Lallemand Nottingham Yeast

I should really start paying attention to brix.

Anyone use Nottingham in a Stout?
Hey Franken.. I'm doing exactly that tonight.... my stout is boiling right now...1.079 is where it should finish... I'll be using Nottingham. I will let you know how it attenuates. My first time using it but have been anxious to try it out.
Recipe does have a good portion of fermentable, and as you.. I am heavy on the Vienna, although it may not be as good as heavy on Pilsen or Pale ale in relation to DP; Vienna is strong enough in DP. My preboil gravity is within 3 pts of expected.

should ignore responses from veteran brewers
Hahahaaa.... Right you are........ I will never be 'veteran' enough to not take data. :)
I'm data hungry and always take gravities, temperatures, volumes, etc... etc... because when you don't.. and Mr. Murphy visits, You will kick yourself for not having the data.

last night, rehydrated 34 gms of Nottingham which showed activity inside of 20 minutes of being exposed to water.
pitched the yeast, and checked on it 2 hours later, it showed good activity very quick... almost considered a blowoff tube but because I had good headspace in the fermenter, opted not to work further on it since it was 2:30am.
Here is a photo of the fermenter after 16 hours, showing a nice ring/stain mark of the krausen.
Recipe is my Rye Stout, using 56% Vienna, 17% Pilsner plus Rye and Wheat + dark grains.
IMG_2356w.jpg

last night, rehydrated 34 gms of Nottingham which showed activity inside of 20 minutes of being exposed to water.
pitched the yeast, and checked on it 2 hours later, it showed good activity very quick... almost considered a blowoff tube but because I had good headspace in the fermenter, opted not to work further on it since it was 2:30am.
Here is a photo of the fermenter after 16 hours, showing a nice ring/stain mark of the krausen.
Recipe is my Rye Stout, using 56% Vienna, 17% Pilsner plus Rye and Wheat + dark grains.
View attachment 12905
So your telling me it's already dropped wowie that is some fuckund activity in there :D:D:D!

some fuckund activity in there :D:D:D
hahahaaa... I should have taken yesterday to install a blowoff tube :rolleyes:
The activity was good and everything looked good.... this morning I did have a small mess to clean up... but luckily it was minimal spillover off the lid. Cleaned up and installed a new airlock, never missed a beat. so... didn't drop so quick... but the ring was my indication of the krausen existing.... since I don't open anything to get a real visual peak inside. activity is intense but hopefully over the peak.

hahahaaa... I should have taken yesterday to install a blowoff tube :rolleyes:
The activity was good and everything looked good.... this morning I did have a small mess to clean up... but luckily it was minimal spillover off the lid. Cleaned up and installed a new airlock, never missed a beat. so... didn't drop so quick... but the ring was my indication of the krausen existing.... since I don't open anything to get a real visual peak inside. activity is intense but hopefully over the peak.
I used Nottingham without a blowoff once...
IMG_20200902_181643.jpg
Never again!

Nottingham is burping away slowly, cleaning up. Yesterday the sg is at 1.018 ; targeted 1.016 so feel like it'll get there.
Confirming that a little more base malt, something with high DP, will add a lot to the recipe. I think the OP had 65% base, and although Vienna can convert itself and a little adjunct as well, it probably needed a little assistance from some Pilsner or Pale ale base. The 17% Pilsner in my base probably helped quite a lot to keep the overall DP good.

Thanks for the update. DP is something I am going to pay more attention to when building a recipe.

Back