Adjuncts for IPA

I always thought that carapils was a type of dextrin malt. Like a square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not a square

Craig, Is there anything against using Dextrine instead of the Carapils? I believe them to be interchangeable but I have never used either - but I do have a bag of Dextrine.
They're not exactly the same but both will work.

Craig, Is there anything against using Dextrine instead of the Carapils? I believe them to be interchangeable but I have never used either - but I do have a bag of Dextrine.
Answers provided by others sir, Carapils, Carafoam, Dextrine, I believe that they basically accomplish the same thing.

Got the flaked wheat/cane sugar version brewed today. I don't expect the color of this one to be stellar, and I have a tough time getting US05 to floccuate sometimes (no ferm temp control or cold crash capabilities).

I upped the Simcoe addition to 11g and it smelled amazing during flameout. Fingers crossed
View attachment 15482 View attachment 15483
Cool, let us know how it turns out!

I am not opposed to using both:rolleyes:
I have a batch on the burner so to speak comming up that has Carapils in it it also uses wheat malt as part of the grist I'll probably just use wheat In it's place.
AKA Harrybrew69's Vacant gesture I'll post link when it's time to brew it:)

For comparison this is what I've gleaned from his percentages and hops/lt on his 500lt batch size.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1143820/harrys-gesture

Ah thanks for sharing Al I had 1.036 As my FinalGravity I've adjusted now.
Bought a sack of Golden promise recently so that's my base.
I'll drop the carapils for more wheat.
Also will probably use framgarden kviek not S05.

Last edited:
Brew #2 is in the fermenter! Pale malt, carahell, and carapils, same hop schedule as before, but with Northern Brewer at 20 mins instead of Chinook. I'm excited for this tasting experiment in a few weeks :D
20210505_131939.jpg

Batch #1 is ready for drinking and batch #2 was just bottled. I'll need to set aside some batch 1 bottles so that I can compare the two side by side, otherwise I'll just drink the whole first batch lol which would be counterproductive to my experiment goal :D initial tasting notes in the "What are you drinking?" thread
20210515_132604.jpg

Time for the side by side! Left is the sugar/wheat recipe and the right is the carahell/carapils recipe. Had some priming issues with the 2nd batch and the 1st batch was conditioning for much longer, so unfortunately I won't be able to report on head formation/retention or clarity between the recipes.

They smell and taste nearly identical. The carahell/carapils batch has a little more sweet fruit/melon aroma, but both are very tropical and piney in the nose. I was expecting more bitterness from the hop stand addition that didn't come through, so they are more like a pale ale than IPA, but very drinkable. I wish they were both drier, so next time I will add some more gypsum, increase the sugar percentage in the grain bill, and mash a couple degrees colder. And definitely up the bittering hops, or maybe add a 30 min addition for better flavor. And it would've been much better with a dry hop addition.

But I'm pretty pleased for my first original IPA recipe. I'm working on an IPA recipe for my sister now who is inheriting all of my grains and hops and I'm definitely going to use the knowledge I've gained in this little experiment :) man, I love homebrewing!
20210523_145415.jpg

The wheat beer looks more carbonated and lighter in colour. What was the aim of the exbeeriment finding which gives better head retention?
They both look great to me but id reach for the beer on the left if it were me:)

The experiment was which grain bill makes a better IPA. I had some priming issues with the 2nd batch, so I can't really compare head formation and mouthful between the two.

The experiment was which grain bill makes a better IPA. I had some priming issues with the 2nd batch, so I can't really compare head formation and mouthful between the two.
Ah I think that's a bit of a how long is a piece of string type scenarios but I rekon Wayner-s is a great example if you nocked the IBU up with a boil addition like you were thinking.

Back