LalBrew Voss Kveik Dry Yeast Testimonial

Well, checked the beer today for bottling and decided airlock activity was low enough (I.e. there was none) to go ahead. Did my usual routine and packaged 10.23 litres of a decent, roasty stout with honey as the priming sugar.

FG was a higher than expected 1.022 giving a 7% beer, much, much lower than the plan of just over 10%, but only slightly lower than the brew day suggested. Maybe another day or two in the fermenter would have gone me another point or two, but I don’t mind. It tastes decent and I think it will be a better stout because of the lower ABV.

Still unsure about the Voss.., it went of quickly and did a clean job of fermenting in the heat, so maybe I will make that my summer strain. I still want to try it with a normal beer at some point, something that will allow any fruity notes to come through.
Hmmmm, bottling at 1023, hope that doesn't come back to haunt you. What was your expected FG? VOSS has always finished around 1010 for me, but I have never made a beer that big. If it wasn't done yet, and you added priming sugar, you could have some ordinants in your house o_O

Expected was 1018, so high, but not too high. It stayed a lot longer in the fermenter than I expected and did not look as though it was active. I also deliberately under-primed it (calculator said between 1.7 and 2.3, so I went to about 1.8), so hopefully it will be ok. It is also in a crate with a box on top in case there is some cooking off.

I still did a starter so I can take 25-30% of it for the next batch before I pitch the rest. I like this method better than washing yeast after fermentation.

I do the same thing when reusing yeast. Just make a big starter and save part of it. Less hassle in the end and when pitching, the yeast are at high krausen and viable.

I also do another starter when I'm going to pitch the yeast that I saved from the original starter. Could be excessive, but I like to think that it helps the little yeasties along.

VOSS has always finished around 1010 for me, but I have never made a beer that big.
I think there are a bunch of varieties of Voss, let alone Kveik yeast. Should almost go off of brand of yeast rather than strain. I used Lallemand Voss (dry) last week. Pitched at 96F. I was surprised by the very low krausen, others have reported a really high krausen. As far as pitching the yeast the manufacturer states:

Our research suggests that pitching LalBrew® Voss directly into wort without prior rehydration will often result in better performance including shorter lag-phase and greater attenuation.

I overpitched according to some by pitching 11 grams into 7 gallons, so i was expecting a massive puke and never got it.

There seems to be a lot of different strains out there using the same name.

I think there are a bunch of varieties of Voss, let alone Kveik yeast. Should almost go off of brand of yeast rather than strain. I used Lallemand Voss (dry) last week. Pitched at 96F. I was surprised by the very low krausen, others have reported a really high krausen. As far as pitching the yeast the manufacturer states:

Our research suggests that pitching LalBrew® Voss directly into wort without prior rehydration will often result in better performance including shorter lag-phase and greater attenuation.

I overpitched according to some by pitching 11 grams into 7 gallons, so i was expecting a massive puke and never got it.

There seems to be a lot of different strains out there using the same name.
You may be right! I've used that exact yeast several times and I have gotten the massive puke @ right about 95f. This usually happens within a few hours.

I have been using Escarpment Labs liquid VOSS.
The krausen has never been all that high.

I just brewed a 1.067 IPA with dry Voss. I was surprised that it took almost 2-1/2+ days to hit final gravity, I pitch a full packet (11 grams) at 94-95F (35C) into 7-1/2 gallons. It took off really fast, but it just kept going. It never drop below 85F (30C).

I've use S04 (11 grams) and it finished in 4 to 5 days at 68F (20C), I guess Voss is a little faster, but I was expect the mythical 24-36 hours for final gravity. Am I expecting too much?
I just bottled a 1.045 gravity pale ale that took about 2 days maybe less to ferment with Voss. I pitched at 97F and put it my garage that goes from 91F first thing in the morning up to 108F by sunset (West facing). The warmest the ferment got was 101F. It tasted awesome at bottling.

I have been using Escarpment Labs liquid VOSS.
The krausen has never been all that high.
I use the dry Voss, or at least the first time I did, and I've been surpised by the lack of krausen. You'd think an aggressive yeast would drive more krausen formation. I've also noticed that beer made with this yeast are lacking head. My kolsch test was a really good example. The US-05 version had a great thick head that was persistent. The Voss version could barely form a head at all and the little that was formed dissipated quickly.

I use the dry Voss, or at least the first time I did, and I've been surpised by the lack of krausen. You'd think an aggressive yeast would drive more krausen formation. I've also noticed that beer made with this yeast are lacking head. My kolsch test was a really good example. The US-05 version had a great thick head that was persistent. The Voss version could barely form a head at all and the little that was formed dissipated quickly.
Most of the time my experiences with Voss have been like that. Last time I changed the air lock 2 times in the first 24 hours

I still did a starter so I can take 25-30% of it for the next batch before I pitch the rest. I like this method better than washing yeast after fermentation.

This is my go to method. It's much easier.

First batch using Voss finished fermenting in 5 days, which is inline with what Lallemand’s website represents given fermenter temps were in the low to mid 80‘s. So, my question is, since I bottle condition, will my beer carbonate 2 - 3x faster than a standard dry yeast?

Last edited:
First batch using Voss finished fermenting in 5 days, which is inline with what Lallemand’s website represents given fermenter temps were in the low to mid 80‘s. So, my question is, since I bottle condition, will my beer carbonate 2 - 3x faster than a standard dry yeast?
No it won’t or at least mine have not

I've bottled 3 batches with voss and they all took the same amount of time as regular yeast

I've bottled 3 batches with voss and they all took the same amount of time as regular yeast
Odd, how warm did you ferment? Kveik likes it warm, like real warm, VOSS likes high 80's, even high 90's. I pitched VOSS Sunday afternoon, have been cold crashing since yesterday afternoon. I could keg it and be drinking it by tomorrow evening, but will let it crash for another day or two.

Odd, how warm did you ferment? Kveik likes it warm, like real warm, VOSS likes high 80's, even high 90's. I pitched VOSS Sunday afternoon, have been cold crashing since yesterday afternoon. I could keg it and be drinking it by tomorrow evening, but will let it crash for another day or two.
Sorry, bottle conditioning is same amount of time. Time in primary fermenter is much faster than, say, US05

Sorry, bottle conditioning is same amount of time. Time in primary fermenter is much faster than, say, US05
As they are essentially fermenting under pressure in the it makes sense that it would take longer

From Lallemand ....

Thanks for your question. It depends on what temperature you bottle condition at. We see that primary fermentation speed drops significantly at around 20-25'C (still ferments, but with speeds more similar to a typical ale strain). We have not specifically tested the kinetics of bottle conditioning at warmer temperatures, but in principle it could be faster.

I think this may have been my issue with the Lallmand Voss I used... I chose it because it wanted to get the stout done for winter and it was, well, really warm in the apartment. Kveik seemed the obvious choice given the tolerance for higher temps. I'm guessing the near normal 25-28 that it had caused the slower fermentation and it is also why the bottle conditioning is taking a little more time to carbonate.

Mind you, that's not to say there is not carbonation, it's just not huge. That's probably a good thing though as the stout does retain a head and I did not want a foam-fest (looking at you Hefeweissen...).

It just seemed logical to me that bottles should condition faster given that the properties of the yeast don’t change. However, most if not all of us bottle conditioners don’t store our product in a dark, very warm environment. I’m trying an unscientific experiment by storing a few bottles at 29 - 32c (85-90f) and will open one up after after 5, 10, etc. days to see what happens.

Please let us know what you find out :)

Back