Oh yes,my new thread! Dry ice pellets...

Rudibrew

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi guys ,time for me to start a new thread.
Has anyone on this forum tried dried ice/co2 to carbonate faster ,no keg of course.
I bottle condition,read some tryouts and watched a few videos, but still skeptical.
I can get dry ice/co2 pellets at about R30 per kg.
That's about 1.5 pounds per 2.2lb
What are your guys opinion,and I thank you again for your replies.

I've never tried it or even thought about it. I don't think I would do it with glass bottles, you are priming bottle bombs with that.
But if you are using plastic, it could be effective.
In a keg I would be far less worried about trying it, they are rated to extremely high pressures.

Hi guys ,time for me to start a new thread.
Has anyone on this forum tried dried ice/co2 to carbonate faster ,no keg of course.
I bottle condition,read some tryouts and watched a few videos, but still skeptical.
I can get dry ice/co2 pellets at about R30 per kg.
That's about 1.5 pounds per 2.2lb
What are your guys opinion,and I thank you again for your replies.
You're going to have to figure out the weight of carbon dioxide gas you need, then weigh the dry ice very precisely for it to work (well, a margin of a couple tenths of a volume likely won't hurt). Here's a very rough calculation: Determine how much CO2 you have in your beer - there are tables you can google - then subtract that from the volumes of CO2 you want. Then multiply that by the volume of beer you have in liters. That'll give you the number of liters of CO2 you need. Divide that by 22.4 liters to give the number of moles of carbon dioxide you need, then multiply that by 44 to get the grams of dry ice you'd need. You're going to be measuring small quantities of dry ice that is sublimating as you measure it.... I don't see how you can do that more cheaply than bottle conditioning with plain table sugar.

You're going to have to figure out the weight of carbon dioxide gas you need, then weigh the dry ice very precisely for it to work (well, a margin of a couple tenths of a volume likely won't hurt). Here's a very rough calculation: Determine how much CO2 you have in your beer - there are tables you can google - then subtract that from the volumes of CO2 you want. Then multiply that by the volume of beer you have in liters. That'll give you the number of liters of CO2 you need. Divide that by 22.4 liters to give the number of moles of carbon dioxide you need, then multiply that by 44 to get the grams of dry ice you'd need. You're going to be measuring small quantities of dry ice that is sublimating as you measure it.... I don't see how you can do that more cheaply than bottle conditioning with plain table sugar.
Yes, bottling with plain sugar works, although at a time expense.
We have absolutely no beer available due to suspension/covid issues.

My beer , brewed with immense help and advice from all you guys,and my additional research in 5 days, fermented.
I bottled conditioned,had a good result,2 days carbonation.
But now I see ,from different batches I brew that the lighter beer carbs quicker.

Sorry I got off my point.
We need beer quick,my supply will last me , but I let two buddies taste a sample....
Now I would like to carbonate quicker,but no keg, please,my wife will kill me.
Hence,dry ice pellets....?

It'll probably work, but not as well or as fast as you are imagining.

Yes, bottling with plain sugar works, although at a time expense.
We have absolutely no beer available due to suspension/covid issues.

My beer , brewed with immense help and advice from all you guys,and my additional research in 5 days, fermented.
I bottled conditioned,had a good result,2 days carbonation.
But now I see ,from different batches I brew that the lighter beer carbs quicker.

Sorry I got off my point.
We need beer quick,my supply will last me , but I let two buddies taste a sample....
Now I would like to carbonate quicker,but no keg, please,my wife will kill me.
Hence,dry ice pellets....?
Sorry,I didn't do the calculation yet,
Just busy at my son's match.

It'll probably work, but not as well or as fast as you are imagining.

I'll do the math at home,thanks buddy,
These boxing matches are biased,these refs always favor the favorite

Bastards. Just like in Hockey, can never trust a ref.

You're sort of wasting time and resources on a method that's not particularly safe or effective. If you want beer carbed quickly, find a couple of used kegs and a used CO2 set up. If you're going to continue brewing and you're not satisfied with bottle conditioning, you'll eventually end up there anyway. ;)

You're sort of wasting time and resources on a method that's not particularly safe or effective. If you want beer carbed quickly, find a couple of used kegs and a used CO2 set up. If you're going to continue brewing and you're not satisfied with bottle conditioning, you'll eventually end up there anyway. ;)
You probably right,
At the moment can't justify buying a keg with my wife.
She doesn't understand the economy behind it.
So I guess my dry ice could die if safety is an issue.

K
You probably right,
At the moment can't justify buying a keg with my wife.
She doesn't understand the economy behind it.
So I guess my dry ice could die if safety is an issue.
Kegs are not a easy and quick buy out here.
Relatively a very new concept.
But dry ice is available.

Is there not a whole bunch of old pepsi and coke kegs from the 90s around? Not sure how they distributed fountain pop over there.

A keg is $40-50 CAD here, dry ice cost at least that much for me to get my hands on.

Chest Freezer and kegs is the way to go if you want to shorten carbonation time or are already sick of bottling. Certainly an investment though... If you keep the pipeline going though and use 2L bottles you are somewhat ahead of the game. Sharing is great but comes at the cost of loss of product ;) - Not easy in a lock-down! lol - Wish I could help with the dry ice but it is the first I've heard of it. Sounds like Nosy gave you some solid feedback to try out though.

If you do go for it then let us know how it turns out and what you think of the process.

Kind of hard to come up with anything that's particularly innovative these days. What you're thinking of has been tried before and, judging by the fact that it hasn't become popular, it failed in one or more ways.

If a sample for 2 buddies put you in short supply, it sounds like bigger batches is the solution.

I've actually done old fashioned root beer with dry ice years ago although that isn't going to help you with your calculations for beer. It works ok in 1L or 2L PET bottles but I wouldn't try it with glass. Even with plastic if you're doing like a 12 oz bottle you're going to find it very hard to have the carbonation consistent across the batch. I'd just do the priming sugar and if it's only half carbonated it's only half. I don't mind flat beer that much though.
Bastards. Just like in Hockey, can never trust a ref.
Hockey refs wrong? Never!!
120925100457-11-bad-calls-0925-horizontal-gallery.0.jpg

I'll do the math at home,thanks buddy,
These boxing matches are biased,these refs always favor the favorite
Basketball, too. Damned Hoosier refs....

Be sure and check the constants I provided and use as high a precision as you can - there's a lot of gas in a little bit of dry ice! 44 grams expands to 22.4 liters....

Try this. You and your buddy partner up on purchasing brewing equipment (Kegging) so you can brew bigger batches and carbonate faster.

Back