What is Ben having for Breakfast?

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Ben! We are all wondering, it is Saturday mor ing in Aus! What is on your plate this morning?
It is 6:30PM here in Eastern Standard Time, I have been into a couple double IPA's, I could seriously go for a plate of bacon eggs and home fries...

Of course when I say "we are all wondering" I mean me:cool:

Oh gee Fellas sorry to let you all down but of course I had bacon and eggs on my home baked sourdough breadbread!:p
It's a weekend tradition here in my home here in Palmwoods there's always bacon and eggs and bread involved on a weekend morn for brekkie:cool:.
Having three Chooks well fed with brewers spent grain you just have to incorporate lovely sunny eggs into your diet whenever possible.
I'll go through a fried egg phase for awhile if you want to know (which is the current parallel covid situation) then when I'm feeling runny I'll go for the dark art of "the poached egg":eek::)!
There is always baked beans involved I'll have you not doubt that this after bread is for all occasions first slapped onto the bread before all them protine gut filling lovely toppings.
If you will I'm prone to slicing some tomatoes and frying these along with my bacon and eggs and if there's some growing I'll drape come spinnach leaves atop for some steam action for that added iron intake.

Remember boys and girls Lady's and gentlemen you gotta Eat like a King/Queen for Brekkie and a porper for dinner:rolleyes:.

You k ow if I'd caught it early there would have been some evidence provided but it's muslie and home made fermented filmjolk untill next Saturday...

Oh and @Herm_brews she's too chilly for bare foot patio breakfasts now my man ugg boots are dusted off and ready for bare stink foot duty:p

...home made fermented filmjolk untill next Saturday...
What's that Ben? Sounds like something in my native language but I don't think I've heard about it being fermented, and never used in English language.

Ll
What's that Ben? Sounds like something in my native language but I don't think I've heard about it being fermented, and never used in English language.
Yeah been fermenting milk with filmjolk culture for at least half a year now I love the stuff originally i posted it in a thread on fermenting vegetables it's the one that stuck.
20200524_181426.jpg

Disclaimer there is filmjolk sold at the store here in Aus me being a brewer thought hey if I keep a bit of this here thick milk I can culture up a bottle of milk if kept at the right ferm temp..yep I do that for about 6 gens then it gets too sour and I revert back to the base (store filmjolk):)

Having three Chooks well fed with brewers spent grain you just have to incorporate lovely sunny eggs into your diet whenever possible.
I haven't had room to brew since we got our 4 chickens (the canceled-wedding beer conundrum), but I suspect they're going to be pretty damn happy with their first batch of spent grains! :)
Do you find that they over eat or ignore their layer feed in the presence of spent grain? I've read that too much "junkfood" can cut into their nutrition and have a negative impact on egg production.

I haven't had room to brew since we got our 4 chickens (the canceled-wedding beer conundrum), but I suspect they're going to be pretty damn happy with their first batch of spent grains! :)
Do you find that they over eat or ignore their layer feed in the presence of spent grain? I've read that too much "junkfood" can cut into their nutrition and have a negative impact on egg production.
I would for sure limit the amount given at any one time and we limit it a bit more in the hot summer months. We also like to scatter it on the ground just like you would scratch. Treats aren't going to hurt, but of course feed a good quality layer mash or crumble once they start laying. We also use a little grit. Chickens are incredibly hearty though and I've seen them eat mice, frogs, and just about everything in my garden.

Yeah I just dump the whole lot in one pile they go for gold and end up scratching it all about.
As Thunderwagon pointed at they eat near on anything including legless lizards they look like baby snakes hence the name.
I even had a Currawong (a large magpie type bird here in Aus) corner a pigeon and kill it in the pen and the bloody Chook had a crack at the pigeon too trying to take the kill off the Currawong who was struggling to fly off with the weight of the pigeon.

Here's a pic of a Currawong
images.jpeg-1.jpg

Treats aren't going to hurt, but of course feed a good quality layer mash or crumble once they start laying. We also use a little grit.
The gals get a handful of scratch (cracked corn and malted barley) in the morning at egg-gathering and when it's time to get back in the coop in the evening. They get some meal worms then, too. They have oystershell grit available and I crush eggshells for them every day and treat them to a few blueberries.
I wouldn't them to have much more than they're already getting, as they're laying like machines and I don't want to tip the balance.
When I have some spent grains, I may freeze it and throw a chunk into the run every now and then. During the worst of the heat here, they could use a little help with thermal regulation. :)

As Thunderwagon pointed at they eat near on anything including legless lizards they look like baby snakes hence the name.
Yeah, as soon as I started letting them out in the yard, they cleaned out all the grass snakes. ;)

Yeah, as soon as I started letting them out in the yard, they cleaned out all the grass snakes. ;)
Yeah their ferocious.
Oh and when one gets clukky that's a sight to behold they go into a weird stoned like trance and God help any poor unsuspecting pet like the family dog the clukky chook goes Kamikaze style on the dog feet first trying to gouge it's eyes out :p.

They are an endless source of amusement the old chook I'm glad I've got them around.

Reactions: J A
Back in Kentucky where I'm originally from, they control ticks, too. Not many ticks (or much of anything else for chickens to eat) here in Colorado...

Yeah their ferocious.
Oh and when one gets clukky that's a sight to behold they go into a weird stoned like trance and God help any poor unsuspecting pet like the family dog the clukky chook goes Kamikaze style on the dog feet first trying to gouge it's eyes out :p.

They are an endless source of amusement the old chook I'm glad I've got them around.
Our gals are very low-key and sociable so far. No psycho-chicken shenanigans. But the cat definitely gives them a wide berth.They pretty much ignore one another but even when they're just scratchin' and peckin' the cat will up and vacate if they get too close. :)

Back in Kentucky where I'm originally from, they control ticks, too. Not many ticks (or much of anything else for chickens to eat) here in Colorado...
They love grasshoppers too. So do turkeys. We used to free range (aka fattening up :) ) our turkeys all summer along with a lot of our chickens and they did a great job keeping things cleared out.

Back