US 05 Issues

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Brewed a pale ale Saturday. Pitched a pack of US05 Saturday at noon. Temp was 65. It took roughly 30 hrs before any signs of activity. Forward to today and here's what it looks like.

US05 has always been slow to start even when rehydrating. The pressure is at 10PSI.

Something just seems odd about the way it's acting.
OG was 1.049. Date on yeast packet was 3/2022.

Anything I should be concerned about?

Attachments

• 20200810_102435.jpg
    20200810_102435.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 279
Don't forget that pressure fermenting an ale yeast will really slow it down, and SO5 is slow to start as it is. I don't know what you're making, but I'm not a fan of fermenting most ales under pressure.

What is your current gravity at? Looks a bit weird but not inherently a problem.

I think it looks fine. Keep in mind that when under pressure, the co2 will remain in solution longer before escape the beer. In other words, it's possible it was fermenting, but not showing any krausen.

Don't forget that pressure fermenting an ale yeast will really slow it down, and SO5 is slow to start as it is. I don't know what you're making, but I'm not a fan of fermenting most ales under pressure.
Why are you not a fan of pressure Fermenting an ale? I've done three batches fermenting in the 6-10 psi range and have not had any problems.

Problem with US-05? I'm not a fan of US-05, but have used it enough in the past and know others that love it to tell you, Your process is far more likely to be a problem than the yeast. This assumes the yeast hasn't been subjected to some seriously poor handling.

FWIW I don't particularly care for US05. I use mainly liquid. Just didn't have time to make a starter.

I've used US05 before with no issues other than a delay in the yeast getting started.

I have a hard time believing fermenting under pressure would be the cause for the delay but I suppose it's possible as I am not a scientist. With that said my previous batches fermenting under pressure consisted of S04, WLP300 and 1318. No issues with any of those yeast.

I ordered this yeast from Ritebrew and it took 2-3 days to arrive. It is HOT here in the south but find that difficult to believe was the issue either.

It's fermenting now but the krausen is weak, much more so than any other yeast I've used.
I'm just gonna roll with it and ck the gravity next weekend.

Sounds unusual. I use 05 all the time under pressure with no problems to speak of. Wonder what the problem is or if there is one.

Yeah I'd say it's to do with the pressure let some out let's say down to 5psi I'm sure you'll see the krausen spring back up like magic.
You ever watched them hombrew videos where the dudes dry hop under pressure? You k ow the quick loosening of the lid then throw in the hops and the krausen rises up like am angry tiger trying to take their head off.

It's like the pressure fermentation suppresses the krausen.
Have you checked gravity?

If I were pressure fermenting, I'd let it get to full krausen and then close it off to let the pressure build up naturally. It won't take long. Letting the yeast get through reproduction without pressure should help with the lag phase.

If I were pressure fermenting, I'd let it get to full krausen and then close it off to let the pressure build up naturally. It won't take long. Letting the yeast get through reproduction without pressure should help with the lag phase.
Dropped the pressure to 5 psi. We'll see what happens.

Yeah I'd say it's to do with the pressure let some out let's say down to 5psi I'm sure you'll see the krausen spring back up like magic.
You ever watched them hombrew videos where the dudes dry hop under pressure? You k ow the quick loosening of the lid then throw in the hops and the krausen rises up like am angry tiger trying to take their head off.

It's like the pressure fermentation suppresses the krausen.
Have you checked gravity?
Yea I watched Dr Hans do that. Pretty funny to say the least.

So I dropped the pressure to 5 psi and here's a photo. Almost looks like the yeast dropped out. This is weird.

Attachments

• 15970943907933428928685175501302.jpg
    15970943907933428928685175501302.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 339
I do this when using normal yeasts. I usually let them go for 12-24 hours before letting the pressure build. When using kveik however, I go pressure as soon as it builds. It goes so fast you usually don't have time to wait!

The way it now looks appears fermentation is almost finished. Not sure if the pressure did something. I'll check it tomorrow and maybe do a gravity check.
Just doesn't look right.

Why are you not a fan of pressure Fermenting an ale? I've done three batches fermenting in the 6-10 psi range and have not had any problems.

Because the things I want in an ale are suppressed with pressure fermenting. However, I do have the ability to ferment my ales on the cool side to get the characteristics I want from them. I don't see any advantage at all to pressure fermenting ales in my case.

I'm on board with pressure fermenting lagers, to suppress esters especially.

Oh, and I must admit that I dislike S05. I have tried it many times over the years, but it's finicky for me. It tastes estery (peachy) at under 64 degrees or so, and a different type of estery (but not unpleasant) over about 71 degrees, and it takes a long time to start for me (but not as long as BRY 97!). I really don't use or care for much dry ale yeast, though. I use a ton of dry wine yeast strains, but find that I really have not discovered a dry ale yeast strain that I like.

Back