Community recipe?

The Shady Bohemian ran dry yesterday, for a beer I wasn't sure if I liked it sure went quick. Now to wait for the judges to tell me if it was any good or not. ;)

Well I got my Shady Bo judging results back... now keep in mind they said my Berliner Weisse didn't belong in the sour category so take the review for what it's worth.

It got 30/50 total with the following comments.

"This is a well made beer and looks great. I would favour some additional malt complexity. The esters are evident and slightly overtake the malt. Also detected some light smokiness which could indicate fermentation issues. Also it is slightly sweet in the finish meaning might not be fully attenuated."

"This beer has the potential to be really good but the flavors seem a little muddled. There seems to be a slight phenolic smokiness and it seems like it is a little under attenuated maybe. These are normally signs of stressed yeast, make sure that you are using a pitch rate calculator to confirm that you have enough yeast cells. Sometimes wild yeast can also contribute those flavours so make sure that you sanitization practices are sound."

I haven't looked at the score or comments on mine.

Well I got my Shady Bo judging results back... now keep in mind they said my Berliner Weisse didn't belong in the sour category so take the review for what it's worth.

It got 30/50 total with the following comments.

"This is a well made beer and looks great. I would favour some additional malt complexity. The esters are evident and slightly overtake the malt. Also detected some light smokiness which could indicate fermentation issues. Also it is slightly sweet in the finish meaning might not be fully attenuated."

"This beer has the potential to be really good but the flavors seem a little muddled. There seems to be a slight phenolic smokiness and it seems like it is a little under attenuated maybe. These are normally signs of stressed yeast, make sure that you are using a pitch rate calculator to confirm that you have enough yeast cells. Sometimes wild yeast can also contribute those flavours so make sure that you sanitization practices are sound."
Judges should comment on what they find and not on how to "fix" your beer. They have no idea how the beer was brewed, equipment used, the skill and experience of the brewer or the ingredients. To "fix" a beer requires more than just a taste, it requires an overview of the recipe, equipment, process and the brewer's skill level. What they find in flavor, aroma, mouth feel, appearance, etc. can have many sources. Sometimes the judges' suggestion may prove to send a brewer off in the wrong direction, especially inexperienced brewers.

That being said, being a judge requires a lot of time and commitment, so I hesitate to bad mouth them, they serve an important role. The feedback is welcomed, even if it is not perfect. But once in while you run across a judge that make some silly comments. The worse I ever got was they "got astringency on the nose". I'm not sure how you can get a mouth feel on an aroma, still trying to figure that out.

Yeah it's one of those things where I have no real useful information out of those comments. There was a lot of dark roast in there, are they interpreting dark roast flavour as smoky? Cause I drank the rest of the keg and didn't notice any "smokiness".

I don't mind if the judges make recommendations. Actually would prefer it. A comment on the first beer I sent into a competition was that it needed more complexity. What the heck does that mean? Maybe I'm too simple a person to make complex beer! Do I just throw different malts in? Additional hops? What? C'mon give me a clue!

It's almost impossible to get bubbles from leaky O rings on the gas in posts. You just can't get soapy water or Starsan to climb up the post. Over the years, I've learned to replace them first if I'm losing CO2.

Gongrats, that's a load of worry gone happy.
I spent a small fortune shipping 6 bottles across the country, packed to survive a 20-foot drop onto concrete.
Mine is just across town, surely they can get it the last 20 miles today.

I do apologize in advance to the folks who are going to have to extract said bottles from said packaging.

I thought it would be better to address the selecting of "The Brewer of the Quarter" in this thread, rather than litter up the Q2 thread with this. I see a couple of references to how we go about this earlier in this thread, but would like to suggest that past Q Brewers be left out of name drawing until everyone interested in putting a recipe forward has had that opportunity. I don't recall how many of us there are, but I think it is probably more than 10, but maybe less than 20. With selecting 4 Brewers in a year, it will take a few years for everyone to have had the opportunity. I personally wouldn't feel right being a two time Q brewer, while others were still awaiting their turn to share their favorite creations.

These are just my thoughts, and I am just part of the group. I would obviously defer to a majority decision.

Does anyone else have any other ideas, or input on this?

Hell I’m good with that, just as long as we still have people that want to contribute. If we start having a hard time getting recipes submitted, then we put some names back in. By all means, would be better to have everyone interested getting a crack at it before we start repeating.

I think you put Blackmuse back in, there is no penalty for having been tied up with other things when his name was called before.

Just cracked open the, now carbonated, Shady Bohemian. Wow a cracker indeed @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews I like this a lot. I may just have to brew it again. I don't have a picture of it as the glass is now empty...
Time for a second bottle I think.. hic

upload_2021-6-6_21-19-42.png

I don't know the Lovibond rating of either off the top of my head but they should be similar enough. I'm using Patagonia's Perla Negra for the wheat - I just like that malt for dark beers.
@Craigerrr , @Nosybear

Just came across this question while posting about Shady Bohemian...

Too late to be of use maybe? From Malt Miller site

Description
EBC 1150
Weyermann Chocolate Wheat malt, roasted wheat which can intensify aromas and improve the colour of dark beers.
====================================================================
Description
Midnight Wheat functions as a 1:1 replacement to debittered black malt, but with smoother flavour. That’s because debittered black malts are made by removing a great deal of the husk (but not all of it). Since it’s the husk that develops bitter notes during roasting, debittered black malts will contribute a certain amount of bitter, astringent or dry flavours or after taste to beer. Excellent in Black IPAs, Schwarzbiers, other dark ales and lagers.
EBC 1000

@Craigerrr , @Nosybear

Just came across this question while posting about Shady Bohemian...

Too late to be of use maybe? From Malt Miller site

Description
EBC 1150
Weyermann Chocolate Wheat malt, roasted wheat which can intensify aromas and improve the colour of dark beers.
====================================================================
Description
Midnight Wheat functions as a 1:1 replacement to debittered black malt, but with smoother flavour. That’s because debittered black malts are made by removing a great deal of the husk (but not all of it). Since it’s the husk that develops bitter notes during roasting, debittered black malts will contribute a certain amount of bitter, astringent or dry flavours or after taste to beer. Excellent in Black IPAs, Schwarzbiers, other dark ales and lagers.
EBC 1000
Perla Negra is very similar and I had it on hand.

Back