US 05 Issues

Oh, and I must admit that I dislike S05. I have tried it many times over the years, but it's finicky for me. It tastes estery (peachy) at under 64 degrees or so, and a different type of estery (but not unpleasant) over about 71 degrees, and it takes a long time to start for me (but not as long as BRY 97!). I really don't use or care for much dry ale yeast, though. I use a ton of dry wine yeast strains, but find that I really have not discovered a dry ale yeast strain that I like.
Maybe a good reason to suppress them esters then ha!:D

That fermentation looks done to me @Nola_Brew
You could take a gravity reading man your killing me I'll predict it let's say 1.010:rolleyes:...

Maybe a good reason to suppress them esters then ha!:D

That fermentation looks done to me @Nola_Brew
You could take a gravity reading man your killing me I'll predict it let's say 1.010:rolleyes:...
Well hell I can't see it will be done in one day. That's faster than Kveik.
I would be surprised if it's 1.010 or even close to that.
I will check it in the morning and report back.

Because the things I want in an ale are suppressed with pressure fermenting. However, I do have the ability to ferment my ales on the cool side to get the characteristics I want from them. I don't see any advantage at all to pressure fermenting ales in my case.

I'm on board with pressure fermenting lagers, to suppress esters especially.
Valid points. I appreciate your feedback.
I don't use much dry yeast these days. I keep US05 and S04 on hand just in case.
I'm going to Brew some kind of lager around October if I can find a recipe that interest me.

Well hell I can't see it will be done in one day. That's faster than Kveik.
I would be surprised if it's 1.010 or even close to that.
I will check it in the morning and report back.
Ok yeah maybe not then :D

I don't see any advantage at all to pressure fermenting ales in my case.

I'm on board with pressure fermenting lagers, to suppress esters especially.
I'm with Yooper...No advantage in pressure fermentation for an ale. Capping to capture CO2 for carbonation makes perfect sense, of course but fermentation should be 90% done by that time. I haven't pressured lagers early in fermentation. I'll have to look into that to see if i can get cleaner flavor from the 60 degree fermentation that I often do.

I've read so many articles and watched various YouTube videos about pressure fermenting. I don't recall any doing it when fermentation is 90% complete. So I went with what I read and watched. Precious three batches had no issues with pressure from the beginning.
That's the problem with the web. So much info and not sure what to believe.
Next brew I'll vent early then close off towards the end of fermentation.
I'll be checking the gravity later just to see where it's at. If necessary I'll pitch another pack of yeast.

I don't recall any doing it when fermentation is 90% complete.
Capping late in the process when there's a few gravity points left is the way to use CO2 from fermentation to naturally carbonate the beer. It's not technically fermenting under pressure since most of the fermentation runs normally and CO2 is released.
There are some advantages to fermenting with pressure the whole time. Like Yooper said, ales don't necessarily benefit from pressure fermenting but lagers do.

Update:
Even though there is no krausen it's still actively fermenting. I pull the fermenter out and can see the activity.
Maybe being under pressure from the beginning caused the krausen to drop almost as fast as it appeared.
I'll hold off taking a gravity reading until the weekend.

My brew pitched with US-05 yesterday afternoon is ripping this morning.

I don't get it. I assume the pressure affected the yeast.
Just my opinion but I don't think it the pressure ferment. I've used 05 numerous times under pressure and had no issues at all, and I usually run my pressure at 15-17 psi. I like running my ales under pressure just for the fact that once it's complete fermenting, the beer is ready to serve.
Who knows. Maybe everything is just fine and you'll right on track when you take your final reading. If you're under pressure now you could easily pull a sample now to just check.

Oh, and I must admit that I dislike S05. I have tried it many times over the years, but it's finicky for me. It tastes estery (peachy) at under 64 degrees or so, and a different type of estery (but not unpleasant) over about 71 degrees, and it takes a long time to start for me (but not as long as BRY 97!). I really don't use or care for much dry ale yeast, though. I use a ton of dry wine yeast strains, but find that I really have not discovered a dry ale yeast strain that I like.
I don’t like US05 either. People brag about how clean it is, but I don’t get it. It always comes across as “dirty”. It has a distinct ale flavor.

I don’t use much dry yeast, but S04 is a much better yeast. Cleaner, has a lower finish pH, works well even when under pitched, finishes faster and clears faster. The best yeast I have ever used for pale ales and IPA’s is WLP007, but it’s liquid.

I'm a S04 fan. I almost used it for this batch but opted for US05.
I don't use much dry. Just didn't have time to make a starter.

Here's a photo this morning. Fermentation looks fine.

Attachments

• 20200812_080540.jpg
    20200812_080540.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 185
Yep ive noticed same
Here's a photo this morning. Fermentation looks fine.
Wow that is a slow start. I admit I still like to check fermentation has kicked off every brew it gives you peace of mind until then it's in the back of the mind.

Yep ive noticed same

Wow that is a slow start. I admit I still like to check fermentation has kicked off every brew it gives you peace of mind until then it's in the back of the mind.
I agree 100%.
Never have that lag time w liquid. Maybe 12 hrs. US05 has always been slow but never this long. The pressure must have affected the start.

I agree 100%.
Never have that lag time w liquid. Maybe 12 hrs. US05 has always been slow but never this long. The pressure must have affected the start.
Oh BTW I looked and we've both got the same amount of recorded brews down 91 here. Cheers looking forward to hitting me hundy;)

Back