Inconsistency in handling Yeast Names - Fermentis Specifically

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
OK. I think there has been some work in the area - and it may be still ongoing - but I have discovered an inconsistency in handling the Fermentis brand of Yeasts.
I am trying to handle my Inventory and comparing that with data exported from each of my recipes - and herein is the problem: What is in the recipe is NOT always what is exported. It would be nice if everything was handled one way or the other.
An example follows of what is going wrong.
There are three screenshots taken for two similar Fermentis yeasts.
First is during the Edit mode,
Second is during a View Mode and
Third is of the Export Text mode from the View screen.
1)Using a Fermentis - Safbrew - General/Belgian Yeast S-33 yeast
EDIT
upload_2020-7-20_22-1-41.png

VIEW
upload_2020-7-20_22-2-3.png

The same Yeast value.
EXPORT
upload_2020-7-20_22-2-26.png
All the same.

2)Using a Fermentis - Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05 yeast

EDIT
upload_2020-7-20_22-3-0.png

VIEW
upload_2020-7-20_22-3-37.png

So far both the same... but
EXPORT TEXT
upload_2020-7-20_22-5-4.png

Something has gone wrong here.
There are other Fermentis yeasts that display the same problem.

So far I have not found problems with the other brands I have in Inventory.

Have fun Mark.

No clue on this one, but I'll pass it along to the devs. For the sake of transparency, it'll be low priority with our current pipeline right now.

Yes Mark understood - I'm coping with it by judicious tweaks during import but it is strange.

Why don't you switch to using the beerXML or the BF json export? Handling text directly is quite cumbersome as I'm sure you're well aware of by now.

Why don't you switch to using the beerXML or the BF json export? Handling text directly is quite cumbersome as I'm sure you're well aware of by now.
XML would be another thing for me to get my head around - though I have done all the courses in the past but I will take a look at it - I can do the text manipulation no bother. I was only pointing out an inconsistency. I have tweaked the data and all is good here.
My spreadsheet reads in my Inventory and all (or selected) recipes and displays - on separate sheets - Recipe use of fermentables, hops and yeasts and can tell me what I need to buy to make any or all of the recipes I have. It was more of a mental exercise because I do this as a hobby - as well as brewing of course. It is only geared for UK though but I may post it on here someday if anyone was interested. I would need to make it load data from scratch first and I don't have time to do that.

Last edited:
I looked at the BeerXML output and that may be a way forward - I'll check it out for consistency though too. Hehe

An XML Export of My Inventory would be very useful - a button next to [Bulk Edit] perhaps????

By the way.... why does the complete recipe Export HTML option export files with the .HTML extension whereas the individual export HTML (from View screen) export a file with the .HTM extension?

The filenames also have any space characters stripped out too....
Curious.

Last edited:
I looked at the BeerXML output and that may be a way forward - I'll check it out for consistency though too. Hehe

An XML Export of My Inventory would be very useful - a button next to [Bulk Edit] perhaps????

By the way.... why does the complete recipe Export HTML option export files with the .HTML extension whereas the individual export HTML (from View screen) export a file with the .HTM extension?

The filenames also have any space characters stripped out too....
Curious.
No idea .

We do have a ticket in for doing this btw to look at your inventory, and your recipes and see what recipes are available to brew with toggles for fermentables, yeast, hops, and other. In case you want to brew your iPa recipe, but are okay with substituting the hops, or yeast for example.

Back