Home made pizza

I gotta admit...
When I came this part of the world, there was this strange thing on the menu: steak, egg and chips ;)
I actually really started to like this egg on top of my steak thing.
What I did struggle with was: would you like chips OR veges/salad with your steak?
Got the hang of that eventually: half chips and half salad please ;)

In the past year, I have gotten used to making this pasta dish called carbonara, in which hot pasta is used to cook the egg, at the same time making a thick pasta sauce out of whatever else you care to craft your sauce. Don’t forget the value of flavoring and thickening your sauce by adding a few scoops of “spent” pasta water.

I won't call this Chicago style just in case there are any purists here. Deep dish, super saucy, hang over style pizza!
PXL_20210228_214143644.jpg
PXL_20210228_214314930.jpg

What's everyone's go to mozzarella? Bonus points if you know it's available in the chicagoland area.

No mozzarella for me.
The stuff we can get here looks like plastic. Won't eat it.
I use cream cheese, or cheddar (old) or Gouda/Maaslander/Whatever (old), or a combination

Aldi's Mozz is sufficient. But go to your good pizza place and, when you buy a lump of dough, ask for a wad of cheese too.

No mozzarella for me.
The stuff we can get here looks like plastic. Won't eat it.
I use cream cheese, or cheddar (old) or Gouda/Maaslander/Whatever (old), or a combination
Spoken by a true Dutch lady.
As you know my Wife is half Dutch I sware she could live on just cheese alone

Mozzarella is pretty easy to make... If you can get your hands on some buffalo milk, even better!
I've been wanting to try it at some point, it does seem pretty straight forward.

Are you able to make it with standard whole milk from the store, I've seen some comments that pasteurized milk doesn't work as well.

Next on my to-try list is frigo whole milk low moisture, and belgioioso whole milk fresh.

Last edited:

Back