LalBrew Voss Kveik Dry Yeast Testimonial

I have 19 bottles of a coffee porter fermented with Escarpment Labs VOSS Kveik bottle conditioning right now. I think it brewed like 6 or more weeks ago. The kegged portion of the batch is still providing me with joy in my glass. I plan to leave the 19 bottles until mid December. They are in the basement, it is pretty cool down there with AC running pretty steady. It will be interesting to see if it carbs up by then.

Made an observation about lalbrew voss kveik, and I hope it's okay that I post it here. I've noticed that when I pitch dried lalbrew voss, the krausen is tall and foamy, and usually requires a blow off. The wort is very cloudy from moving yeast cells, and takes several days to clear/floccuate.

But when I pitch from a saved slurry (which to be fair, I've only done twice), the yeast stays clumpy and at "high krausen," the wort doesn't require as much head space and the wort doesn't appear as cloudy/hazy from yeast cells.

I store my dried yeast in the freezer, weigh it out during heating strike water/first half of the mash, and leave it on the counter, covered, to warm up to room temp before pitching (no rehydration). The yeast slurries are kept in sanitized jars in the fridge. During the start of my brew day, I pull out the jar to warm up, and gently shake to rouse up the yeast (no starter or proof before pitching).

Here's a pic of a batch with dried yeast from yesterday (left), and a batch from today with reused yeast slurry (right). The slurry is on it's 2nd reuse.
20200903_203624.jpg

Very interesting! Except that it is done so quickly, I don't see what your are seeing there, my fermenters are opaque. I have never used the Lallemand product, I have only used liquid version from Escarpment Labs, and subsequent slurry from that

Mine looked the same dry or slurry. Interesting

I wonder if my pitching rates are comparable. Without truly knowing how much yeast is in my slurry, I guess I'll never know. I used 2 g dried kveik for the grapefruit honey ale in the carboy, and about 2 ounces of washed slurry for the lawnmower beer in the jar on the right

I use 1/2 tsp slurry for a gallon and a half.

I originally pitched 1/2 tsp, but it didn't seem like enough. After a few hours nothing had happened, and I wanted to see what high krausen was going to look like before I went to bed. Probably should have left it with a blow off and called it good. Maybe also because I rinse my yeast, so it's possible it's got more liquid and fewer cells.

It just seemed logical to me that bottles should condition faster given that the properties of the yeast don’t change. However, most if not all of us bottle conditioners don’t store our product in a dark, very warm environment. I’m trying an unscientific experiment by storing a few bottles at 29 - 32c (85-90f) and will open one up after after 5, 10, etc. days to see what happens.

The results are in. Attached are pics of my blonde ale conditioned for 5 days in temps between 82 - 92f. Good foam and lacing. I declare it a success, which proves the hypothesis (in my mind).
CB825CA1-E94A-447E-A507-75F6328ED26A.jpeg
D473C926-6EBA-4AA5-9D6F-857D5D981EDF.jpeg

I originally pitched 1/2 tsp, but it didn't seem like enough. After a few hours nothing had happened, and I wanted to see what high krausen was going to look like before I went to bed. Probably should have left it with a blow off and called it good. Maybe also because I rinse my yeast, so it's possible it's got more liquid and fewer cells.
Half a teaspoon is plenty enough even for 5 gallon batch kviek is supposed to be underpitched ;).

The results are in. Attached are pics of my blonde ale conditioned for 5 days in temps between 82 - 92f. Good foam and lacing. I declare it a success, which proves the hypothesis (in my mind).View attachment 11754 View attachment 11755
Amen You need to condition the beers at or above ferm temp. So naturally Voss is fermenting at 30+ Well that's where I would condition at to get a quick carb up.

Back