Q1 2021 Community Recipe by HighVoltageMan!

And the dry hop can affect the pH as well, prompting some people to adjust it prior to packaging. Interesting article here on pH levels and dry hopping and some other factors - http://scottjanish.com/a-look-at-ph-in-hoppy-beers/.

As well as the science in the article above, the author did some subjective taste trials, dosing finished beer with lactic acid. He preferred a higher pH for low ABV hoppy beers and a lower pH for high ABV hoppy beers. Probably something to play around with at packaging, or after packaging, so you can adjust the next batch.

And the dry hop can affect the pH as well, prompting some people to adjust it prior to packaging. Interesting article here on pH levels and dry hopping and some other factors - http://scottjanish.com/a-look-at-ph-in-hoppy-beers/.

As well as the science in the article above, the author did some subjective taste trials, dosing finished beer with lactic acid. He preferred a higher pH for low ABV hoppy beers and a lower pH for high ABV hoppy beers. Probably something to play around with at packaging, or after packaging, so you can adjust the next batch.
Matches what I've found when I do tastings with brewing salts... Lowering the pH makes light beers "pop" while raising the pH makes dark beers smoother - a generalization if I've ever heard one! But a good rule to follow if you're starting to dose beers with salts or acids. Also, the same holds for hoppy beers: A higher pH is less harsh.

Just crunching some numbers tweaking water requirements for brew session am I reading this right 10lt hop Absorption WTF:eek:
Screenshot_20210114-165849_Samsung Internet.jpg

My usuall total water needed for let's say pilsner is around 26-7lt for standard hoppy beers around 30lt but 40 I've got my doubts....o_O

Oh scrap that glad I double checked my equipment profile I must of imputed wrong field all is well now 2lt hop Absorption compared to 10 few I can live with that. And yup expected total water 30.5 erring on side of caution .

Also going to correct mash o
Ph to 5.4 with a little phosphoric sorry high voltage man we brewers are creatures of comfort. Heck maybe I'll change my mind and add to the boil on brew day ...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I can confirm hop absorption was higher than usual, but probably normal considering nearly a pound of hops was in there.

Brew day went well, hit my strike temp dead on, and held it within a couple of degrees, stepped up to 162 and sparged with 170 water. Acidified with 10% phosphoric acid (just used 8.8 times as much) to good effect. Below is my boil. At flame out (well, 'switch off") I lowered the temperature a bit to maybe 180, added the hops (in bags) and continued to cool it using the chiller to 170, and let it sit 20 minutes. Decanted just under 21 quarts to the fermenter, pitched at 74 F (went in at 92 F, counterflow chiller was off its game a bit, I think I know why) and today it is happily bubbling away at 67 F.

Hit my OG perfectly at 1.058, could've easily fit more grain in there but that made stirring the mash really easy. In a BZ35 I used the malt pipe but not the false bottom, and recirculated at almost full speed the whole time. As usual (for me) the temp controller was set at 158 to hold 150.

You can watch progress here:

Attachments

• IMG_1045.JPG
    IMG_1045.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 81
I can confirm hop absorption was higher than usual, but probably normal considering nearly a pound of hops was in there.

Brew day went well, hit my strike temp dead on, and held it within a couple of degrees, stepped up to 162 and sparged with 170 water. Acidified with 10% phosphoric acid (just used 8.8 times as much) to good effect. Below is my boil. At flame out (well, 'switch off") I lowered the temperature a bit to maybe 180, added the hops (in bags) and continued to cool it using the chiller to 170, and let it sit 20 minutes. Decanted just under 21 quarts to the fermenter, pitched at 74 F (went in at 92 F, counterflow chiller was off its game a bit, I think I know why) and today it is happily bubbling away at 67 F.

Hit my OG perfectly at 1.058, could've easily fit more grain in there but that made stirring the mash really easy. In a BZ35 I used the malt pipe but not the false bottom, and recirculated at almost full speed the whole time. As usual (for me) the temp controller was set at 158 to hold 150.

You can watch progress here:
I’ll be brewing tomorrow night, it may end up in a competition. How did the whirlpool smell?

How did the whirlpool smell?
Hoppy for sure, and a nice malt odor. Nothing objectionable.

It was not really remarkable though, and so I didn't pay much attention to it.
It was cold yesterday in Atlanta, I brewed with the garage door open, and used a fan to push boil steam out the door. Along with any possible odors. And my nose was cold too.

Need to free up a fermenter so I can get this brew going this weekend!
I mentioned earlier that I might move some hops around, but have decided not to mess with this tried and true beauty!
A pound of hops in a 5 gallon batch, right up my alley!

I am getting low on Mosaic and can't get it right now, so I will use what I have in the hopstand, top that up with some Sabro, and sub Sabro in for the dry addition as well. Haven't used Sabro yet, but I have heard good things.

I am getting low on Mosaic and can't get it right now, so I will use what I have in the hopstand, top that up with some Sabro, and sub Sabro in for the dry addition as well. Haven't used Sabro yet, but I have heard good things.
I’ve used Sabro hops, they’re good.

Not to be that guy but I know Gash slug and online brew Vlogger i follow ain't a fan of the Sabro Bro... rekons he can pick it out most beers it's in can't get past the coconut or something.
Just because he don't like it doesn't mean you or anyone else don't though. Just putting it out there
I've not tried it

Not to be that guy but I know Gash slug and online brew Vlogger i follow ain't a fan of the Sabro Bro... rekons he can pick it out most beers it's in can't get past the coconut or something.
Just because he don't like it doesn't mean you or anyone else don't though. Just putting it out there
I've not tried it
Sometimes the hops that get blended clash or sometimes the hop by itself isn't as good as blend. You just never know. I know I have had hops that were good one year, the next they weren't as good. Maybe it really wasn't as good as I thought or the hops were seconds/rejects or something like that. Homebrewers get the left overs from the pros.

I've not tried it
I think it's easily recognised. It works in most beers for me and spoils a few. The wife hates it.

@HighVoltageMan! Would you prefer us to copy the recipe, rather than having a bunch of snapshots hanging off your original recipe?

Edit: just tried the snapshot. I can't see the recipe in my folders, so I think it's in yours. I'll just copy it and hopefully be able to delete it from yours.

Edit 2: sorry can't delete it. I've copied it, so feel free to delete it from your folders. It'll be the smaller BIAB version.

@Sunfire96 can you add a note next to the recipe link at the top asking people to copy the recipe and not create a snapshot? Then I can be the only idiot polluting HighVoltageMan's recipe folders.
Wait, can you please confirm? You made a snapshot in your account, and it's in @highvoltage mans account?

@Sunfire96 @HighVoltageMan!

I may have missed this, but can you list the "rules" / description for this fun little project?

A brewer of the quarter is chosen randomly by your lovely assistant, and they choose a recipe they like, and we all brew it. Preferably sharing feedback/comments on the forum and in our monthly zoom meetings? What's time window for brewing, and when is the next user going to be chosen, may?

I may have missed this, but can you list the "rules" / description for this fun little project?

A brewer of the quarter is chosen randomly by your lovely assistant, and they choose a recipe they like, and we all brew it. Preferably sharing feedback/comments on the forum and in our monthly zoom meetings? What's time window for brewing, and when is the next user going to be chosen, may?

We hashed this out in the other Community Recipe thread. I typed a summery.

Welcome to the Brewers Friend quarterly Community Recipe list!! A chance to brew favorite recipes from fellow members and enjoy new styles of beer.

We will be working with a quarterly schedule, with new recipes added at the beginning of every quarter, quarters being January-March(Q1), April-June(Q2), July-September(Q3) and October-December(Q4). Recipes will be listed in order including recipe name, brewer name, style and link to original featured recipe.

How does a recipe get on the list? Simple either submit a recipe or nominate a brewer. A rolling list will be maintained and brewers will be selected at random, with no one brewer selected more than once in a calendar year. Once chosen the brewer will be notified before the previous quarter to their recipe being featured(i.e. the brewer for Q3 will be notified before the beginning of Q2).

2020:Q4 Shady Bohemian, Bulins Milker Bucket Brews, Czech Dark Lager, https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/851263/shady-bohemian

2021:Q1?

Well that's a start, does anybody have any ideas as to how to flesh this out.

Just a suggestion, since 2021:Q1 is only a few days away and @Trialben suggested the quarterly format and favorite brews. I'm hoping he steps up with the next brew...

@Trialben took care of the drawing for this one.

Yep, Bulin's got it on the head. Sorry we ended up scattered over multiple threads. My hope was having a dedicated thread for each topic would help clarify, but I'm not sure it actually helped :D

Last edited:

Back