Oh yes,my new thread! Dry ice pellets...

Keep doing your research and reading up on kegging. If you get into brewing regularly (and larger batches) it is certainly the way to go. Its a lot less cleaning for sure. You actually could even keep brewing 10 L batches and still keg - you'd just buy smaller kegs. You may not find it as feasible though as increasing batch sizes and kegging 20 L... - Both are possible. I have seen 10 L kegs on the web but you'd have to wait for delivery etc...

Good luck!

No. This would be how you dispense your beer after it has been carbonated. Pretty much, you have a co2 line to put co2 into the keg and then there is an out post that you would connect this to in order to pour your beer into a glass.

Something similar to this: (this is a co2 tank connected to an old pepsi keg (co2 in)and it has a picnic tap for the beer out.)
20111005_173713_Homebrew_keg.jpg

This is the picture I was looking for earlier and couldn't find.

so ,i can get the co2 tank,a regulator,
if the keg works out,then i just need a dispensing tap?
sorry for the questions,never used a keg or saw it working
A keg has to have a gas inlet and a liquid outlet. Here in the States, we use what are called ball lock or pin lock Cornelius kegs (Corny's). "Ball lock" and "pin lock" refer to the quick disconnects on the keg. You hook the CO2 tank via the r
The 2L keg you showed us looked like it would take something like this : (but I am not sure...) - On these - one post is co2 in and the other beer out..
th
That's a Sanke connection, both in and out in one. It usually fits "pro" kegs.

For what it's worth I tried this out a couple years ago when I had a surprise c02 leak and no way to force carb a plastic bottle to bring to a homebrew club meeting.

A grocery store nearby sold dry ice by the 1/10 lb. SO I did the math and figured out carbonation volumes to mols of c02 to grams of dry ice in a spreadsheet. Aimed for 2.2 vol incase it was off in either direction for safety.

Bought 0.1 lbs, put it in an insulated coffee mug, came home. Put it in a bag, smashed it up into tiny pieces, weighed it out on a 0.001g scale and carefully put it in a filled plastic bottle of stouts and screwed the cap on real quick.

It's expensive, super sketchy, not very safe, and I found out later the dry ice is probably not food grade (they often have lubricants and oils from industrial processing). Don't recommend.

You actually could even keep brewing 10 L batches and still keg - you'd just buy smaller kegs. You may not find it as feasible though as increasing batch sizes and kegging 20 L... - Both are possible. I have seen 10 L kegs on the web but you'd have to wait for delivery etc...
I make big batches - 11-22 gallons and I still end up using my small kegs a lot. For one thing, my kegerator will fit a shorty on the "hump" over the compressor in back so I can have 3 taps running with 2 5-gal cornys and 1 half-size keg. They're handy when I want to do a cider because I often just want something a little different on tap and don't want to buy 5 gallons of juice. They come in handy when I need to empty a partially drained keg to make room for a new batch. Point being, even if you start out with all 2-3 gallon kegs, you can easily justify their use no matter how big your system gets. :)

That's a start! it's even better if she likes a beer that's really specific and not particularly common. You'll get plenty of help with recipes. And ciders are better at higher CO2 volumes and work far better in kegs. :)
You could combine the two ideas and do a cider with Strawberry Nectar. Since you probably need to back-sweeten (preferably with the strawberry nectar for lots of flavor) it'll re-ferment in bottles and only works in a keg held at low temps.
Win-Win!!!

Dead right. Home made cider is really only safe if you keg it ;)

My wife used to be a microbiologist working in a brewery, so I'm not getting away with any of this.

Interesting version of that keg as an all in one portable system. Put it in a wheelie bin with plenty of ice and you're away.
1542875900.jpg

https://www.beerplus.co.za/product/pet-keg-30l-incl-party-pump-5-8-amp/2739/233

So looks like they use a Sanke fitting. Should be able to refill those and treat them like a really big bottle. Cooling then becomes the major challenge. For home use you wouldn't want that party pump fitting, you'd just use external CO2 via a regulator.

I make big batches - 11-22 gallons and I still end up using my small kegs a lot. For one thing, my kegerator will fit a shorty on the "hump" over the compressor in back so I can have 3 taps running with 2 5-gal cornys and 1 half-size keg. They're handy when I want to do a cider because I often just want something a little different on tap and don't want to buy 5 gallons of juice. They come in handy when I need to empty a partially drained keg to make room for a new batch. Point being, even if you start out with all 2-3 gallon kegs, you can easily justify their use no matter how big your system gets. :)
Heck yeah! I have the torpedo 1.5 and 2.5 kegs and love them for this same reason! I like to split batches sometimes too and see what spices and dry hops do. Been thinking about getting another set! I love how they stack.

Heck yeah! I have the torpedo 1.5 and 2.5 kegs and love them for this same reason! I like to split batches sometimes too and see what spices and dry hops do. Been thinking about getting another set! I love how they stack.
I love those small torpedo kegs. I've got two for weekends away.

Sadly they've stopped shipping to Aus, but I think I'd pay the shipping costs for just the reasons you mention (splitting batches and playing around with different flavourings). And the kegerator is demanding a nitro tap and one of those would be perfect for nitro experiments (the wife isn't convinced, but I can hear it calling).

I am out camping right now, the first I thought of when I looked at the Torpedo link above was it looks like the 2 gallon size would fit in one of the round coolers we use for fermenting, packed with ice, good for the road.

Interesting version of that keg as an all in one portable system. Put it in a wheelie bin with plenty of ice and you're away.
1542875900.jpg

So looks like they use a Sanke fitting. Should be able to refill those and treat them like a really big bottle. Cooling then becomes the major challenge. For home use you wouldn't want that party pump fitting, you'd just use external CO2 via a regulator.
If it is a Sanke, it has all you'd want: A gas inlet and a tap. This portable rig likely has its own regulator (I have a portable mini-keg setup that uses the CO2 cartridges cyclists use for emergency tire fills). This looks good if you're using one keg at a time and cleaning, if you get the top off, is simple as caustic-acid washes.

1542875900.jpg

well done

sorry guys,for the barrage of questions.
if my fermenter is pumping out co2 into a airlock and my other two vessels are pumping co2 into containers via pipe,is there not a way that i can harvest this co2?
Just spitballing.

You can capture it and use it for closed transfers and preventing suck back when cold crashing.

sorry guys,for the barrage of questions.
if my fermenter is pumping out co2 into a airlock and my other two vessels are pumping co2 into containers via pipe,is there not a way that i can harvest this co2?
Just spitballing.
A few of us will reuse the fermentation CO2 a few ways. First is the approach Bob's already mentioned.

The other way involves a spunding valve. It releases the CO2 only when you've hit the target pressure. Some people will ferment under pressure, which can speed up the process or minimise the flavours the yeast produce. I'll ferment as normal and then when it's down to a few points left to go I'll put the spunding valve on and set it to the serving pressure I want and so when it's finished fermenting it's already carbonated. I then just need CO2 via the regulator to push the beer into the glasses.

Well that's the theory, it's a bit trickier than it sounds. Haven't done it perfectly yet, but I'm certainly getting some reuse from the CO2 from fermentation.

@Brewer #329768
The torpedo kegs of which we fondly speak are these:
https://www.morebeer.com/products/torpedo-ball-lock-kegs.html
Not sure if they ship your way but these are sweet little kegs. A bit pricey... But certainly solid quality. The 2.5 Gallon would match your 10L brewing.
I see they have a slimline product as well. The ones you posted the link to are a bit bigger diameter than a corny at 9.125", the slimlines are slightly smaller diameter than a corny at 8.3125". Prices look very, very reasonable for brand new all stainless kegs!

A few of us will reuse the fermentation CO2 a few ways. First is the approach Bob's already mentioned.

The other way involves a spunding valve. It releases the CO2 only when you've hit the target pressure. Some people will ferment under pressure, which can speed up the process or minimise the flavours the yeast produce. I'll ferment as normal and then when it's down to a few points left to go I'll put the spunding valve on and set it to the serving pressure I want and so when it's finished fermenting it's already carbonated. I then just need CO2 via the regulator to push the beer into the glasses.

Well that's the theory, it's a bit trickier than it sounds. Haven't done it perfectly yet, but I'm certainly getting some reuse from the CO2 from fermentation.
Sounds brilliant.

Back