Breaking Quarantine

The pubs are all opening out door patios in my area. I'm still not keen to visit for a pint yet, at least not until all of the frenzy of re-opening calms away. But, we are pretty lucky; many many of our local microbreweries have all been offering curb side pick up or even home delivery for the last few weeks. And one unanticipated bonus is a lot of the local brews have started to pop up in the liquor stores a little more often. I've found some great stuff I've been wanting to try but the tap rooms are just too far away.

The creativity we've seen here has been inspiring. Not just brewers finding a way but other businesses too.

The creativity we've seen here has been inspiring. Not just brewers finding a way but other businesses too.
It is rather interesting watching the world go through this change in lifestyle. Some very good things could come from it all eventually. Energy consumption alone is amazing.

Pubs and restaurants still closed here, delivery or pick up only.
Stopped by my favorite Craft Brewery yesterday, picked up $50 worth,and had a quick chat.

It is rather interesting watching the world go through this change in lifestyle. Some very good things could come from it all eventually. Energy consumption alone is amazing.

I do fear that it isn't permanent. I wonder if we will just get back on the excess consumerism crazy train as soon as we possibly can? I'm sure the change is for keeps for some, certainly hoping my changes are permanent, but the staggering queues outside KFC and McShit have been hard to credit so I do think there's an amount of folk who can't wait for 'as you were'

Pubs and restaurants still closed here, delivery or pick up only.
Stopped by my favorite Craft Brewery yesterday, picked up $50 worth,and had a quick chat.

We've been able to work with my favourite local craft brewer and take casks off them, that they're a bit stuck with now, and decant them into bag-in-box to sell on. An interesting process for sure and it makes us friends both with the brewer and the folk who are wanting a proper pint at home.

I do fear that it isn't permanent. I wonder if we will just get back on the excess consumerism crazy train as soon as we possibly can? I'm sure the change is for keeps for some, certainly hoping my changes are permanent, but the staggering queues outside KFC and McShit have been hard to credit so I do think there's an amount of folk who can't wait for 'as you were'

Of course some will want to revert back but some also do realize the possibility in front of them. The work at home if possible thing is catching on with companies as well as employees. More people will make a grocery list before they go to the store and save several trips. Simple changes could add up. This being world wide will be very interesting to watch. I will be thinking positive with my fingers crossed with a half full glass;).

Of course some will want to revert back but some also do realize the possibility in front of them. The work at home if possible thing is catching on with companies as well as employees. More people will make a grocery list before they go to the store and save several trips. Simple changes could add up. This being world wide will be very interesting to watch. I will be thinking positive with my fingers crossed with a half full glass;).

The work from home thing for sure, everybody wins there so that one really should stick.

We've been having happy hour in the back yard with a friend or two for the last few Fridays. We have plenty of room and we're all being diligent about contact, etc. We can sit at separate tables or mill about at a distance. It's been sooo nice to be able to visit a little.

On the other side of that, in a small town near here there's a bar that's banned the wearing of masks altogether (it was inevitable in Texas).

We've been having happy hour in the back yard with a friend or two for the last few Fridays. We have plenty of room and we're all being diligent about contact, etc. We can sit at separate tables or mill about at a distance. It's been sooo nice to be able to visit a little.

On the other side of that, in a small town near here there's a bar that's banned the wearing of masks altogether (it was inevitable in Texas).
Darwin will win, in the end... Had a run-in with a ideological anti-masker this weekend. Was shopping for plants at a local Lowe's when this somewhat overweight, tattooed, unkempt woman without a mask essentially blocks me in the aisle. I ask her kindly for a little extra room since she's not wearing a mask. Note that at no time did I ridicule her lack of a mask nor did I ask that she put one on, I just asked for a little extra room. She did move, but then starts muttering about it being her Constitutional right not to wear a mask just like it's mine to wear one. I had a few choices. I could have asked her where in the Constitution (or the Bill of Rights for that matter) masks are mentioned, I could have pulled out the medical science that tells her how stupid, callous and careless she is being, I could have told her that this has nothing to do with whether she is obligated to wear a mask or not - there is no mask order in Aurora - I'm just asking politely for some extra room since she chooses not to mask, but instead, I walked away. No sense engaging.

It is nice to see others. Mark and Gudrun at Bent Barley are friends and they are going beyond the minimum necessary to reopen their taproom. The woman at Lowe's was likely a minority of people. Even in the Denver protests, masks are nearly ubiquitous (although that may have more to do with anonymity than virus prevention). We must reopen in some fashion but please, people, remember human decency.

/* end rant */

@Nosybear

Some people are so wrapped up in themselves, their own rights and entitlement, that they never stop to think about the impact their behaviour has on other people and are too narcissistic/dumb/ignorant (delete as appropriate) to see the hypocrisy in trampling over other people's rights in the rush to assert their own.

Last edited:
I had my first beer out on Sunday. The beer was good, but the scene felt a little sketchy, to me.
Stay safe and healthy everyone.

Yeah I feel weird going out. A lot of people are doing a shit job of respecting the distances and I don't need to help that nonsense.

The pubs are all opening out door patios in my area. I'm still not keen to visit for a pint yet, at least not until all of the frenzy of re-opening calms away. But, we are pretty lucky; many many of our local microbreweries have all been offering curb side pick up or even home delivery for the last few weeks. And one unanticipated bonus is a lot of the local brews have started to pop up in the liquor stores a little more often. I've found some great stuff I've been wanting to try but the tap rooms are just too far away.

I've bought more than one keg from the local guys while waiting.

@Nosybear

Some people are so wrapped up in themselves, their own rights and entitlement, that they never stop to think about the impact their behaviour has on other people and are too narcissistic/dumb/ignorant (delete as appropriate) to see the hypocrisy in trampling over other people's rights in the rush to assert their own.

Unfortunately that is my brother and I'm about ready to throttle him. Social distancing be damned. He's decided his new girlfriend (That he met in March after this started) should be able to come out and move in with him and my mom. My mom who is paralyzed with poor lung capacity and had a recent double mastectomy. I ended up driving up last weekend to tear a strip off him, and if I have to go back again I may be violent for the first time since high school.

Unfortunately that is my brother and I'm about ready to throttle him. Social distancing be damned. He's decided his new girlfriend (That he met in March after this started) should be able to come out and move in with him and my mom. My mom who is paralyzed with poor lung capacity and had a recent double mastectomy. I ended up driving up last weekend to tear a strip off him, and if I have to go back again I may be violent for the first time since high school.
Here's hoping he'll come to his senses. It's extra bad when this mess causes trouble in the family.

Note that at no time did I ridicule her lack of a mask nor did I ask that she put one on, I just asked for a little extra room.
All it takes is your presence in a mask to remind that person that they're being selfish and self-centered. The defensiveness is instant. I shopped at my local grocery for about 20 minutes the other day. The entire time I was there, the produce guy wore his mask (mandatory for employees) with his nose sticking out. When I was finishing my shopping I stopped to ask whether he wore his mask like that all day and reminded him that it's doing no good at all to do so. Predictably, drama ensued. He knew perfectly well that he was doing wrong and hated being called on it.

Here's hoping he'll come to his senses. It's extra bad when this mess causes trouble in the family.

Yeah I'm already stressed about my mom's health and him being a tool is not helping. My mom called his new girlfriend and talked to her and she sounded like she was just naive and clueless that he was doing this so she might be smart and put a stop to it. That would be the best outcome.

Reactions: J A
Yeah I'm already stressed about my mom's health and him being a tool is not helping. My mom called his new girlfriend and talked to her and she sounded like she was just naive and clueless that he was doing this so she might be smart and put a stop to it. That would be the best outcome.
Wife and I are starting to categorize non-maskers: First there are the Karens, that's the person who knows more about viruses and their propagation from a fifteen minute you-tube video than people who have studied viruses for decades and are happy to tell you all the scientific reasons not to wear a mask. Then there are the "Cutie-Pies", running around with the motto "what, me cover THIS up?" Then there are the Uncivil Libertarians, the ones spoiling for a fight over their "constitutional rights." We sometimes call the "Uncivil Libertarians" "Hazels" after a specific family member. There are the "Booger Brigade," the ones who wear a mask as a sniffle catcher, exposing their noses while covering their mouths. And there are the "Distracted drivers." They have the mask around their neck but somehow forget to pull it up. And last but certainly not least, the "Superheroes," those so young, strong and healthy that nothing could ever happen to them.

Please note that all of these categories are not gender-specific. Anyone else want to throw a category out there? We actually make a bit of a game out of it, kind of like birding, as long as we can keep our distance from them.

Fortunately we haven't had that issue. Good luck with it.

I hope saner heads prevail Hawk

Yeah, turns out he went and bought a new truck today. How he got the approval from the credit app on that is anyone's guess. I am so glad my family has always kept our finances separate from each other even when married.

Back