acidulated malt to keep the steeping pH in appropriate range. Once the steep is complete, add FWH and bring to boil. Add "bittering" hops and begin the 15 minute boil. It should isomerize quite a few IBUs due to the low gravity of the wort (preboil gravity is 1.003). Add LME and Irish Moss at 10 min, add aroma hops at 0 min, and do a 20 min hopstand at flameout.

Chill/top off to get to ~100F with 2.5 gal in the fermenter, pitch half a pack of Voss Kveik, and add dry hops when the krausen is almost dropped out. Let it ride 3-5 more days, check for FG. I'm curious what y'all think!

Go for Gold Sunfire looks like a solid beer to me.

Looks good to me. Good luck.

Had a chance to brew the Short Boil IPA today, pitched the yeast about 4 hours ago and she's chugging along quite nicely :) my biggest concern is only boiling 10 minutes after the LME was added, so a "true" hot break was maybe not reached. There was plenty of precipitate in the bottom of the boil kettle after transfer, and I did add the Irish moss, so I think it'll be alright. My guess is this will impact the final clarity of the beer, so I won't know for a while. I'm very curious how this batch turns out, fingers crossed!

5 hours after pitch :D
20210715_210806.jpg

Here it is in the glass. Probably needs more carbonation time and little more tender care while bottling, but I'm pretty pleased with it considering it was fermented and bottled in a shed full of lawn equipment :)
View attachment 16942
Looks like a real nice brew you have there!

Looks like a real nice brew you have there!
Every family member that tried it enjoyed it :) I don't need to run away to Ontario yet, but maybe after the next one lol

I, of course, found multiple flaws for things that I wish I had done differently, but c'est la vie :) onto the next brew to try to improve

Back