Q1 2021 Community Recipe by HighVoltageMan!

I think it's easily recognised. It works in most beers for me and spoils a few. The wife hates it.
Wowie well will have to get a taste of some of these someday probably in a blond style wheat beer just wondering about that coconut thing or a bold roasty porter.

@Sunfire96 @HighVoltageMan!

I may have missed this, but can you list the "rules" / description for this fun little project?

A brewer of the quarter is chosen randomly by your lovely assistant, and they choose a recipe they like, and we all brew it. Preferably sharing feedback/comments on the forum and in our monthly zoom meetings? What's time window for brewing, and when is the next user going to be chosen, may?
Quarterly allows plenty of time for everyone to ask questions of recipe gather ingredients brew the beer and ultimately then enjoy the beer and share what they loved maybe even disliked maybe about the beer.

The next quarter rolls round in March so this is when the next brewer of the quarter gets drawn and so on.
Oh people who have had their name drawn remain out of the draw.
This way everyone gets a go.

Its Nothing to serious just a fun way to share favourite recipies and brew beers maybe that you havnt brewed before. Also get feedback on your recipie in a friendly environment outside of the scrutiny of the BJCP standards.
Also tests out your brewing skills.
For me personally I'm sure it will get me brewing beers outside of my normal go to beers you know the ones your comfortable brewing.
Hell imagine someone recommends a kettle sour beer :rolleyes::D.

What’s neat is for me this is my 2nd community brew ( I missed the nautical star) I had not brewed a Czech dark and I’ve never done all late Addition hops or even dry hopped. Excited to do this one. Just placed order for mosaic hops I needed for it. Also grabbed some extra s04.

I have a question for more experienced brewers regarding "companion hops." It may be a while before I place an order for supplies and I have no Citra on hand. I do have Mosaic. The typical bittering charge that I have include Magnum, Columbus, Chinook and Simcoe. How might these mesh with Mosaic in your opinion? I did a MagMo golden ale once that was well received. I think I did it more for the name than anything. I also have a supply of anytime hops such as Centennial, Cascade, Summit. Which one might you pair with Mosaic for this recipe?

Last edited:
The list I have of substitutes show the following:
Though not sure it helps much - there are no equivalents - at least not from this source. Other sources are available...

upload_2021-1-15_12-38-16.png

upload_2021-1-15_12-40-25.png

upload_2021-1-15_12-42-58.png

I had forgotten my Kiwi hops. Those might pair well .. Nelson, Motueka and Waikatu

I also note that marketing build up for Citra says nothing about cat pre ??? Vat da hell, Mon ? Motueka, Centennial and Amarillo all listed as possible subs. All I have.

I have a question for more experienced brewers regarding "companion hops." It my be a while before I place an order for supplies and I have no Citra on hand. I do have Mosaic. The typical bittering charge that I have include Magnum, Columbus, Chinook and Simcoe. How might these mesh with Mosaic in your opinion? I did a MagMo golden ale once that was well received. I think I did it more for the name than anything. I also have a supply of anytime hops such as Centennial, Cascade, Summit. Which one might you pair with Mosaic for this recipe?
Cascade would work, but you may need to add more than Citra due to lower AA%. I've used Amarillo with Mosaic with good results. Mosaic can have a slight dankness that comes out along with fruitiness. Seems to work well with more citrusy hops. Just remember that if you swap out hops, it's best to run it through the calculator to get the bitterness right. It takes a boat load of high alpha hops to get the bitterness up, when lower AA hops are substituted for higher AA hops, the recipe needs to be modified. You may even need a bittering hop to ad 10-15 IBU's to make up the difference.

My bunyip on that is Amarillo Mosaic Simcoe a very tasty combo.
I'll be brewing it this morning and what a beer to brew For my 100th recorded batch of beer at that!
Got my grain order yesterday it's hard to believe all them hops are going in it!
Will be interesting how the kettle handles all them Whirlpool hops.
I'm excited to get this brew day underway!

My bunyip on that is Amarillo Mosaic Simcoe a very tasty combo.
I'll be brewing it this morning and what a beer to brew For my 100th recorded batch of beer at that!
Got my grain order yesterday it's hard to believe all them hops are going in it!
Will be interesting how the kettle handles all them Whirlpool hops.
I'm excited to get this brew day underway!
Congrats!

Wayners pale ale is in the fermentor!
Everything went to plan 1.058 into fermentor 21.5lt. Whirlpool smelt glorious couldn't help but transfer some hop into fermentor well it'll be a bit of a bio hop now lol.
But gee that's the maltiest wort I've tasted in long time WOW.
I think it's a first for no boil hop addition for me too.
Waiting for it to cool down and in will go the Verdant to have a boggie with the wort...
20210116_135159.jpg

Last edited:
Wait, can you please confirm? You made a snapshot in your account, and it's in @highvoltage mans account?
I made a snapshot. I went to find the recipe via the my recipes link and couldn't find it, so assumed it was in HighVoltageMan's account. Just double checking now I have the new filter option set to only show recipes. Turned that off and I can confirm it was created in my account. Sorry for the scare.

I have a question for more experienced brewers regarding "companion hops." It may be a while before I place an order for supplies and I have no Citra on hand. I do have Mosaic. The typical bittering charge that I have include Magnum, Columbus, Chinook and Simcoe. How might these mesh with Mosaic in your opinion? I did a MagMo golden ale once that was well received. I think I did it more for the name than anything. I also have a supply of anytime hops such as Centennial, Cascade, Summit. Which one might you pair with Mosaic for this recipe?
I'd pair the Simcoe from what you have. Maybe even a bit of Simcoe somewhere in the boil as it's supposedly one of those hops that leaves flavour in with a boil addition. I've tried Ben's suggestion of Simcoe, Mosaic and Amarillo. Works well for me. And I'd wait for the Citra, it seems to provide the glue in many of these blends to me.

I made a snapshot. I went to find the recipe via the my recipes link and couldn't find it, so assumed it was in HighVoltageMan's account. Just double checking now I have the new filter option set to only show recipes. Turned that off and I can confirm it was created in my account. Sorry for the scare.
Phew!

We're at Day 3 and getting ready to dry hop. The Tilt showed that the FG dropped to 1.019 like a rock and then stayed exactly there. This is very unusual for me - generally the gravity bobs around a bit even when it's good and done. Plus, the FG is a bit higher than expected, by 0.005 points, but I wonder if that's just the Tilt's calibration yet again. (The battery is less than 5 months old, but I keep that open as a possibility). The krausen is gone and all seems otherwise fine.

I had to ferment a bit warmer (68-72F), on the dining room floor, I wonder if that had any effect. I've just added a small heater to keep it at 72 for the diacetyl rest.

When I dry hop I will take a sample for the hydrometer and see what's really going on in there.

EDIT: Measured 1.020, so all is well, just lower attenuation than expected with S 04. Tastes great already!

IMG_1058.PNG

Last edited:
I brewed the beer last night. It was pretty uneventful, but I didn't nail my gravity as well as Ben (that's pretty tight, Ben). It was at 1.061 instead of 1.058. The whirlpool smelled similar to the others I've brewed. Dank orange, stone fruits and fruity citrus. I used WLP007 and it took off in about 8 hours, chugging hard at 16 hours. By the second or third day the basement will smell like a hop bomb went off.

Awesome.

I'm just about to brew it but, because of the crap weather we have at the moment, I am having to rig up an extractor fan and trunking so I can brew in the garage with the door closed - otherwise I'd get soaking wet!
If I get that built tomorrow I will brew first thing Monday. Fingers crossed.

I'm just about to brew it but, because of the crap weather we have at the moment, I am having to rig up an extractor fan and trunking so I can brew in the garage with the door closed - otherwise I'd get soaking wet!
If I get that built tomorrow I will brew first thing Monday. Fingers crossed.
Cool oposite to my brew day yesterday absolutely stinking hot! It was that hot I was a lather of sweat any Time I went near the kettle.
Then we had an almighty storm yesterday eve that threatened to flood the patio cats n Dogs type stuff.
That verdant yeast hasn't kicked in yet this morn just a thin film on the surface which tells me that party is just about to get started:).

@HighVoltageMan! Nothing like winging it on your first run lol I actually added an extra 500ml erring on more final volume than less and number was 21.5 calculator was set at 21 into the fermentor so best brew day numbers wise I've had in a few:).

Back