Community recipe?

A couple of notes on the dark lager. More to come when we get to tasting. I tried a few new things that I hope work out in the future if not right away.
I did a full volume mash (BIAB), but withheld the dark grains until just 10 minutes to go in the mash. I'm looking for good color contribution with rich flavor but not overly roasty flavor. We'll see. For a three gallon batch it was only about 7 ounces total of midnight wheat and blackprinz combined.
I was looking for pre boil gravity (post mash) of 1037 and got 1035. Good enough. Likewise, I wanted 1045 OG and came out with 1044.
I have a new chiller (the Kegland counterflow chiller) and I had to play with it a bit to keep a slow flow of iced water in the jacket with a trickle of cooled wort into the fermenter. My temp fluctuated a bit as I adjusted things, but ultimately went from 185 (F) after a whirlpool to 80 (F) in one pass. This took about 10 minutes.
This is my first time fermenting under pressure in a corny keg. I will ferment in a 5 gallon keg and the transfer to a 3 gallon keg for serving. It was still too warm for lager yeast at 80(f) but it was a cool night on the back porch (36 degrees this morning) so I am hoping the wort will be in the 45 to 50 degree range. Need to check when the sun gives me a bit more light.
I forgot the whirlfloc, but who cares about clarity in a dark lager? Not me.

Kinda what I figured. Either don't do it or buy pressure rated fermenter.
The biggest advantage I see of using a pressure fermentor is the positive pressure keeps air out. Of course, the beer is being scrubbed of gas by the CO2 while fermenting so that seems to be a minimal benefit during active fermentation. Also, you ferment under 15 psi, your pressure at the bottom of the fermentor is equivalent to the pressure at the bottom of a 32 foot tall unpressurized fermentor. That may change yeast performance. But the statement is true: Don't try to pressure-ferment in a vessel that is not rated for it.

As far as the next recipe, it seems we're moving in two different possible directions. Some, like @Trialben, want brewers to put up their favorite/flagship recipe for us all to try, and others want to collaboratively agree on a style, and then let individuals find/make recipes from there.

I like both directions, honestly. I think Shady Bohemian was a huge success thanks to @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews :D If anyone, whether Ben tagged you or not, wants to suggest their favorite/flagship homebrew recipe, please do :) but maybe in the meantime, those of us ready for a new recipe idea can work on the suggested style.

Speaking of which, I'm down for a kolsch. I already have some Lalbrew Koln I'm excited to try. Thank you for the recipe backbone @Nosybear, that's super helpful :) Would it be too blasphemous to use Saaz in a German lager recipe?

As far as the next recipe, it seems we're moving in two different possible directions. Some, like @Trialben, want brewers to put up their favorite/flagship recipe for us all to try, and others want to collaboratively agree on a style, and then let individuals find/make recipes from there.

I like both directions, honestly. I think Shady Bohemian was a huge success thanks to @Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews :D If anyone, whether Ben tagged you or not, wants to suggest their favorite/flagship homebrew recipe, please do :) but maybe in the meantime, those of us ready for a new recipe idea can work on the suggested style.

Speaking of which, I'm down for a kolsch. I already have some Lalbrew Koln I'm excited to try. Thank you for the recipe backbone @Nosybear, that's super helpful :) Would it be too blasphemous to use Saaz in a German lager recipe?
Blasphemous? Du machts ein Shertz, oder? It's perfectly fine to sub Saaz for Spalt.

Haha I figured only German noble varieties were acceptable for German beers

How about this for an idea?
For the brewer of the quarter or more frequent we put everyone's names in a hat and draw a name out? whoever is drawn gets to put forward their fav beer recipe they like to brew.

Now I don't mind being the draw person and posting the name for the quarter.
Or I don't know if someone like @Yooper or @Pricelessbrewing could do their computer IT magic and randomly generate one from the forum user pool:rolleyes:?
Maybe this is a big ask?
Complicated I suppose but I don't mind just writing a heap of your user names on a piece of paper putting them in a jar an selecting one every month or more untill there is none left.

I rekon this might be a fun way to do it!

The reason I like the select a brewer type idea is.
It's more personal then weird I know but i want to brew what you like to brew type thing. I rekon this Shady Bohemian has been a perfect example from Bulin you get to find out the kind of beer that he likes to brew and drink.

Being on a forum a brewing Forum at that, it makes perfect sence to brew one another's beers that we have created on this cool beer recipie software. A way for us to connect, share and learn this awesome beer brewing hobby that we all find in common.

What do ya think?

For the brewer of the quarter or more frequent we put everyone's names in a hat and draw a name out? whoever is drawn gets to put forward their fav beer recipe they like to brew.

Or I don't know if someone like @Yooper or @Pricelessbrewing could do their computer IT magic and randomly generate one from the forum user pool:rolleyes:?
Maybe this is a big ask?
Complicated I suppose but I don't mind just writing a heap of your user names on a piece of paper putting them in a jar an selecting one every month or more untill there is none left.

It's more personal then weird I know but i want to brew what you like to brew type thing. I rekon this Shady Bohemian has been a perfect example from Bulin you get to find out the kind of beer that he likes to brew and drink.

Being on a forum a brewing Forum at that, it makes perfect sence to brew one another's beers that we have created on this cool beer recipie software. A way for us to connect, share and learn this awesome beer brewing hobby that we all find in common.

What do ya think?
I envisioned some kind of gladatorial competition to decide who the brewer of the quarter is...

Maybe this is a big ask?

What do ya think?

Great idea Ben! Grab some dice from a board game or just go to any random-number generator on the web to pick a name. Or you could have your daughter pick the name out of the hat. If you can't trust a baby, who can you trust? But be quick, as I'm sure you have discovered, the time between a baby grabbing something and that thing going into the mouth is measured in milliseconds!

Maybe this is a big ask?

What do ya think?
I'd be down for something like that. @Yooper thoughts? We could do a new post in the announcements for anyone interested and move the discussion to the beta testing sub-forum. Once we have a list of interested parties, it's no problem to randomly choose a user, then send them a message to confirm them for the next months post, if not interested we can choose the next user and so on until someone is available and willing.

A couple of thoughts from me. If I may.

1. I would hate to see anyone have their name generated more than once or twice in a 12 month period. It can be (but isn't necessarily) a chore to select a recipe, promote a recipe, and answer questions about it. If all you do is brew, you're gonna be down with that, but many brewers have jobs, kids, women to chase, lawns to mow and farts to analyse.
2. One way to accomplish this is to have folks opt in for every selection day. Another would be to withdraw your ticket for 6 months if you are chosen. I assume to second is easier to do without a whole lot of human interface.
3. Final thought - working on this well in advance would be nice. Case in point, I am just now fermenting the Czech Dark Lager and others have packaged it. Many of you have more planned out schedules than I. If we could know the November beer by early October or even mid September it might help folks procure materials and work with existing schedules.

1. I would hate to see anyone have their name generated more than once or twice in a 12 month period. It can be (but isn't necessarily) a chore to select a recipe, promote a recipe, and answer questions about it. If all you do is brew, you're gonna be down with that, but many brewers have jobs, kids, women to chase, lawns to mow and farts to analyse.
2. One way to accomplish this is to have folks opt in for every selection day. Another would be to withdraw your ticket for 6 months if you are chosen. I assume to second is easier to do without a whole lot of human interface.
3. Final thought - working on this well in advance would be nice. Case in point, I am just now fermenting the Czech Dark Lager and others have packaged it. Many of you have more planned out schedules than I. If we could know the November beer by early October or even mid September it might help folks procure materials and work with existing schedules.
What if we drew 2 names on the first drawing? Then we would have a one to brew and one "on deck". After that we could just draw one and that would give people plenty of time to prepare and schedule for the next brew.

Maybe do a sticky on top titled "Quarterly Community Recipe" and list links to the original recipes along with the quarter they were brewed:

2020-4 Shady Bohemian Czech Dark Lager https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/851263/shady-bohemian
2021-1 ?
2021-2 ?

May want to also include a list of appropriate PPE, I hear @Craigerrr has some dangerous recipes...LOL

Last edited:

Anyone stepping up to arrange this?

Anyone stepping up to arrange this?
I could write something up. I'll post it here and if it looks ok to everyone, we could start a new thread and see about pinning it to the top. If we go forward with this, who would like to set up the quarterly zoom meetings? I'm clueless about video conferencing.

Welcome to the Brewers Friend quarterly Community Recipe list!! A chance to brew favorite recipes from fellow members and enjoy new styles of beer.

We will be working with a quarterly schedule, with new recipes added at the beginning of every quarter, quarters being January-March(Q1), April-June(Q2), July-September(Q3) and October-December(Q4). Recipes will be listed in order including recipe name, brewer name, style and link to original featured recipe.

How does a recipe get on the list? Simple either submit a recipe or nominate a brewer. A rolling list will be maintained and brewers will be selected at random, with no one brewer selected more than once in a calendar year. Once chosen the brewer will be notified before the previous quarter to their recipe being featured(i.e. the brewer for Q3 will be notified before the beginning of Q2).

2020:Q4 Shady Bohemian, Bulins Milker Bucket Brews, Czech Dark Lager, https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/851263/shady-bohemian

2021:Q1?

Well that's a start, does anybody have any ideas as to how to flesh this out.

Just a suggestion, since 2021:Q1 is only a few days away and @Trialben suggested the quarterly format and favorite brews. I'm hoping he steps up with the next brew...

Last edited:

Back