Lallemand Nottingham Yeast

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Anyone use Nottingham in a Stout? I pitched 1/2 pack dry into a 1.5 gal batch of my Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie Stout last Friday and the OG 1.053 is down to 1.029 yesterday. I have read that it works fast just not on my beer. Any worldly knowledge to lay on me besides patience?

Thanks!

Hi folks,

Anyone use Nottingham in a Stout? I pitched 1/2 pack dry into a 1.5 gal batch of my Chocolate Oatmeal Cookie Stout last Friday and the OG 1.053 is down to 1.029 yesterday. I have read that it works fast just not on my beer. Any worldly knowledge to lay on me besides patience?

Thanks!
Ferm temp pls?
I'd give it a good rouse by swirling it for a bit you could even shake as I'm sure headspace will be all co2. Just incase it's got lazy and flocked.
Right now I'd also force the temp up a degree or two because its seems their acting sluggish to me. They mightnt like their working conditions and might go on strike and not do any more work until conditions In the workplace improve like temperature.

The name suggests something with a lot of unfermentable sugars in it. Post the recipe and it may hold the key to your problem. Other than extremely low fermentation temp, there's not much else that can be responsible for that result.

I'm fermenting at 71F currently that was bumped gradually since pitching. Ill check the gravity again tomorrow.

Grain build:
2lbs Vienna
.25 lb each of cookie malt, pale chocolate malt, flaked oats, crystal 40
2 oz black prinz

You have over 1/3 of your malt bill in specialty malt and adjunct. As I mentioned earlier, I think you have a lot of unfermentable sugars in your wort. Make sure your hydrometer is reading right and check it again. It should go further than 1.029 but it may be very slow to do so.

I guess I was a bit light on the base malt. It was an experiment. Now I know what to do differently on trial #2 with this brew. Thanks for the knowledge. I appreciate it.

I guess I was a bit light on the base malt. It was an experiment. Now I know what to do differently on trial #2 with this brew. Thanks for the knowledge. I appreciate it.
With a recipe like that, there's no reason to use Vienna malt. A dry, crisp 2-row will do you more good.Make the base malt 80 percent and see how it goes. Your initial recipe still has a chance but I think it'll be under-attenuated.

I did not have any 2 row and I wanted to brew something.....I had to take a break from brewing for a few weeks.

Well folks here is my stout experiment. Since I gave up on it in the fermenter, I have no idea what the ABV is. It tastes pretty good. Not bad for screwing up.
20201111_184356.jpg

Well folks here is my stout experiment. Since I gave up on it in the fermenter, I have no idea what the ABV is. It tastes pretty good. Not bad for screwing up.View attachment 12835
Looks like beer!
Honestly, here lately I haven't even been taking fg. I figure fermentation is done and I don't care much what the abv is. I know the general range it's in and that's good enough for me. I just always tell my wife it's 4% and she thinks she's a light weight.

Not really sure why I still take FG readings. I usually do it at kegging time, so it's just a matter of habit. Pretty much know what to expect in a normal fermentation and can tell when it's done visually. Guess it's a good idea when trying new yeast strains, which I'll ne doing after my next batch, but not a must with the tried and true.

Looks like beer!
Honestly, here lately I haven't even been taking fg. I figure fermentation is done and I don't care much what the abv is. I know the general range it's in and that's good enough for me. I just always tell my wife it's 4% and she thinks she's a light weight.
I always tell my wife my beers are under 5% :)

I always tell my wife my beers are under 5% :)
Philistines! :rolleyes: Sometimes my beers surprise me but not frequently. That said, the couple drops that go into my refractometer are never missed and give me peace of mind.

I always do OG and FG but I also don't really need to as I know where they generally finish. But I like knowing and occasionally I do get a weird outcome.

Disclaimer:: Any newbies following this thread should ignore responses from veteran brewers in regard to final gravity checks, especially if you bottle your beer. Failure to use multiple gravity readings over a 3 day period to determine that fermentation is indeed finished may result in bottle bombs. Disregarding advice herein may cause bodily harm and loss of beer.

Back