Breaking Quarantine

Hawk you talking about these people. Floored the other day, guy wearing n95 mask with nose fully out. What’s the point, you may as well wear nothing
9482BE78-296E-45EA-8076-39118114A3F5.jpeg

An all too common sight - the incorrect wearing of masks, that is.

Funny thing yesterday, while hiking with my wife enjoying a new trail, observing birds and flowers, with very few other hikers. As usual, we had bandannas around our necks, ready to deploy as needed. Around a bend comes a young woman, and my wife and I mask up, and step off the trail. The young woman seems startled by our action, and anxiously hurries past without a mask. A few minutes later, my wife says we scared the young woman. Of all the people we encountered on the trail, none were masked. It’s as though nobody expects to encounter another person while hiking. Post-hike beers were most welcome.

Last edited:
Yep, our category of anti-masker for these is "booger catchers."

Of all the people we encountered on the trail, none were masked. It’s as though nobody expects to encounter another person while hiking.
People seem to think that being outside allows unlimited space and that distancing is automatic. They don't realize that there's often no place to walk or stand except a narrow trail where hikers pass shoulder to shoulder.
When I take a walk in the neighborhood, I don't bother with a mask. It's not a crowded place and the few people I pass over the course of 2-3 miles of walking can easily avoid one another by passing on opposite sides of the street. If we head to a walking trail of any sort (and only ones that are not crowded and have wide paths) it's definitely mask on or at the ready. Same as with your experience, most people just don't have masks at all.

I have not worn one much, largely due to not knowing how to get one. But I've started trying to do it more out of solidarity than true fear for myself and it's weird how many people might as well not wear one at all. When I don't have one I do what I can, breathe through my nose, keep distance, etc... but amazing how many people are almost belligerently doing it wrong.

Maybe because we're brewers and we can see how little careless it takes to ruin an entire process?

An all too common sight - the incorrect wearing of masks, that is.

Funny thing yesterday, while hiking with my wife enjoying a new trail, observing birds and flowers, with very few other hikers. As usual, we had bandannas around our necks, ready to deploy as needed. Around a bend comes a young woman, and my wife and I mask up, and step off the trail. The young woman seems startled by our action, and anxiously hurries past without a mask. A few minutes later, my wife says we scared the young woman. Of all the people we encountered on the trail, none were masked. It’s as though nobody expects to encounter another person while hiking. Post-hike beers were most welcome.
Ah what you didn't see any hikers in their underware with their willys poking out:D:D!
You know them real back to nature hikers :p:p!

No Ben, no willys out. We did another big hike today - saw two mountain bikers masked up, and one other hiker. Otherwise, nobody wears masks. An older couple with a dog crossed our path, he swilling a bud light and rambling. Very disappointing to find a fresh empty bud light can on the trail from where they came. Knuckleheads!
Enjoying good real beer at the cabin now.
And we just felt a little earthquake to add to the fun.

Last edited:
No Ben, no willys out. We did another big hike today - saw two mountain bikers masked up, and one other hiker. Otherwise, nobody wears masks. An older couple with a dog crossed our path, he swilling a bud light and rambling. Very disappointing to find a fresh empty bud light can on the trail from where they came. Knuckleheads!
Enjoying good real beer at the cabin now.
And we just felt a little earthquake to add to the fun.

So @Herm_brews, what upset you more, the fact that the can was on the ground or that it once contained Bud Light? :D

Well, I wouldn’t drink bud light if I was dying of thirst, but the litter left in the forest is what really irritates me.
Hafta agree with getting ticked with the thoughtless idiots that don't have the strength to smash a can and stick it in their back pocket. I have been in some very remote areas and there lies a can or baggie or plastic wrapper. Totally unnecessary. I have a pouch in my hunting butt pack just to clean up after those fools who are selfish thoughtless worthless bastards that leave trash behind. I despise those who have no respect for our back country. If i sound like a loud mouth about this then bring it... Highway littering is bad enough, why take it out there?

Hafta agree with getting ticked with the thoughtless idiots that don't have the strength to smash a can and stick it in their back pocket. I have been in some very remote areas and there lies a can or baggie or plastic wrapper. Totally unnecessary. I have a pouch in my hunting butt pack just to clean up after those fools who are selfish thoughtless worthless bastards that leave trash behind. I despise those who have no respect for our back country. If i sound like a loud mouth about this then bring it... Highway littering is bad enough, why take it out there?
I've got zero tolerance for litter...anywhere.

I sent an email to our local news radio station a while back asking them to report the numbers in our region differently. Last week they started doing this. Today's report is that close to 90% of cases have recovered. There are 115 active cases, 65 of which are in long term care facilities, 15 of which are in hospital, which leaves 35 cases that are at home self-quarantined. The population in our region (3 cities, and rural areas) is between 500,000 and 600,000. This seems very encouraging to me, I am hoping for an announcement today that we can go on our camping at the end of this month.

Oh for a little bit of Normalicy eh:confused::)!
Pubs are open now in QLD 20 people in one room all have to be seated at a table no milling around at the bar.
We're also alowed to travel anywhere in the state as well yay! But interstate travel isn't an option at this point

I'm seeing a lot of reports of "cases increasing" and at the same time, "increases in number of people tested." That's naturally going to find more cases.... So we'll have to rely on hospitalization rate as a good metric.

Well, fantastic news!
The Ontario Government has announced that they will be opening our Provincial Parks!
I will be going camping for eight nights starting June 25th. WOOOOOO EFFEN HOOOOOOO
We have full washroom facility in our trailer, so we will be more socially distanced from people when camping than we are at home!!!

Well, fantastic news!
The Ontario Government has announced that they will be opening our Provincial Parks!
I will be going camping for eight nights starting June 25th. WOOOOOO EFFEN HOOOOOOO
We have full washroom facility in our trailer, so we will be more socially distanced from people when camping than we are at home!!!

Worst part of this so far was missing our annual Memorial Day camping trip.

I'm seeing a lot of reports of "cases increasing" and at the same time, "increases in number of people tested." That's naturally going to find more cases.... So we'll have to rely on hospitalization rate as a good metric.
Coda: Colorado reported its first increase in hospitalizations, a metric I consider reliable, since mid April today.

Back