Community recipe?

Gracias, going to take a look now.

Edit: What the hell is Kazbek hops?

Ben your recipe sizing matches mine so I think I will steal yours first. ;)

Uh.. Ben, what is this?
upload_2020-12-29_16-10-26.png

edit: Looks like medium crystal according to google, so how does this track with everyone elses?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1096305/shady-bulins-bohemian

Edit 2: So I'm out of Munich, but I'm going to sneak in Vienna instead. Don't tell anyone.

Last edited:
Gracias, going to take a look now.

Edit: What the hell is Kazbek hops?

Ben your recipe sizing matches mine so I think I will steal yours first. ;)
Kazbek is a Czech hop bred from Saaz. Yakima Valley Hops still had some last time I checked, otherwise just match the ibus with Saaz(Sterling would also work in a pinch).

Uh.. Ben, what is this?
View attachment 13425

edit: Looks like medium crystal according to google, so how does this track with everyone elses?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1096305/shady-bulins-bohemian

Edit 2: So I'm out of Munich, but I'm going to sneak in Vienna instead. Don't tell anyone.
Your on the money ordered some when shopping for that recipie and couldn't resist the descriptors were a mix between Munich Melanoidin type malt that'll do;).

On a side note I used Hallertau for my late addition since I didn’t have saaz. Today I found probably a half ounce of saaz which for my batch size would have been perfect

I have following on standby for the soon to be brewed ShdyBo. Need to do a starter tomorrow, and then build that up a bit more again. I got this yeast almost for free because it is getting near it's best before. Keen to use Sazz as I haven't ever! First ever "lager" , looking forward to it!

The house is roughly 19C, and I can set the garage to whatever I like, 4C, 11C, 15C...
What is the optimum temperature to do a starter with this "Czech Lager" yeast? Optimum temperature is 9-13C, I could do that easily in the garage, or will it build up quicker in the house?

Everything I’ve read says starters for lager yeast should be the same as an ale around 70

I have following on standby for the soon to be brewed ShdyBo. Need to do a starter tomorrow, and then build that up a bit more again. I got this yeast almost for free because it is getting near it's best before. Keen to use Sazz as I haven't ever! First ever "lager" , looking forward to it!
You can't go wrong with Sazz Craig fav nobel hop here.

Everything I’ve read says starters for lager yeast should be the same as an ale around 70
You just want cell reproduction with starter I let them rip nice n warm your just building up cell count flavour doesn't matter at this point.

I have a mason jar with a half liter of 34/70 slurry that is going to go straight into the fermenter. Collecting water today so I should be able to brew tomorrow.

Czech Dark Lager into a 3G keg today. I used S-23 and fermented under pressure in a 5G corny keg. So there was a bit of CO2 in the beer and that made for some foam at the top of the hydrometer test jar. Hard to get an exact reading but close enough to 1010 that I'm calling it 1010. The taste from the test jar was great. Some folks speak ill of S-23, but I found it to perform well over 11 days and be very neutral in taste. A slight sweetness in the aftertaste, but I'm a malty beer fan and you get that malt sweetness with a neutral yeast. I expect it to be properly carbed in 4 days or so.

Does it look infected?

Attachments

• 20210102_094202.jpg
    20210102_094202.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 76
My lower back has kept me from doing much of anything the last few days, but planning to finally get this Shady Bo in the kettle tomorrow!

No real strength in my back like I used to did. Partly why I went to mostly 3 gallon batches.

Word on the street is that The Clash wanted to rock the Kazbek hops in a song but couldn't spell it.

Back