LalBrew Voss Kveik Dry Yeast Testimonial

FPMBomb

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I bottled an american kolsch (https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1022327/az-poolside-guzzler-20-voss) that I brewed three days prior using the above referenced yeast. I only pitched half the packet into 2.75 gallons of 1.056 wort and it finished out in 2 days flat at 90F. I just wasn't prepared to bottle that soon so I had to let it sit for another day before I could find 30min. to bottle. What really struck me was the small krausen. I knew this yeast was supposed to ferment out quick but I really expected to see an aggressive krausen that need a blow-off tube etc. but it was a rather tame yeast. I haven't tasted it yet, other than a small sample that was 88F when I bottled, so I'll be looking forward to comparing this the same beer I made three weeks prior with US-05 fermented at 61F. Has anyone else used this yeast or another Voss Kviek that could provide some feedback?

Yesterday I bottled an american kolsch (https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1022327/az-poolside-guzzler-20-voss) that I brewed three days prior using the above referenced yeast. I only pitched half the packet into 2.75 gallons of 1.056 wort and it finished out in 2 days flat at 90F. I just wasn't prepared to bottle that soon so I had to let it sit for another day before I could find 30min. to bottle. What really struck me was the small krausen. I knew this yeast was supposed to ferment out quick but I really expected to see an aggressive krausen that need a blow-off tube etc. but it was a rather tame yeast. I haven't tasted it yet, other than a small sample that was 88F when I bottled, so I'll be looking forward to comparing this the same beer I made three weeks prior with US-05 fermented at 61F. Has anyone else used this yeast or another Voss Kviek that could provide some feedback?
I've used this yeast several times and really like it for more hop forward brews.
I brewed a 7% abv IPA that was fermented out in less than 36 hours. It's a beast. I fermented at about 95f.

I have used VOSS in a couple of NEIPA's with great success. Most recently used in a 6.5% coffee porter, which turned out great too!

Edit: I should note that the pitch in the coffee porter was harvested from a NEIPA

The VOSS I am using is from Escarpment Labs, a local company. Altgough many of their yeast strains are loaded here, their VOSS isn't listed here on BF, so I just put the OYL version in my recipes.

Follow up: I do prefer the version of this beer fermented cool with US-05 over the Voss version. The US-05 was more crisp(though same finishing gravity) and had a fresher hop character. The Voss version is good and I would be perfectly happy with it had I not had the other to compare. My next batch with this strain will be a more fruity hop forward IPA. Thanks for all the feedback.

Follow up: I do prefer the version of this beer fermented cool with US-05 over the Voss version. The US-05 was more crisp(though same finishing gravity) and had a fresher hop character. The Voss version is good and I would be perfectly happy with it had I not had the other to compare. My next batch with this strain will be a more fruity hop forward IPA. Thanks for all the feedback.
I would agree with your assessment. I've been going back to us-05 and I also find it cleaner maybe? Not sure if that is the right word and there's nothing wrong at all with the Voss. It's just -different-.

I would agree with your assessment. I've been going back to us-05 and I also find it cleaner maybe? Not sure if that is the right word and there's nothing wrong at all with the Voss. It's just -different-.
I think it’s fruitier with the Voss if that’s the right word. Using the same recipe. I’m going to make a pale using the US-05 again soon.

Yeah if I had to only have 2 I would probably go with those. Which is weird cause I hardly ever use them.

04 and Kveik for me. Of course i havent used 05 since April since ive been doing British beers and Stouts with 04 and Pales with Kveik. It was right at the time I started harvesting yeast and I hate to get a third type possibly going bad in my fridge.

Do y'all think it would work with Mosaic, Citra, and Galaxy in an IPA? I'm not a huge IPA fan, but as long as the bittering is below 50, I'm willing to try it. Plus my wife likes IPA's so I thought I would surprise her.

I'm sure it would work with those. Though I tend to think of either Galaxy or Mosaic. I'd then add in something like Simcoe or Amarillo or whatever new hop you want to play with.

Since it fits Kveik Pale Ale. 2 row, caramel 60 and about 45 ibu of Cascade
2B0CB061-C24D-42B5-A7EE-A14BBDE25F00.jpeg

Back