Q1 2021 Community Recipe by HighVoltageMan!

Hey @HighVoltageMan!, I was pulling samples from the fermenter tonight for a couple friends and they asked for seconds :) flat, room temp Wayner's Pale Ale is what the people want! One of them said she would take it as is, and didn't need to wait for the conditioning/carbonating/chilling lol pretty rave review!!!

Hey @HighVoltageMan!, I was pulling samples from the fermenter tonight for a couple friends and they asked for seconds :) flat, room temp Wayner's Pale Ale is what the people want! One of them said she would take it as is, and didn't need to wait for the conditioning/carbonating/chilling lol pretty rave review!!!
That's awesome! I'm glad it turned out. I was little afraid of sharing the recipe, it's a little weird and over the top in the way of hops. But when I share it with people, they often ask if they can buy a case from me. I politely say "it's against the law". That way I can say no and hide behind the BATF.

For those outside the US, the BATF is the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. It's a strange combination.

That's awesome! I'm glad it turned out. I was little afraid of sharing the recipe, it's a little weird and over the top in the way of hops. But when I share it with people, they often ask if they can buy a case from me. I politely say "it's against the law". That way I can say no and hide behind the BATF.

For those outside the US, the BATF is the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. It's a strange combination.
All the major food groups in one place!

Hi folks, as a new brewer I’m trying to get in on the the fun and brew the Wayners Pale Ale this weekend. As I don’t have a whirlpooler set up in my simple kettle as listed in Highvoltageman’s recipe I changed to very late hop boil additions to match the ibu? Thoughts?

As an alternate could I partially chill the wort to hit the whirlpool temp listed in the recipe and physically stir for the 20 mins?

Below is my scaled adaption where I tried my best to hit the %’s, ibu’s and abv target.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/1116597

Last edited:
I asked about whirlpool and was told simply putting in after it cools somewhat. I did that

Ok cool, I was under the (perhaps wrong) assumption that hops added post boil add little to no ibu’s?

Gave me 55 in the software and I added all of mine post boil. I copied and scaled the original recipe.

Ok cool, I was under the (perhaps wrong) assumption that hops added post boil add little to no ibu’s?
Added all mine at around 80c there is plenty off bitterness to ballance the malt from that large whirlpool addition.
Just chill it down to around 80 before you add the hops to limit the IBUs.

I think the reason my calculator shows no ibu’s for a whirlpool addition is perhaps that my hop utilization is set to zero?

thanks for the responses!

Stir with sterilized spoon for 10+ minutes. This will give you 10 minutes to ponder the value of adding a pump to your shiny new kettle, and fermenter!

That's technically true but the late hops add bitterness. IBUs are specifically mg iso-alpha acid per liter. Whirlpool hops are too cool to isomerize well so you get bitterness, apparent IBUs, with no real IBUs.

...IBUs are specifically mg iso-alpha acid per liter...
Has the reality that none of the tests for IBUs actually test for this, but for substances that hit a specific spectrum on the standard testing approaches ever changed that definition? Or is this pondering the things that don't really matter? :confused:

1.4 grams to 3 gallons of water. When I scaled the original recipe that’s what it had but that seems like a lot

Well it depends on your starting point. I use bottled spring water and have to add 4gm / 5gal (19lt) batch. You may be OK there.

That's technically true but the late hops add bitterness. IBUs are specifically mg iso-alpha acid per liter. Whirlpool hops are too cool to isomerize well so you get bitterness, apparent IBUs, with no real IBUs.
Has the reality that none of the tests for IBUs actually test for this, but for substances that hit a specific spectrum on the standard testing approaches ever changed that definition? Or is this pondering the things that don't really matter? :confused:
This whole idea that bitterness can be measured with a spectrophotometer is being called into question. The idea that bitterness can only come from isomerized alpha acids is pretty much gone. There are many compounds in hops that come off as bitter, tannins being one of them. I just had a beer this weekend at a local brewery, the brewer estimated the bitterness to be @30 IBU's. He was frustrated because it tasted like 50-60. The hop was Zappa and it was so resiny and dank that it came across as very bitter, but the AA% of the hops was only 3%. It should have never been that bitter with alpha acids that low.

The calculators are very valuable to use to dial in bitterness, but they are only a start. Yeast, pH, gravity, isomerized alpha acids, the person's palate and the hop variety itself all contribute to overall bitterness. It doesn't help the confusion surrounding all this that flameout additions are calculated as 0 IBU's.

The palate perception is the ultimate goal, science helps us get there, but fails to define it completely.

Hi folks, as a new brewer I’m trying to get in on the the fun and brew the Wayners Pale Ale this weekend. As I don’t have a whirlpooler set up in my simple kettle as listed in Highvoltageman’s recipe I changed to very late hope additions to match the ibu? Thoughts?

As an alternate could I partially chill the wort to hit the whirlpool temp listed in the recipe and physically stir for the 20 mins?

Below is my scaled adaption where I tried my best to hit the %’s, ibu’s and abv target.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/1116597
Cooling the wort down to 76C or lower will preserve the hop flavor and some of the aroma. The bitterness will be more rounded and soft, so you can actually bump up your hop additions a little to 55 IBU's or so. Dry hopping can be bumped up a bit too.

If you leave it as is, it will still be good beer. This recipe is intended to bring out as much flavor and aroma without the harsh bitterness. People who taste the beer first and then see the recipe are often surprised by the whirlpool only hop additions. Theoretically, there shouldn't be very much bittering.

There is another X factor and that is water profile, don't think that I saw it mentioned here. Sulfate to chloride ratio will enhance, or mute hop bitterness.
At the end if the day the biggest X factor of all is the subjectivity of the palette. Much like with spicy foods, some like it hot, but others can't tolerate it.

Back