Cascade Pale Hop Schedule

Steve SPF

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Morning folks. I want to brew a cascade pale that really shows off the hop flavours. I usually brew malt-forward English pales so this is a little new to me.

Thoughts at the moment are to use Magnum as a bittering addition and then lots of Cascade at the end of the boil, in the whirlpool, and as dry hops.

Any thoughts on a hopping schedule? I'm particularly thinking about the dry hops.

I tapped a new keg of American Pale Ale last night. I dry hopped with 1 oz. For a 5 gallon batch. I added the dry hops after the beer had fermented to within about 2 points of FG. I left them in for 5 days and then kegged. I used a mixture of Citra and Cascade.

There's definitely a hop flavor and aroma, but not too strong. Some people use a lot more hops for dry hopping depending on how much hop flavor they want. I think it's somewhat a matter of personal preference.

I think you're on track with what you're thinking.
.5 Magnum @60
.5 Cascade @ 15
.5 Cascade @10
.5 Cascade @ 5
1 Cascade in whirlpool @ 180°
1 Cascade at day 3
That should let you know all about Cascade.
Cheers

Wierdly, that's almost exactly what I have so far!

I was thinking about really bumping up the dry hop additions. I don't want to waste hops but I do have loads, buying them for £9 per kg now, so am happy to throw hops at it if it makes a difference.

Wierdly, that's almost exactly what I have so far!

I was thinking about really bumping up the dry hop additions. I don't want to waste hops but I do have loads, buying them for £9 per kg now, so am happy to throw hops at it if it makes a difference.
You said Pale, not IPA haha. Just be careful not to overdue it.

Pales can be hoppy! :)

Interesting that.

I see you use US05. I have both S04 and US05 and was thinking S04, what would make you prefer US05?

I use US-05 for Pale Ales and S-04 for British styles. Us-05 seems to ferment a bit cleaner. However, a few weeks ago I was out of US-05 and used S-04 instead. Tasted very good.

I've used both for Pales and IPAs. I generally prefer US-05 (or other Chico strains) because the stone-fruit esters tend to enhance flavors in American hops. For something like Cascade, it's pretty perfect. There are others that will do a great job like the Pacific Ale yeast or San Diego Super from White Labs. I'm just partial to the ease of use that dry yeast offers with styles that aren't more demanding of yeast performance for specific flavor character.
The S-04, when pitched sufficiently and brewed on the cool side can give a very clean malt flavor profile. I've used it a number of times for Blond Ales for that reason. I like the way it goes with neutral/spicy/floral hops like Willamette and the English varieties.

Honestly, I don't like either Safale 04 or 05 as a 1 gen yeast.
I think you'd be better off with Bry97 or Nottingham.
For an American Pale Ale, Bry 97 should be your choice for dry and WLP001 or wyeast 1056 for liquid.
My 2 cents.
Brian

Honestly, I don't like either Safale 04 or 05 as a 1 gen yeast.
I think you'd be better off with Bry97 or Nottingham.
For an American Pale Ale, Bry 97 should be your choice for dry and WLP001 or wyeast 1056 for liquid.
My 2 cents.
Brian
Bry 97 is another good dry Chico strain. I haven't used it so I don't know how different it is from the US-05 but it should give similar results.

Not enough hops IMHO. This my recipe
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/253526/wayner-s-pale-ale

If favors hop flavor over bitterness. Shoot for your IBU’s and set up your hop schedule to get the most hops into the brew while keeping your bitterness @ 45 IBU or so. Most pale ales don’t emphasize hops enough.

I won a lot of awards for this beer. It seems like it’s a IPA just looking at the recipe, but the bitterness is low, hop flavor is high and malt still stands out. I just got done drinking too much of it, it was too tempting not to.

I have used Cascade for the bittering hop, too. Around .5 oz for the 60 minute and the same addition at 30, 15 and 5 min in the boil. You will know Cascade by the end of this recipe. Like others have commented, I usually use 0.25 oz Warrior or Columbus as my bittering hop followed by Cascade, Mosaic, and Citra later in the boil, and dry hop with the same three and a bit of Columbus. The C hops are fun and make some nice brews for those hot summer days.

Back